Serious Question For Theists re: Theistic Literature

Started by Tull, March 20, 2013, 03:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tull

If the bible or quran or whatever is the perfect book, the book that contains all necessary knowledge, or true wisdom, and is the only book that does so, what on earth are all those other hundreds of books in the Christian bookshop doing?

Fairly early on in any debate with a theist, after they throw out the "if you read the bible" routine when it becomes clear that I do know my bible, I am referred to read any other number of books which will explain and clarify the bible to me. But hang on a moment. By doing this, they are quite emphatically stating that this book, whatever it is, is superior to the bible, that it better encapsulates god's message than the bible does, which I'm pretty sure they're "not allowed" to say. Responses to this point range from panic to "Well, maybe the approach of the bible is too old-fashioned or alien for you living in 2013 with the background you have, so this book updates it for you." But hang on, again, the bible is supposed to endure all times and all situations, so unless it's been terribly translated, (again, not something they will want to consider as it's unlikely that the random theist you are debating has studied ancient Hebrew and Greek) I still shouldn't need supplementary texts.

I have never heard a remotely satisfactory response to this problem. Short version:

If the bible is perfect and flawless, and contains a clear, universal message, it would by definition not require a single other book dedicated to explaining and refining it, let alone an entire industry. What is going on here?

NitzWalsh

As an ex-Mormon, I can say that they are more open to the bible being flawed than other Christian groups, but they still put up a stink if you mock it and question it.

Most religions though share this belief that you can't learn it on your own, you have to have help. Jehovah's Witnesses are a particularly decent example of this, they say that it is impossible to get a full understanding of the scriptures without their books and magazines to guide your study. They have even gone so far as saying that reading the bible alone may lead people away from their organization.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Tull

I can't understand how that position is consistent with being a theist.

"The bible is the most pure expression there is of god's will."

"The bible makes people misunderstand god."

Cognitive dissonance.

I can't see too many people saying "My book does a better job than god did", but that seems to be implied.

stromboli

For the same reason there isn't one romance novel. Think about it.

GurrenLagann

1) The Bible is the perfect representation of the actions and intentions of God.

2) God is omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient.

2.1) Therefore there is nothing God cannot do, so long as it isn't paradoxical.

3) God wants his creations to understand his Word - as per the Bible - so as to spend eternity in heaven.

3.1) Therefore his sentient creations must understand his word, since it is within God's power to actualize that possibility and he intends for us to understand it.

4) There are numerous, mutually exclusive interpretations on the meaning of practically any semi-important Biblical statement, and thus splintered denominations.

4.1) Therefore, there is no agreement among God's creations on what God is supposed to have meant on much of Scripture.

5) Thus, it follows from #4 and #4.1  - given #1 thru #3 -
that #1, #2, and/or #3 necessarily cannot be true.

Lulz, I can't believe I wasted time doing that. xD
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Davka

If'n you beleeeevded, you wouldn't be wasting gawd's precious time with these stoopid kweschunz!

There's actually a very common circular argument that says you cannot understand the Bible without the Holy Spirit, and you cannot have the Holy Spirit if you don't accept the Bible.

Colanth

Which means that you have to accept the Bible without understanding it.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

stromboli

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"1) The Bible is the perfect representation of the actions and intentions of God.

2) God is omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient.

2.1) Therefore there is nothing God cannot do, so long as it isn't paradoxical.

3) God wants his creations to understand his Word - as per the Bible - so as to spend eternity in heaven.

3.1) Therefore his sentient creations must understand his word, since it is within God's power to actualize that possibility and he intends for us to understand it.

4) There are numerous, mutually exclusive interpretations on the meaning of practically any semi-important Biblical statement, and thus splintered denominations.

4.1) Therefore, there is no agreement among God's creations on what God is supposed to have meant on much of Scripture.

5) Thus, it follows from #4 and #4.1  - given #1 thru #3 -
that #1, #2, and/or #3 necessarily cannot be true.

Lulz, I can't believe I wasted time doing that. xD

Me neither.  :(

ApostateLois

Many of those books in the Christian book stores say contradictory things about the Bible, so reading them can't be of much help. Also, if the Bible really were God's word, then sermons wouldn't be necessary to explain it to us. We would only have to read the Bible to know exactly who God is and what he wants from us. But of course, that would mean there would be no need for churches, collection plates, preachers, and all the rest of it, and that would mean no money in the religious leaders' pockets.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

NitzWalsh

The bible says contradictory things about the bible.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

ApostateLois

No, no, the Bible only SEEMS contradictory because you don't understand it correctly! I wrote a book about it, called, "What the Bible Really REALLY Means, This Time For Sure," and for only $59.95 + $12.95 shipping and handling, I'll send it to you. I know that seems pretty expensive for a book, but half the money goes to...uh....my missionary work. Yeah.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"