Headteacher mocked for claiming evolution is not a fact

Started by josephpalazzo, February 03, 2016, 02:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerard

Frankly I'm inclined to react badly these days to people who, using nifty syllogisms and notions about logic that are strangely convenient to their POV, think they've got it all figured out, but don't actually know stuff. Especially when they get on a high horse and demand to be provided with evidence that would refute their self concocted rationalizations about how they're right and everybody else (including the scientific community) is wrong.

Gerard

Baruch

There are amino acids among the stars ... and it was demonstrated 60 years ago, that amino acids can be spontaneously generated in a primitive atmosphere by lightning and other energy inputs.  This is happening now.  But it takes special conditions, that we don't understand, to generate the earliest life forms from these more or less organic molecules.  I would suspect that the existence of a developed biosphere, selects against new photo-life forms forming.  But out among those recently discovered exo-planets, it probably is going on.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gerard

Quote from: Baruch on February 24, 2016, 06:40:10 PM
There are amino acids among the stars ... and it was demonstrated 60 years ago, that amino acids can be spontaneously generated in a primitive atmosphere by lightning and other energy inputs.  This is happening now.  But it takes special conditions, that we don't understand, to generate the earliest life forms from these more or less organic molecules.  I would suspect that the existence of a developed biosphere, selects against new photo-life forms forming.  But out among those recently discovered exo-planets, it probably is going on.

Sure, but that's not biological evolution. Just organic molecules. Organic molecules certainly played a part in the origin of life. But that's another matter altogether. Evolution begins after life originated

Gerard

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gerard on February 24, 2016, 07:01:30 PM
Sure, but that's not biological evolution. Just organic molecules. Organic molecules certainly played a part in the origin of life. But that's another matter altogether. Evolution begins after life originated

Gerard

Yeah, the study of life arising from inert matter is called abiogenesis. A lot of people confuse that with evolutionary biology.

Hijiri Byakuren

Okay guys, I wasn't banned for trolling even though I made it very obvious that I trolling, which I take to mean trolling is now allowed. So I guess we can't ban this troll. Glad this was made so clear in the site rules. :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Don't tempt fate.  Please, let's all just try to go about our business normally and not try to make the situation worse.  And if you have to disagree, do so in a decently polite way so as to not have the recepient reject the message because of the tone.

stromboli

What a fun thread. 100,000 years from now an alien race will reclaim it from the the ether, read it, and laugh themselves into hysterics. Carry on.

Draconic Aiur

wolf39us

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 24, 2016, 09:01:44 PM
Okay guys, I wasn't banned for trolling even though I made it very obvious that I trolling, which I take to mean trolling is now allowed. So I guess we can't ban this troll. Glad this was made so clear in the site rules. :lol:

[mod]I suggest you refrain from intentionally antagonizing a moderator[/mod]

drunkenshoe

I think what triggers regulars with posters like Daniel is a few certain things:

-they almost never introduce themselves or they turn their introduction thread into a "I'll teach you how wrong you are, atheists" topic.

-they do not try to build a conversation and go from there, but they show -again- a deliberately agitated stance themselves from the moment they get into the forum. The interaction starts from an already escalated point right there.

-all their attitude is based on "I'm right and you are wrong and I am here to show you this in a minute". They are not really here to have a communication to present an opinion, but show a group full of a forum how stupid they are.

While I completely agree with Pickel on principle, I have to say that at most times what carries the situation to this point is the escalation these posters create themselves to begin with. Should we take the bait, of course we shouldn't. We should ignore them after it is obvious what they are after which is the ideal, but if you think what this forum stands for and that it doesn't have much traffic, it is not possible at most times.

People here want this space to be free form the usual mainstream bullshit -can't blame them- they see everywhere and get triggered and attack at some point. The world outside belongs to Daniels. We are a minority that is considered 'extreme' and 'radical'.

Having said all that these posters could be given suspensions instead of pushing the banhammer. 3 days, 1 week, 1 month.... A scale. May be that would work better.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 24, 2016, 09:01:44 PM

Daniel has been been banned. You are a regular so you are given more leeway than he was, but it stops now if you don't want to join him. 
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Daniel2021 on February 24, 2016, 12:30:24 PM
Scientific Theories are concise statements that elucidate mechanisms validated by Scientific Hypotheses.  If you need more than 3 sentences, you got yourself a story not a Scientific Theory.

I know Danny boy is gone, but I wanted to address this little gem because it is flat out wrong.

Quotescientific theory
noun
1. a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation:
example: the scientific theory of evolution.

It was pointed out in several posts that the theory of evolution is complex. It cannot be explained in its entirety in a sentence, paragraph or even a volume of encyclopedias. It is not a law. It will never be a law. It can not be expressed as a single mathematical formula. It covers many things because there is no single reason or driving force behind evolution. The theory that explains the hows and whys of evolution does change as new observations are made. It has been repeatedly confirmed through both observation and experimentation. New hypothesis related to evolution are developed and either rejected and confirmed on a regular basis.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 25, 2016, 08:25:53 AM
I know Danny boy is gone, but I wanted to address this little gem because it is flat out wrong.

Thank God... oh wait... er, huh, ... never mind...

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 25, 2016, 07:52:29 AM
Daniel has been been banned. You are a regular so you are given more leeway than he was, but it stops now if you don't want to join him. 
Okay, dude, I don't have to be told twice. Shut the fuck up and let it go already.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PopeyesPappy

Apparently you do. The warning I posted was the result of a discussion between the mods. It was the least of the options being discussed. Tell me to shut the fuck up again, and you'll earn yourself a temp ban.