We could have nine planets after all

Started by PopeyesPappy, January 20, 2016, 04:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Thank you, but to me it is still plan 9+1 from outer space.

PopeyesPappy

Or a rogue planet in the Rukbat system. In which case we should be worried about organic matter eating mycorrhizoid spore raining down on us when planet X nears its perihelion sometime in the next several thousand years.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

josephpalazzo

If they confirm, just the fact that it's not in the bible, it will make those from the religious right cringe all over, and just that alone, is worth the price...

stromboli

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 21, 2016, 10:46:15 AM
Or a rogue planet in the Rukbat system. In which case we should be worried about organic matter eating mycorrhizoid spore raining down on us when planet X nears its perihelion sometime in the next several thousand years.

Yes in the next several thousand years after my 14th reincarnation I will sweat that.

QuoteIf they confirm, just the fact that it's not in the bible, it will make those from the religious right cringe all over, and just that alone, is worth the price...

Possibly, but when it comes to blatantly ignoring the facts, they are the masters.

Unbeliever

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 21, 2016, 10:47:08 AM
If they confirm, just the fact that it's not in the bible, it will make those from the religious right cringe all over, and just that alone, is worth the price...

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: stromboli on January 21, 2016, 10:56:08 AM
Yes in the next several thousand years after my 14th reincarnation I will sweat that.

It's not something for you to personally worry about, but you decedents probably should if they haven't genetically engineered telepathic fire breathing dragons they can ride into the sky to fight the evil threads before they hit the ground by then.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 21, 2016, 04:55:40 PM
It's not something for you to personally worry about, but you decedents probably should if they haven't genetically engineered telepathic fire breathing dragons they can ride into the sky to fight the evil threads before they hit the ground by then.

I expect by then this planet will be a sea of toxic waste or worse.

Unbeliever

Probably frozen solid. It may eventually be handy for whatever material it's composed of. It'll be a very long time before that can happen, though.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 21, 2016, 10:47:08 AM

They cringed after the moons of Jupiter were discovered, but eventually got over it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Found that on the net - did not do the calculations - about this planet if Voyager1 would reach it;

"...the media says this planet orbits at 20x the distance to Uranus. Uranus has a 20 AU orbital radius, so that puts the planet at a 400 AU distance. Voyager 1 is currently at a distance of about 135 AU out, and traveling at about 17 km/s. To travel another 265 AU at this rate, it will arrive at the planet's predicted orbital radius in 74 years."

Huh, in 74 years, I'll be dead by then...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 22, 2016, 11:34:20 AM
Found that on the net - did not do the calculations - about this planet if Voyager1 would reach it;

"...the media says this planet orbits at 20x the distance to Uranus. Uranus has a 20 AU orbital radius, so that puts the planet at a 400 AU distance. Voyager 1 is currently at a distance of about 135 AU out, and traveling at about 17 km/s. To travel another 265 AU at this rate, it will arrive at the planet's predicted orbital radius in 74 years."

Huh, in 74 years, I'll be dead by then...
But I'll still be thinking of you.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 22, 2016, 11:34:20 AM
To travel another 265 AU at this rate, it will arrive at the planet's predicted orbital radius in 74 years."

Chances are the planet will be at the other side of it's orbit.  Thankfully, Voyager is not likely to crash on it.  So, we're good.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on January 22, 2016, 12:15:15 PM
Chances are the planet will be at the other side of it's orbit.  Thankfully, Voyager is not likely to crash on it.  So, we're good.
But there's more than one object out there, and I doubt we'll find all the big ones any time soon. If V'ger suddenly goes silent we would have one place to look.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 22, 2016, 12:22:29 PM
But there's more than one object out there, and I doubt we'll find all the big ones any time soon. If V'ger suddenly goes silent we would have one place to look.

The giant robot ship that wanted to digitize all the carbon life forms ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 22, 2016, 12:43:39 PM
The giant robot ship that wanted to digitize all the carbon life forms ;-(
"It's over 20 AUs across!"

And then it goes into orbit around Earth.
PZ Myers