News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Quasars: why you exist

Started by josephpalazzo, January 28, 2016, 09:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

You are made of star dust, and quasars play a major role in the formation of stars...

QuoteWhen quasars turn on, they produce jets and outflows of ionized material that sweep away much of the gas in their galaxies. This gas is the raw material that forms stars.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160125-the-ancient-black-holes-that-can-outshine-entire-galaxies

AllPurposeAtheist

And all this time I was thinking it was because my mom and dad were horny that fateful November night in 1958..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

The explanation for all of this with the greatest economy:  "God did it!"

Did you ever notice that information reduced to a sound bite is more often believed to be true than one that requires a book?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SGOS on January 28, 2016, 12:00:15 PM
The explanation for all of this with the greatest economy:  "God did it!"

Did you ever notice that information reduced to a sound bite is more often believed to be true than one that requires a book?

Yep, it often goes by "the dumbing down of the culture".

AllPurposeAtheist

Wait,  we all came from Quasar from the Motorola company? Who knew?  Of course many of you are probably too young to remember the jingle they used to use in their advertising.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 28, 2016, 03:04:22 PM
Wait,  we all came from Quasar from the Motorola company? Who knew?  Of course many of you are probably too young to remember the jingle they used to use in their advertising.

For those who are too young, this was the first solid state TV ... "works in a drawer" I think was one of their jingles.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

All the way from ... quasars .... to "greatest economy" 'cause 'Merica?  Oh, not that economy.  No the greatest economy, is to throw Ockham's Razor out ... gotta be dull by now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on January 28, 2016, 06:44:55 PM
All the way from ... quasars .... to "greatest economy" 'cause 'Merica?  Oh, not that economy.  No the greatest economy, is to throw Ockham's Razor out ... gotta be dull by now.

A scientific treatise should rely heavily on sound bites, jingles, and clever rhymes, which will tend to ward off annoying challenges later on from peers and critics.  When building on the work of others, it lends credibility if you include interesting personal facts about them, like: "He once built a bicycle with parts rummaged from dumpsters," or "He frequently lifts 100 lbs clear over his head,"  or "He used to work in a circus."

Baruch

I was making a complicated joke about my own thought process.  Self referent code is the very basis of computer science.  When I first read ... what triggered my thought, I read it completely wrong.  My response is a stream of consciousness of my going from A to oops to B.  Worked for James Joyce.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SGOS on January 28, 2016, 09:50:12 PM
A scientific treatise should rely heavily on sound bites, jingles, and clever rhymes, which will tend to ward off annoying challenges later on from peers and critics.  When building on the work of others, it lends credibility if you include interesting personal facts about them, like: "He once built a bicycle with parts rummaged from dumpsters," or "He frequently lifts 100 lbs clear over his head,"  or "He used to work in a circus."

It looks like you were sucked in by our resident court jester. So far, Baruch falls into one of these categories:

1) He is afflicted with some kind of mental disease.
2) He missed his career as a stand-up comedian, and we are the scapegoats of his ill-attempted humor.
3) He's a twit who thinks that by stringing a bunch of unrelated ideas will make him look smart.

There are shades of 1 and 2, but it's mostly number 3. (hint: read his reply at 9)

SGOS

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SGOS on January 29, 2016, 08:13:14 AM
I am guilty as charged.

Go to JAIL, do not pass by GO, do not collect one zillion dollars.

SGOS

Oh, shit.  I was counting on that zillion.