#1 Reason Religion Is Harmful (Greta Christina)

Started by stromboli, January 18, 2016, 02:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: facebook164 on January 20, 2016, 01:23:45 AM
You have obviously a sweet spot for religion.

The problem is that religion has taken the space for thinking about what it is to be human. Priest has stolen an important role of being supportive in moments of hardship.

There is no reason for why this part of priesthood, supportive human being, should have any religious ties. History makes it "natural" to go to church when catastrophies happen. I think this has to change. We are part of society, and that society should free itself from gods.

Not a sweet spot for clergy ... though my ex-wife was clergy.  Social aid can come from secular sources ... though I don't think capitalism is a good source.  And religion isn't the only way to socialize the otherwise wild people.  Idolatry is very hard for people to avoid ... since it can be either religious or non-religious.  As for me, I will never have enough time to do all the study and thinking I want to do, I spend time on many subjects.  For an adult that is a matter of personal choice.  Raising children that fit in their society, is more difficult.  But for adults, personal freedom should be the rule.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I think Voltaire summed up the harm of religion when he pointed out that if you can persuade people to believe absurdities you can also convince them to commit atrocities.

The history of religion shows just how well this works for those who lust for power.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 19, 2016, 11:11:42 AM
Yep.  Essentially, it's the only con artist scheme in town with tax breaks and political influence.  And criticism is either taboo or illegal.

Yeah, those "tax breaks" amount to a government subsidy of religion, that all the tax payers have to pony up.

You give religions more than $82.5 billion a year

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

More directly in GB and Germany.

Ultimately no organization, for-profit or non-profit pays any taxes, they are passed on to employees and customers.  And the rich have Swiss bank accounts.  So who is ponying up?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: facebook164 on January 20, 2016, 01:23:45 AM
The problem is that religion has taken the space for thinking about what it is to be human.
Religion replaces genuine concern. We should all be concerned that this life is all we'll ever have. That should bring most of us closer together and accelerate our social evolution. The clergy, however, may have to resort to common thievery. There's just no changing some people.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2016, 05:03:52 PM
I just don't care to go around telling folks what a genius I am
At least you have an idea of what kind of brain you're wasting.