1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Survey Says

Started by drunkenshoe, January 19, 2016, 03:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 19, 2016, 04:03:44 PM
I suggest Fields of the Woods bible park near Murphy, North Carolina.

I go tubing near Murphy. Do people go tubing (riding down a river in an inflatable tube) in Turkey?

I don't know how the atheist shirt would go over. I noticed a guy at my gym who had a shirt "Man created God in his own image." I think that is the only atheist shirt I have seen someone wearing in Greensboro.

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

It depends on the area.  The cities are generally more accepting of atheists, while rural areas can be pretty touchy about religion.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 19, 2016, 04:38:06 PM
I go tubing near Murphy. Do people go tubing (riding down a river in an inflatable tube) in Turkey?

You mean rafting? I don't get the significance of it. Yes, they do. I didn't know it was called 'tubing.'

QuoteI noticed a guy at my gym who had a shirt "Man created God in his own image." I think that is the only atheist shirt I have seen someone wearing in Greensboro.

:lol:

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

drunkenshoe

Ah, OK. Thanks. I still don't get why is it important though,lol. 

Something like this?

https://youtu.be/F5MMBP1rPVs
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GSOgymrat

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 19, 2016, 04:45:10 PM
Hiwassee?

Yes, my grandmother was actually a teacher for many years at Hiwassee College in Madisonville. I usually go tubing near Nantahala & Bryson City.

Just curious if tubing is something people did in Turkey, no real significance. When Murphy, NC was mentioned I thought of tubing.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 19, 2016, 05:05:16 PM
Yes, my grandmother was actually a teacher for many years at Hiwassee College in Madisonville.

Mom attended Hiwassee in the late 50's. Three of her sisters were there in the 60's. They grew up on Towee Creek which empties into the Hiwassee river. Her mother was born in the Hanging Dog area near Murphy.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 19, 2016, 05:05:16 PM
Just curious if tubing is something people did in Turkey, no real significance. When Murphy, NC was mentioned I thought of tubing.

Oh, OK. Lol, I thought there was something related.

People do everything of that sort that is possible to do here. Nowhere near the scale of west of course.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 19, 2016, 05:04:00 PM
I still don't get why is it important though,lol.

It's not. It's just where the conversation went. The place I suggested is area popular for tubing and rafting, and GSOgymrat is familiar with it.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 19, 2016, 05:11:45 PM
Mom attended Hiwassee in the late 50's. Three of her sisters were there in the 60's. They grew up on Towee Creek which empties into the Hiwassee river. Her mother was born in the Hanging Dog area near Murphy.

My grandmother could have been one of their teachers! Very cool. I was born in Morristown, TN BTW.

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on January 19, 2016, 03:31:48 PM
Bear in mind that America is a very big country with an ocean to the east and west and a whole lot of real estate in between. The population, divided among 50 states, is quite diverse.

Yep, we're a genuine melting pot of diversity.  We got hillbillies, rednecks, people who attend the symphony, wackos, inbreeds, Republicans and Democrats.  We got it all.   :biggrin:

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Actually you are all wrong (as was Copernicus) ... the Sun and Earth (and other planets) go around the common focus of the ellipse they are both on (approximately).    This is near but not at the center of the Sun ... the planets make the Sun wobble, this is how we are detecting extra-solar planets.  Of course an ellipse has two foci, but it is one nearest the Sun's center that counts, not the one out toward the planet.  All orbits are about a common center of attraction, including for the Earth/Moon system.  Occultation of a an extra-solar planet in front of it's star ... is how we assess the atmosphere of that planet.  There is no true center of the Solar system, or of any other system, including galaxies or the universe.  In the case of the universe, every point in space can equally claim to be the center.  Physics and astronomy progressed, as people learned that there were no special places, special times or special directions in the universe.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Baruch on January 19, 2016, 08:14:09 PM
Actually you are all wrong (as was Copernicus) ... the Sun and Earth (and other planets) go around the common focus of the ellipse they are both on (approximately).    This is near but not at the center of the Sun ... the planets make the Sun wobble, this is how we are detecting extra-solar planets.  Of course an ellipse has two foci, but it is one nearest the Sun's center that counts, not the one out toward the planet.  All orbits are about a common center of attraction, including for the Earth/Moon system.  Occultation of a an extra-solar planet in front of it's star ... is how we assess the atmosphere of that planet.  There is no true center of the Solar system, or of any other system, including galaxies or the universe.  In the case of the universe, every point in space can equally claim to be the center.  Physics and astronomy progressed, as people learned that there were no special places, special times or special directions in the universe.
Oh yeah? Well I AM a special snowflake! and the center of the universe..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.