News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Alternative medicine

Started by TomFoolery, February 05, 2016, 10:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 05, 2016, 04:20:47 PM
Hypnosis definitely a suggestive shit. Like all medidation teqniques.

The farce can have a strong influence on the weak minded.

stromboli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

QuoteNutritional values for nutritional yeast vary from one manufacturer to another. On average, two tablespoons provides 60 calories with 5 g of carbohydrates (of which 4 g is fiber). A serving also provides 9 g of protein and is a complete protein, providing all nine amino acids the human body cannot produce. While fortified and unfortified nutritional yeast both provide iron, the fortified yeast provides 20 percent of the recommended daily value, while unfortified yeast provides only 5 percent. Unfortified nutritional yeast provides from 35 to 100 percent of vitamins B1 and B2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica#Nutrient_content_and_food_uses

QuoteA 100-gram serving of chia seeds is a rich source of the B vitamins thiamine and niacin (54% and 59%, respectively of the daily value (DV), and a good source of the B vitamins riboflavin and folate (14% and 12%, respectively). The same amount of chia seeds is also a rich source of the dietary minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc (>20% DV). See chart pictured at right for complete nutritional information.

In 2009, the European Union approved chia seeds as a novel food, allowing up to 5% of a bread product's total matter.[10]

Chia seeds may be added to other foods as a topping or put into smoothies, breakfast cereals, energy bars, granola bars, yogurt, tortillas, bread, made into a gelatin-like substance, or consumed raw.[11][12][13][14] The gel can be used to replace as much as 25% of egg content and oil in cakes while providing other nutrients.[15]

Understand that these are simple foods that provide multiple nutrients in one serving. I wish Sabrina was here, she could explain this to you.

Stevia is a very good substitute for sugar with twice the sweetening power and zero calories. It is derived from a plant like sugar.

When you make a blanket statement that herbs are junk, all that tells me is you haven't done any reading. I study up on every plant or supplement or herb I hear about and determine the efficacy of said herb or plant prior to either using it or avoiding it.

Granted, you have idiots like Dr. Oz touting various quack shit; GNC and other companies sell bogus crap and label it as something other than what they sell. There is no equivalent to the Food and Drug administration for herbal or alternative medicines, but not all herbs or remedies that come directly from nature are bad.

Plants are drug factories. A local plant I know about contains Ephedra, which is a strong natural stimulant. The Apaches used to chew it and run for hours in stalking game. I ain't telling you what it is; but I used it long ago with good results.  :13:

JBCuzISaidSo

Okay. I had a third nipple. Not *really*, but it was a mole on a mole, in an area designated by design as where a third nipple might show up. Being a bikini wearer of sorts, it seemed important to do what I could do here. So I did.

Apple Cider Vinegar, held to by a soaked cotton ball bit and a band-aid and Neosporin the rest of the time, that stuff ate right through every mole bit that extra part had, there was actually a dying blood supply that stuck out for a few days. Really, scratch it up with a nail file, then band aid on a cotton ball chunk soaked in ACV, leave it overnight, then neosporin until the next night, then you rescratch and reapply acv, your moles are gone. Within a week I was clear.

Believe what you want to about alternative medicine, some of that shit actually works. ACV ingested makes me puke, but I gladly take it in pill form, made in the USA and shipped to my door.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Hydra009

Quote from: TomFoolery on February 05, 2016, 02:18:27 PMLast night I was chatting with a friend of mine on Facebook about this Zika virus thing and we were laughing about conspiracy theories saying Big Pharma invented this to make a fortune off of selling vaccines.
That's a pretty strange idea given that there is currently no vaccine on offer.  I guess chalking it up to a preferred villain is mentally easier than dealing with a world where bad things happen as a matter of course and we can't really do a whole lot about it.

Mermaid

I have seen acupuncture work in veterinary patients. I don't write it off as bullshit.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 05, 2016, 07:22:52 PM
That's a pretty strange idea given that there is currently no vaccine on offer.  I guess chalking it up to a preferred villain is mentally easier than dealing with a world where bad things happen as a matter of course and we can't really do a whole lot about it.

http://qz.com/609291/this-indian-biotech-firm-is-the-worlds-first-to-ready-a-zika-vaccine-for-testing/

But it's still not like there's a lot of profit to be had given the main consumers of this vaccine are in developing or third world countries, and if you only make dollars a day, you can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on vaccines. (Or hundreds of dollars a month on immunosuppressant drugs that you need from all those autoimmune disorders that vaccines supposedly cause.)
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

AllPurposeAtheist

Everyone ought to try apricot seed tea.. It's loaded with arsenic.. The middle of apricot seeds contain a bunch of the poison.. Really,  don't drink it unless you have a hankering for cardiac arrest..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

Quote from: TomFoolery on February 05, 2016, 07:26:58 PM
http://qz.com/609291/this-indian-biotech-firm-is-the-worlds-first-to-ready-a-zika-vaccine-for-testing/

But it's still not like there's a lot of profit to be had given the main consumers of this vaccine are in developing or third world countries, and if you only make dollars a day, you can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on vaccines. (Or hundreds of dollars a month on immunosuppressant drugs that you need from all those autoimmune disorders that vaccines supposedly cause.)
I don't agree that it's only a worry to developing countries. It is a very real threat to the US. I think a vaccine will be made relatively soon.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Quote from: Mermaid on February 05, 2016, 07:25:33 PM
I have seen acupuncture work in veterinary patients. I don't write it off as bullshit.
Anecdotal evidence is notoriously unreliable.  If I strongly valued it, I'd probably be a devotee of every religion on the planet and a firm believer in Bigfoot by now.  Probably a good idea not to make conclusions based on it.

Studies on the topic don't show much of anything in the way of effectiveness:

"We found a small analgesic effect of acupuncture that seems to lack clinical relevance and cannot be clearly distinguished from bias. Whether needling at acupuncture points, or at any site, reduces pain independently of the psychological impact of the treatment ritual is unclear."

Hydra009

Johan

I have a huge problem with just about anything that can be labelled alternative medicine. Namely that because it is largely unregulated, there is far too much ability for misleading consumers with unproven or outright false claims of efficacy.

While this fact is far from the only factor involved, it is definitely a very real contributor to a chain of choices that resulted in my sister ending up in an urn right now instead of being alive and kicking.

Which is to say that I have a problem with alternative medicine because it can and does kill people with almost no liability on the part of those who profit from it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 05, 2016, 07:50:00 PM
Anecdotal evidence is notoriously unreliable. 
I am fully aware of that.

stromboli

I've had bad personal experiences with chiropracty so don't have a problem labeling it woo. so-called alternative medicine, as Johan pointed out, is not regulated so therefore not trustworthy. I only speak in defense of herbs that I have studied and know the value of.
yoga is a good tool for strengthening and stretching limbs; my wife did it while she was able to combat her MS.

Various people, including Joe Montana, have touted the health benefits of acupuncture. He claimed it saved his career.

Some of the other stuff I have no knowledge of so can't comment.

Johan

I have no doubt that most chiropractors are very well trained and very well versed in whatever it is that they do. But nearly all of them insist that you address them as doctor. That right there is where they lose me. Yes the fact that they, like all other alternative 'healers' can claim just about anything they like (cure cancer, mental illness, leaky roof etc) without any need for proof nor any liability exposure is also a problem. But the doctor thing? Yeah, I got a problem with that. A person that receives chiropractic training is a doctor the same way that a person who climbs to the top of mountain is an astronaut.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

PickelledEggs

Yes. Chiropractic "care" is a load of shit. I've heard from just about every one I've went to that they "heal you" from realigning the Chakras...  Or some bullshit like that.

That being said, I have had a bone out of place one or twice and a good chiropractor can pop that shit right back where it needs to be. I've had a chiropractor do it poorly too, so it's kind of hit or miss if you have a good or a shit chiropractor. They're all some level of bullshit, but at least some know how to put your spine back in to place.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using your mom