Pakistan bill to ban child marriage shot down by clerics.

Started by Valigarmander, January 15, 2016, 03:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 16, 2016, 03:12:07 AM
The illusion created here is that even if it was banned, it wouldn't solve the problem.

Making laws do not do jack, if there isn't a real powerful state and institutions to enforce them. It has always been prohibited in Turkiye and there are 181. 000 marriages of the sort. 

I figure it's going to make a difference if such a law is passed, provided there are people are willing to uphold the law.

Even if it only means it is not going to be as prevalent, it's still better then nothing.

Shiranu

Quote...provided there are people are willing to uphold the law.

In Pakistan? I wouldn't hold my breath. Upholding the law is not a very good way to keep your head attached to your body.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: Shiranu on January 16, 2016, 05:55:51 PM
In Pakistan? I wouldn't hold my breath. Upholding the law is not a very good way to keep your head attached to your body.

True, I suppose the real problem is when laws aren't enough to overturn tradition. This happens often enough.

Baruch

Pakistan lawyers are influential, but mostly is electoral politics and opposing dictators ... opposing folk traditions, not so much.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.