News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ugliest building ever

Started by St Giordano Bruno, February 16, 2013, 09:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Giordano Bruno

This would be the head of my list, taking ugliness to new heights. Looks like it was designed by a committee of Islamic muftis than a decent architect. A gigantic Big Ben on steriods that has been hit by an ugly stick and nothing goes together at all. It has been all topped off by that ugly "cherry on top" crescent moon on top which looks more like gigantic earwig pincers IMO. The big one sure looks like the ass end of a giant earwig stood up on its end.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Horsefly

Hah Saudi ugliness has got nothing on Australian ugliness.

Our buildings look like some kind of alien robot got drunk and then threw up in various places around the city.

St Giordano Bruno

This one in London tops those, looks like a twisted tower of scrap metal, but I still don't think even that tops that ugly monstrosity at Mecca
At least the London Orbit and those in Melbourne are not 600 meters tall.

I just had to include a picture of it. You have to admit that is one butt ugly building.
Designing a ugly building can only go so far and you are left with only way to make it any uglier is to make it bigger.
I am happy athiests are not compelled to go on that Haj at least and only Muslims have to suffer it.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Plu

Doesn't look that ugly to me, really. It's just a traditional sky-scraper-ish building with a huge clock and religious symbol at the top. They look like they're impersonating a church, but they certainly haven't made something "butt-ugly" out of it.

Nonsensei

Looks like shit, from its shameful development history right down to its blast proof cock ring.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

WitchSabrina

I happen to think Touchdown Jesus is the ugliest thing ever constructed by mankind:

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Hydra009"

And all its blocky, unadorned ilk.

I think (unless I'm mistaken) that Brutalist architecture was chosen on purpose for the J Edgar Hoover Bldg.  No?  I remember reading something about this oh so long ago.

but yes........mores the point........it's ugly.
*cringe*

Hydra009

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I think (unless I'm mistaken) that Brutalist architecture was chosen on purpose for the J Edgar Hoover Bldg.
Yes.  And probably by a blind person.

Quoth wikipedia:  
QuoteCritical reaction to the J. Edgar Hoover Building ranged from strong praise to strong disapproval when it opened. More recently, it has been widely condemned on aesthetic and urban planning grounds.

As of 2012, the J. Edgar Hoover Building is nearing the end of its useful lifespan. It is suffering from deterioration due to deferred maintenance and mediocre design. The FBI, General Services Administration, and General Accountability Office agree that the building is no longer appropriate for the FBI, but the cost of building a new headquarters has led to inaction for several years.
Good.  Get the wrecking ball pronto!

the_antithesis

Aroura33

Quote from: "St Giordano Bruno"

This one in London tops those, looks like a twisted tower of scrap metal, but I still don't think even that tops that ugly monstrosity at Mecca
At least the London Orbit and those in Melbourne are not 600 meters tall.
Art and personal taste are so subjective, lol.  I think this building is actually quite beautiful.  It is interesting, colorful, textural, looks like a roller coaster re-made into a building.

Now ugly buildings to me are like this

And these sorts of ugly buildings are everywhere.  Practical interiors are fine, but the exteriors are just eyesores all over the place.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"I agree with that...this one beats everything on this page. Seriously what is that. Who made this? Why didn't anyone stop them?

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Kings_(statue)

BlackL1ght

Quotebefore it was destroyed by a fire caused by a lightning strike in June 2010.

So bad that gawd hated it apparently :mrgreen:
Vi veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Thumpalumpacus

The CalTrans HQ in Los Angeles, for my money:

<insert witty aphorism here>

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "St Giordano Bruno"This would be the head of my list, taking ugliness to new heights. Looks like it was designed by a committee of Islamic muftis than a decent architect. A gigantic Big Ben on steriods that has been hit by an ugly stick and nothing goes together at all. It has been all topped off by that ugly "cherry on top" crescent moon on top which looks more like gigantic earwig pincers IMO. The big one sure looks like the ass end of a giant earwig stood up on its end.

My exact thought when I saw the Image.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!