UK gives go-ahead to genetically modify human embryos

Started by PopeyesPappy, February 01, 2016, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

trdsf

I saw this on the BBC News website this morning, and I don't know where I am on it.  I think it's an important area of research, but I don't deny a strong "um... eep!" factor.  Also, it seems a bit of a dead-end area of research until and unless they do implant them to see if they get what they expect.  So I'm going to remain torn: sure, the scare phrase "designer babies" gets thrown around (and I think that's all that is, is a scare phrase and not the goal of research), but there's considerable appeal to the idea that things like cystic fibrosis, hemophilia and Down syndrome might be treated at the embryonic level.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

aitm

Ve need da zooper zoldiers to fight zee muzlem scum
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Super soliders and Scarlet Johanssons? Is that all you want?  :bluegrab:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Mother of all clones ... y'all already knew that England was the hot-bed of anti-bio-ethics.  They had the first cloned animal, and have already added human DNA to sheep.  And you think this is so we can cure a few genetic diseases?  Holy Dr Mengele!

See in the real world, the English and Americans defeated Germany and Japan (forgetting Russia and China for a moment) because they are actually more evil than the Germans/Japanese ... in the sense more long term evil rather than short term evil.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.