News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ravens may have a Theory of Mind

Started by PopeyesPappy, February 03, 2016, 10:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

QuoteTheory of mind (often abbreviated ToM) is the ability to attribute mental states â€" beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc. â€" to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, intentions, and perspectives that are different from one's own.

QuoteSomething helped propel us to learn language, built political institutions, develop arts and culture. Many biologists and philosophers think it's our ability to see things through another person's eyes, and to think about what they might be thinking, skills referred to as "Theory of Mind." But ravens do have basic Theory of Mind, the authors suggest, after cracking one of the biggest puzzles in animal cognition debates: without speech, how can we tell what a bird is thinking?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0202/Ravens-may-have-a-Theory-of-Mind-say-scientists
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

Honestly would not surprise me. I've seen behavior with Ravens and Crows that certainly implies intelligence. At some national parks, Ravens and Crows have learned to beg food from the visitors and will even perch on your fist and eat out of your hand. Very canny birds. They are very good at reading people; as good as dogs, certainly.

josephpalazzo

Just look of how many steps were needed to solve this problem, yet the crow did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVaITA7eBZE

PopeyesPappy

I know people that would have a hard time with that.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

drunkenshoe

I met crows smarter than my old neighbour downstairs. She hated them and I always thought she somehow instinctively got that they are smarter. :lol:

I have seen the videos and read the research about ravens, but I watched crows doing incredible stuff. Like sreepy scary stuff. I had an old long post on that last time we had a similar thread. Man. Crows rule in the city. Love them.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

My Native American totem is ... Raven ;-)

I have heard that cats know when a person hates cats.  The cats deliberately take steps to annoy such people ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

And here I thought this was about the Baltimore Ravens football team.. They had this theory that they would beat the Cincinnati Bengals, but they were WRONG!  HA!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Unbeliever

Could any of the Baltimore Ravens pass the mirror test?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman