News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Alternative medicine

Started by TomFoolery, February 05, 2016, 10:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

So watching this commercial during the super bowl a out Ziflaxin or some shit and they use a fucking little intestine cartoon figure..I have to ask what kind of fucking moron comes up with that shit..  Who's got the shits so bad that they need a little cartoon of their intestine to talk to their doctor about what medicine to take?  Better yet, what kind of mind thinks in terms of cartoons and having the shits? What the fuck is wrong with the world and why isn't there a cartoon character for really powerful pain medication like fentynol but there is one for the shits? Surely pain meds would seem to be more fun than diahrea medicine..or something like that..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

TomFoolery

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 07, 2016, 09:19:42 PM
Who's got the shits so bad that they need a little cartoon of their intestine to talk to their doctor about what medicine to take?

I've never understood drug commercials that tell you to: "Let your doctor know if you have diabetes or have had cancer before taking <insert fancy drug name here>."

Like shouldn't my doctor already fucking know if I have diabetes? If they don't, they're a shitty physician and shouldn't be prescribing me so much as a cup of hot tea.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

Quote from: Johan on February 07, 2016, 02:49:02 PM
Marketing? Sure. However the makers of regulated products are subject to heavy fines if they make any kind of label claim or advertising claim about their product which they cannot back up with FDA verified independent third party testing. Unregulated products are not subject to the same fines nor are they required to do any third party testing and are therefore free to make virtually any  claims they like on label and in advertising. The makers of regulated products are most certainly able to utilize marketing in order to increase sales. But to suggest that we're dealing with a level playing field between the two, as your flippant comment about how gullible people are seems to do, is perhaps a bit ignorant IMO.

Shrub and Obozo are both war criminals ... are they in jail yet?  You probably think that Mayberry RFD is how things really are ... if you grew up when I did ;-)  Like Bill "the dick" Clinton would say ... it all depends on which definition of "marketing" you are using.  What I see on TV tends to confirm my skepticism about people's good intentions (in anything that makes money) and how much legal rectitude people actually are fulfilling (or is that rectum-tude?).  And yes, if consumers weren't idiots (and voters) we would be in an entirely different kind of society.  Thank god they are all very serious people ... and geniuses.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 07, 2016, 09:19:42 PM
So watching this commercial during the super bowl a out Ziflaxin or some shit and they use a fucking little intestine cartoon figure..I have to ask what kind of fucking moron comes up with that shit..  Who's got the shits so bad that they need a little cartoon of their intestine to talk to their doctor about what medicine to take?  Better yet, what kind of mind thinks in terms of cartoons and having the shits? What the fuck is wrong with the world and why isn't there a cartoon character for really powerful pain medication like fentynol but there is one for the shits? Surely pain meds would seem to be more fun than diahrea medicine..or something like that..

You make my point.  Patients (who then pressure their doctors, who are being pressured by that highly ethical pharma salesperson) really do respond to advertisements that employ cartoon versions of small intestines.  And this is ignoring all the great work that the big intestine does!  They would pay for them, particularly what they cost at the Superbowl, if they weren't fairly effective.  This is no post to say that the product advertised is good or bad for you.  Yes ... and they had the big cartoon for Pokemon ... makes you want to go out and collect them all ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: TomFoolery on February 07, 2016, 10:13:40 PM
I've never understood drug commercials that tell you to: "Let your doctor know if you have diabetes or have had cancer before taking <insert fancy drug name here>."
Translation:  absolve us of legal liability if you take this drug and you croak.  We told you to clue in your doctor so that he/she would caution against taking this drug to prevent exactly that sort of situation.  We figure that it's unlikely you both would be idiots.

Mr.Obvious

I once had accupuncture done on my hands for a schoolproject.
Most stressed out experience I had all week.
I hate needles so damn much. It's a bother enough I'm confronted with them every time I donate plasma.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Johan

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2016, 11:15:51 PM
Shrub and Obozo are both war criminals ... are they in jail yet?  You probably think that Mayberry RFD is how things really are ... if you grew up when I did ;-)  Like Bill "the dick" Clinton would say ... it all depends on which definition of "marketing" you are using.  What I see on TV tends to confirm my skepticism about people's good intentions (in anything that makes money) and how much legal rectitude people actually are fulfilling (or is that rectum-tude?).  And yes, if consumers weren't idiots (and voters) we would be in an entirely different kind of society.  Thank god they are all very serious people ... and geniuses.
What the fuck are you talking about?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Quote from: Johan on February 08, 2016, 07:03:54 PM
What the fuck are you talking about?

We live in an ideal land, like Lake Woebegone, where all the children are above average.  People believe that the FDA is a government agency.  That government folks actually do their job.  That their job actually involves taking care of the public good.  Pink elephants and Santa's helpers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on February 08, 2016, 08:12:06 PM
We live in an ideal land, like Lake Woebegone, where all the children are above average.  People believe that the FDA is a government agency.  That government folks actually do their job.  That their job actually involves taking care of the public good.  Pink elephants and Santa's helpers.
Are you on drugs?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Johan

aaaaand we're done here.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

At least if you plant Pod People, they will come up in the Spring and show a beautiful flower, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

You're fuckin with me right? This is some sort of random word/sentence generator isn't it? Or maybe your bong water is just that good....

Sal1981

You might live in such a "land"; if only you just talked less in euphemisms and sarcastically, I might get what the fuck you're saying.