News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

That "alien magastructure" again

Started by josephpalazzo, January 17, 2016, 05:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Well I for one, contend they are incredibly hot humanoid females who get all horny at the site of slightly older middle aged human males….

wat? I get to dream too!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

josephpalazzo

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on January 17, 2016, 10:37:45 AM
Any theories of alien existence or potential motives to harm/enslave/otherwise do something negative- based on preconceived HUMAN ideas is premature and we cannot as yet read alien minds or project their potential future needs or desires.

We can only observe and surmise. And making the assumption that any alien race would want to cover the vast distance between-which from our present ability would require energies we are unable to apply- to enslave or meet us is also premature.

Klaatu Barada Niktu, ese. We don't know yet.

Sure, but we have the most precious commodity in the entire universe... water, oceans of water. So beware...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on January 17, 2016, 10:45:38 AM
Well I for one, contend they are incredibly hot humanoid females who get all horny at the site of slightly older middle aged human males….

wat? I get to dream too!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

I've considered a few scenarios of alien confrontation. I am  currently reading the Expanse series of sci-fi books which includes alien encounter as a central theme, although a different version of it. Personally I don't see any way to stop a superior race with overwhelming abilities based on technology far beyond ours to overwhelm, conquer and destroy or enslave us.

What people don't think about is that in the case of the U.S., slavery was actually on its way out- thanks to mechanization, picking cotton and tobacco became easier and cheaper than to use slaves. I don't see any reason why they would do so. Short of having the ability to see us as a potential threat in some distant future, why would they want to enslave or destroy us? Might as well enslave colonies of monkeys to perform manual labor, when building a simple machine would do a better job.

And there is nothing on this planet resource wise that can't be found or created from sources closer to their planet. We are on the verge of creating artificial substitutes for meat and vegetables, surely any advanced race would have the same capabilities.

Gawdzilla Sama

It's the Matrix Paradox. Why did the machines chose humans, who needed high maintenance and could rebel, over cows?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 17, 2016, 11:23:55 AM
It's the Matrix Paradox. Why did the machines chose humans, who needed high maintenance and could rebel, over cows?

Exactly.

TomFoolery

Quote from: stromboli on January 17, 2016, 11:14:45 AM
What people don't think about is that in the case of the U.S., slavery was actually on its way out- thanks to mechanization, picking cotton and tobacco became easier and cheaper than to use slaves. I don't see any reason why they would do so. Short of having the ability to see us as a potential threat in some distant future, why would they want to enslave or destroy us? Might as well enslave colonies of monkeys to perform manual labor, when building a simple machine would do a better job.

True, a civilization that possessed the technology to reach our planet probably would have little use for manual labor but Earth has considerable resources that other planets may find attractive. Assuming they're not viewing humans as resources (like in War of the Worlds where they needed human blood to enrich the soil or some weird stuff), it could still be devastating if they wanted to take water, food, metals, lumber, etc. There's enough bullshit that goes on in doling out natural resources without someone else showing up asking for more, unless of course all they really want is radioactive waste, the garbage out of landfills, or Canadian pop idols.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli on January 17, 2016, 11:14:45 AM
I've considered a few scenarios of alien confrontation. I am  currently reading the Expanse series of sci-fi books which includes alien encounter as a central theme, although a different version of it. Personally I don't see any way to stop a superior race with overwhelming abilities based on technology far beyond ours to overwhelm, conquer and destroy or enslave us.

And there is nothing on this planet resource wise that can't be found or created from sources closer to their planet. We are on the verge of creating artificial substitutes for meat and vegetables, surely any advanced race would have the same capabilities.

Slavery isn't on the way out.  We only moved on from chattel slavery to wage slavery ... and now on to debt slavery.  You might not pick cotton, but if you live in the US, you are a slave.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Shiranu on January 17, 2016, 06:50:56 AM
Meh, never know when they will want slave labour... or exotic game to hunt and eat, maybe put our heads or penises on a plaque above the holographic fireplace.
Slave labor? Highly doubtful. A civilization advanced enough to conquer a star would likely have general purpose automatons. With those there is literally no purpose to slave labor.

Exotic game? More possible, but still doubtful. We'd be comparable game to ants the next country over. If there is advanced intelligent life in the universe, we'd probably be about as significant as a pubic hair on the subway tracks.

The only reason I could see for them even visiting our dinky little planet would be for scientific curiosity. If that were the case they would most likely send robots rather than bothering to spend the man power actually taking the trip. If those robots arrived I don't think we'd even notice. They'd be as stealthy as possible; you don't want to ruin the study by interfering. They'd clandestinely observe and take samples.

The mostly likely case, in my opinion, is that they noticed us, noted the existence of life, and moved on. We're at the bottom of a giant stack of projects. Maybe someday a junior researcher will take up the project for some extra credit or whatever, but until then our file is gathering dust in some forgotten storage device.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: TomFoolery on January 17, 2016, 12:06:23 PM
True, a civilization that possessed the technology to reach our planet probably would have little use for manual labor but Earth has considerable resources that other planets may find attractive. Assuming they're not viewing humans as resources (like in War of the Worlds where they needed human blood to enrich the soil or some weird stuff), it could still be devastating if they wanted to take water, food, metals, lumber, etc. There's enough bullshit that goes on in doling out natural resources without someone else showing up asking for more, unless of course all they really want is radioactive waste, the garbage out of landfills, or Canadian pop idols.
Any resources we have are found in abundance in the universe.

Sent from Hell

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

aitm