In Terms Of The Evolutionary Process, Religion Is A Waste Of Resources

Started by stromboli, January 25, 2016, 10:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.newstalk.com/In-terms-of-the-evolutionary-process-religion-is-such-a-waste-of-resources--Nick-Harding

QuoteAtheism has existed for millennia. In ancient India and Greece schools of thought existed that questioned and denied the existence of any divine force. For most of history though these groups have been a small minority. Today the rapid progress in technology and the sciences seems to be fuelling an explosion in atheism. This begs the question, are we losing our religion?

Throughout human history churches have acted as the moral arbiters in societies. It was God or the gods who usually dictated right from wrong and set the standard by which mankind was to follow. The rise of secularism saw the state and law take over this moralising role, albeit largely informed by the religion of the land.

While the passage of time saw secularism grow across most of the globe atheism remained a mistrusted minority. For many people morality and religion were still intertwined, making atheism synonymous with immorality. Numerous religious scandals and the growing public profile of atheism, thanks to figures like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, have undermined this association.

Increased discoveries in the sciences have also bolstered atheism’s position. As our understanding of how the universe works grows the space for belief seems to shrink.

Though faith or belief in some divine or metaphysical power is still the prevalent stance in most of the world, atheism is a growing school of thought.

In his latest book, How to Be a Good Atheist, British author, screenwriter, and poet Nick Harding offers arguments in favour of atheism and a roadmap to understanding the various histories and philosophies of disbelief.

Talking with Susan Cahill, presenter of Talking Books, Nick argues that, far from a revealed truth, “the nature of god and religion is imposed on a child at birth”. Our level of belief and how that manifests is going to be dictated, in large part, by our parentage and place of birth.

In this way the atheist is, usually, someone who has actively rejected the beliefs they have inherited. As Nick explains: “imagine that the brain is a computer and that religion is a virus”, atheism is the wiping of that virus.

That isn’t to say that there isn’t, or hasn’t, been a place for religion. It may well have helped to form the rules and boundaries that allowed societies to prosper. In a world without answers it addressed some of the most important questions. As Nick put it: “I think that religion actually is an evolutionary part of our expanding consciousness”.

But is there still space for religion and belief today? Or is Nick right when he says that “in terms of the evolutionary process religion is such a waste of resources”?

Religion may have served a purpose at some point, but since secular law has supplanted religion in much of the world, it seems pointless to me now. The theists have claimed that the concept of morality and law comes from religion; other evidence suggests morality is a part of the evolutionary process.

But it is a waste of resources. Just in terms of money spent on charities or to aid in human suffering, a huge amount is being spent more to promote religion or provide for wealthy people that don't need it. If all the money tunneled into religion went into funds that more directly aided the people who needed it, a huge number of problems could be solved.

I can see points to debate in this so have at it. In any case I think the article is correct in its assumption.

Hydra009

Baruch

I reject secular and religious law.  Authoritarianism is wrong.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

pr126

Baruch

PR126 - rage on ;-)

Mr Professor from Gilligan's Island - snicker!

facebook164 ... I am not an anarchist, I have no discord between my lawless state and a lawless State.  Usually religious Jewish folks, like religious Muslims, are legalistic.  But as a religious freethinker ... I am strictly in favor of non-conformism.  Like that mock-religion, Discordianism, the worship of Eris.  Not to highlight my Ex ... drumroll.

Excuse me, I need to go generate a few more pseudo-random numbers to keep the Universe going ... it is what it runs on, not oil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discordianism ... that and I support the Dionysiac cult of Nietzsche.  Facial hair of the world, unite!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

With each post, Baruch proves to be more of a buffoon that I had initially thought. In retrospect, my designation of a "court jester" was a compliment.

SGOS

QuoteIncreased discoveries in the sciences have also bolstered atheism’s position. As our understanding of how the universe works grows the space for belief seems to shrink.

For me, religion became a myth, when I learned about evolution.  While that doesn't destroy the concept of a supreme being, it sure undercuts Christianity and Islam.  You can apologize for the Bible all week long, but the bottom line is that God's Word, is simply wrong.  I suppose you can say, "Yeah, but the commandments all come from God, and that's a good thing," but the first words out of God's book, simply get things wrong, and if it's wrong about only one thing, it's fallible, and then Christian infallibility is wrong.

At this point, fundamentalism is nakedly exposed, but what of the more liberal and progressive theists?  For me, as soon as the Bible was discredited, it strongly hinted that the whole thing might be wrong, and when I started thinking about things like truth, and God's truth, and my local minister's truth, I was beginning on a journey to recovery.

So talk about recent discoveries in science?  Jesus Christ, how much discovery do you need?   If you go back in time to that priest who discovered the Earth was not the center of things, we all should have started doing some serious thinking back then.  The tenacity of religious belief boggles the mind.

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 26, 2016, 08:45:37 AM
With each post, Baruch proves to be more of a buffoon that I had initially thought. In retrospect, my designation of a "court jester" was a compliment.

Tio esta' es loco, ese.  :biggrin:  Baruch can post what he wants. I don't care.

What has religion actually provided? You can make the claim that in ancient days it served to regulate a society in some form, but in the here and now I don't think religion serves any valid purpose. Religions serve only to support themselves and any outside charitable giving is now handled as well or better by secular organizations.

Baruch

Que toma uno para conocer uno. :tongue:

I wanted a piñata smiley ... De ninguna manera
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Religion certainly is a waste of brain-power resources.

Just think how far ahead we'd be if all those kids could learn real stuff instead of imaginary gobbledygook.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

I wish it were true, that we can get ahead (of our present situation in particular) ... but I don't see entropy supporting our hopes.  Our descendants will probably recite brilliant oral poetry in hovels.  What goes around, comes around.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jannabear

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 26, 2016, 08:45:37 AM
Could you tell him how he is?
I don't like assholes who just kind've go around calling people wrong without making an argument, makes you look like a fucking cunt.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Jannabear on January 30, 2016, 07:19:56 AM
Could you tell him how he is?

I've already mentioned that in another thread, which I will gladly repeat.

So far, Baruch falls into one of these categories:

1) He is afflicted with some kind of mental disease.
2) He missed his career as a stand-up comedian, and we are the scapegoats of his ill-attempted humor.
3) He's a twit who thinks that by stringing a bunch of unrelated ideas will make him look smart.

There are shades of 1 and 2, but it's mostly number 3.

QuoteI don't like assholes who just kind've go around calling people wrong without making an argument, makes you look like a fucking cunt.

You haven't been around long enough. Stick around and learn.