News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Death Penalty

Started by The Skeletal Atheist, February 02, 2016, 06:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdlr110

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 02, 2016, 07:26:46 PM
Some people  simply need to die!  That said, I cannot support the death penalty as the US applies it.  There are too many cases that later show up to have been in error.  That is unacceptable.  Charles Manson did not deserve to live; especially as he was housed in prison.  He should have been put into a cell with a bed and toilet and that's it.  Anyway, no death penalty.   

And imagine the horror and what must be complete disbelief of a wrongly convicted inmate being strapped in - proclaiming as most do,  their innocence - right to the very end.
I'm against it. It's a very simplified reason for me. I couldn't flip the switch, push the button,  pull the lever,  or plunge the needle myself,  so i can't expect that it be done by somebody else.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

hrdlr110

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 03, 2016, 09:47:19 PM
Yeah, that is a factor, isn't it??  Your loved ones................If my wife were hurt on purpose, my daughter, my grandchildren, my dogs---well, I'm not too sure I'd not simply off them given the chance.   I am convinced that if someone enters my house with bad intentions, they are history if I can manage it.  If Charles Manson had killed my mother, I am positive I would not want him sitting around watching TV, giving interviews, smoking cigs--or doing anything but dying.  I really hope I never get tested in this area.

I think few would argue that there is a huge difference between killing in self defence vs the death penalty. If your aim is to kill others,  it'll need to be over my own dead body.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

SGOS

I'm perplexed by the need for complexity and quality control in executions.  Why the need for three chemical ingredients administered in the proper order, a procedure that if bungled by the technician can result in unnecessary suffering?  Killing something quickly is not that difficult.  My dog was given a simple overdose of barbiturates and was gone in 5 seconds, seemingly without any pain or discomfort.

But the use of mechanical devices used in execution make them seem like Rube Goldberg contraptions designed to be unique, but still horrifying enough to get the point across that we are killing this guy, as if this has something to do with being humane.  There is no need for the theatrics of caring after he's been sitting in his cell for months where he can do nothing but lose hope and come to terms with his own death.

Stalin would take some guy into a small courtyard and shoot him in the back of the head so that they wouldn't get blood all over Stalin's office.  No need for a big production. 

TomFoolery

I've often assumed that the use of multiple drugs or machinery and technology was sort of a weak attempt to remove the executioner from the act and make the death "tidier" so that it doesn't seem as barbaric. You can flip the switch of an electric chair or a gas chamber or delivery of a drug cocktail at a distance, whereas beheading someone is kind of messy and up close and personal.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

aitm

Even Helium. When a certain "date" range for execution is met he is moved to a air tight room and on any given night the room is pumped with Helium. Cheap and easy.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on February 05, 2016, 11:00:27 AM
Even Helium. When a certain "date" range for execution is met he is moved to a air tight room and on any given night the room is pumped with Helium. Cheap and easy.

That's why I admire you, aitm. Clever solutions mixed with a kind and gentle heart.  :03:

Baruch

H. H. Holmes, America's first famous serial killer (1890s) would use natural gas (without the stink additive).  Y'all are such bloodthirsty folks ... brings tears to my cruel eyes, sniff ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jannabear

The idea of, in order to punish a murderer we have to murder them, is insane.
It's an eye for an eye, a completely barbaric and idiotic way of thinking about the judicial system.
If this mindset is justifiable if someone cuts off someones dick should the punishment be we cut off their genitalia?

Baruch

Code of Hammurabi to be exact, pre-Biblical ... in Babylon.  Yes, you would get an organ removed.  If an eye doctor, causes an eye to be lost, because of malpractice, the law required his eye to be removed.  No messy fines.  I agree that punishment is crap ... but so is rewarding crime, like we do now ... if done by a certain upper class of assholes.  Life isn't fair, law or no law.  The law is always for the upper class assholes, the police are there to protect them from you (and get a little legal crime for themselves).

The Code of Hammurabi was an improvement.  Before that it was Hatfields vs McCoys.  If a doctor messed up, the patient's family could exact unlimited revenge against him and his family, forever.  The purpose of all law, is to selectively put society into two parts, the self-righteous assholes, and those who are just assholes.  The upper class assholes are a subset of the self-righteous ones.  They can blend into their fellow travelers, those who think they might be upper class some day.  Middle class assholes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

I'm against the death penalty because there are serious problems in the legal system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L30_hfuZoQ8

Baruch

Agreed ... the death penalty is a political act, and I HATE politics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

I have no problem with the death penalty There are plenty of people that deserve it. Getting to the decision for that is my problem. Meeting it out, is my problem. Give me the reins....ima fix it for you.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 02, 2020, 11:20:46 AM
I have no problem with the death penalty There are plenty of people that deserve it. Getting to the decision for that is my problem. Meeting it out, is my problem. Give me the reins....ima fix it for you.

My feeling exactly.  Genocidal results ... aren't my damn fault.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 02, 2020, 08:10:30 AM
I'm against the death penalty because there are serious problems in the legal system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L30_hfuZoQ8

This is my main concern with the death penalty.

I am not opposed to killing murderers, but the problem is there are way too many instances of innocent people being killed because... well, because of either their skin colour or their economic status. That is simply unacceptable, and if innocent people have to die so that the guilty can be put down as well... I'm not comfortable with that trade.

I am fully in favour of the self-proclaimed Nazis in our country being round up and shot though. Hard to get that one wrong when they are literally out there admitting their guilt.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

I want all communist revolutionaries shot, for treason.  Do you think this is fair?

Or maybe we should check our self-righteousness, and embrace humanity with humility rather than Hitler/Stalin?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.