Started by Fluffhead, March 21, 2013, 03:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffhead

[size=150]
?But I Sure Have Some Powerful Pills?
[/size][/color]

Colanth

He does have a pretty good point.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Brian37

Exactly who is he arguing with because even if he wants to go back to a monarchy even then the people who came over originally were immigrants, and it were immigrants who gave us our independence (not initially) but white  Europeans did defeat the British.

And what kind of religious laws would this native set up if we were to give him what he wanted?
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Colanth

Quote from: "Brian37"Exactly who is he arguing with because even if he wants to go back to a monarchy even then the people who came over originally were immigrants, and it were immigrants who gave us our independence (not initially) but white  Europeans did defeat the British.
I think he wants to go back further - to when the white men came here against the wishes of his ancestors.  But he has to realize that those ancestors were also immigrants.  There are no native humans in the Americas.

QuoteAnd what kind of religious laws would this native set up if we were to give him what he wanted?
There were many back before Columbus.  But there were very few (if any) atheists.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Seabear

Conventional wisdom has changed over the years. Imperialism used to be the accepted norm.

What happened to Native Americans was wrong. But it's not like they were a single unified nation. There were hundreds of tribes, many at open war with one another to take by force what the other tribe had. So his argument isn't exactly apples to apples.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Fluffhead

Quote from: "Brian37"Exactly who is he arguing with because even if he wants to go back to a monarchy even then the people who came over originally were immigrants, and it were immigrants who gave us our independence (not initially) but white  Europeans did defeat the British.

And what kind of religious laws would this native set up if we were to give him what he wanted?

for starters they would not destroy nature as us whites and call it progress
their  religion is very peaceful.
[size=150]
[/size][/color]

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Fluffhead"for starters they would not destroy nature as us whites and call it progress

Nonsense. Firstly, there wasn't one religion.  Secondly, the idea that they were conservative of nature is not borne out by the facts.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Hydra009

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Fluffhead"for starters they would not destroy nature as us whites and call it progress

Nonsense. Firstly, there wasn't one religion.  Secondly, the idea that they were conservative of nature is not borne out by the facts.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.   =D>

To add to the point:

It's a pretty huge myth that Native Americans lived in harmony with nature.  Like all peoples, they made as much use of the land and its resources as they could, and caused quite a few extinctions in their heyday.  Hell, horses went extinct in the Americas.  Horses.  Among others.

Fluffhead

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.   =D>

To add to the point:

It's a pretty huge myth that Native Americans lived in harmony with nature.  Like all peoples, they made as much use of the land and its resources as they could, and caused quite a few extinctions in their heyday.  Hell, horses went extinct in the Americas.  Horses.  Among others.
but still they made less damage than us
[size=150]
[/size][/color]

Plu

Quotebut still they made less damage than us

That's because there weren't as many of them and they lacked the technology we had.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Plu"

That's because there weren't as many of them and they lacked the technology we had.
Another bingo!  This is fun.   :-D

Fluffhead

so what did technology did for us,yes it made some jobs  more easy,but it still did lots on harm on the environment and it also helped killed many people (wars).

lets see how long we can keep this going shall we
[size=150]
[/size][/color]

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Fluffhead"

so what did technology did for us,yes it made some jobs  more easy,but it still did lots on harm on the environment and it also helped killed many people (wars).

... he typed on his personal computer.   :rollin:  :rollin:
<insert witty aphorism here>

Hydra009

Quote from: "Fluffhead"so what did technology did for us,yes it made some jobs  more easy,but it still did lots on harm on the environment and it also helped killed many people (wars).

I think the better question is what hasn't technology done for us.  Cause there's a lot.  And one of those things is green technology.   :-D

And humans are plenty murderous with or without technology.  Arguably more so in the past than the present.

So yeah, all this Noble Savage stuff isn't really holding up.

NitzWalsh

I can see the Native guys point, his ancestors were on this continent a long time before us European folk showed up. I can also the the illegal immigration protesters points. There are laws in existence now that give instructions on immigration. If the Natives here were at a level capable of enforcing those kinds of laws back in the day it wouldn't be so white in North America today.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke