News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

That "alien magastructure" again

Started by josephpalazzo, January 17, 2016, 05:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on January 17, 2016, 07:28:46 PM

The other side of that is that it would take us millennia if not longer, barring some really amazing technological or scientific breakthrough, to ever reach the alien star in question. So a race of aliens 2 billion years ago shoots a bowling ball to destroy an infantile race that would not encounter the aliens for millennia?

Or maybe the Aliens got bored and were in great need of some distraction...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 18, 2016, 08:40:25 AM
Or maybe the Aliens got bored and were in great need of some distraction...
Always something to do with one's time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Idle minds are the devil's workshop......

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 18, 2016, 10:00:58 AM
Those fucking magnets... how do they work?!?

Mostly electron magnetic moment line-up ... but nobody knows what an electron is ... except some say it is a naked ring singularity ... but the ring would be smaller than the Planck length, so it is hard to imagine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Not a mathematician or physicist and I understand that talking about the location of electrons (or location of anything at the quantum scale) doesn't really make sense, but the classical electron radius is about 2.8179x10^-15 meters or 174,369,604,900,800,000,000 (may be off by a few zeros one way or the other...) Planck lengths.

Planck lengths are really really fucking small.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2016, 05:43:40 PM
Mostly electron magnetic moment line-up ... but nobody knows what an electron is ... except some say it is a naked ring singularity ... but the ring would be smaller than the Plank length, so it is hard to imagine.

I'm pretty sure it was an Insane Clown Posse reference. View at about 1:54. A lot of deep questions here. Also pay attention to the following lyric which proclaims, "And I don't wanna talk to a scientist/Y'all motherfuckers lying, and getting me pissed."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 18, 2016, 08:18:31 PM
Not a mathematician or physicist and I understand that talking about the location of electrons (or location of anything at the quantum scale) doesn't really make sense, but the classical electron radius is about 2.8179x10^-15 meters or 174,369,604,900,800,000,000 (may be off by a few zeros one way or the other...) Planck lengths.

Planck lengths are really really fucking small.

And naked singularities are even smaller, but Puritans still don't like them ... they prefer singularities to be covered up ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on January 18, 2016, 10:19:53 AM
Idle minds are the devil's workshop......

Ten factoids about Einstein, one of them being that he loathed science fiction ( #8 on the list)

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/19980907140525data_trunc_sys.shtml

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pato15

We may be no threat now. But give us a couple thousand years, and we may develop enough technology to become dangerous. I could see someone wanting to take us out now, before this happens, especially given the viciousness of humankind.
To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra

josephpalazzo

Quote from: pato15 on January 20, 2016, 05:40:09 AM
We may be no threat now. But give us a couple thousand years, and we may develop enough technology to become dangerous...

It's already happening. It's called "Climate Change by human activities"...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: pato15 on January 20, 2016, 05:40:09 AM
We may be no threat now. But give us a couple thousand years, and we may develop enough technology to become dangerous. I could see someone wanting to take us out now, before this happens, especially given the viciousness of humankind.
Maybe not that long. Rescue Party, by Arthur C. Clarke.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers