News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Site donations

Started by PickelledEggs, January 16, 2016, 03:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Hi guys,

Some of you may have noticed, but the site went offline for a bit today.

Long story short it's because we needed to renew our web-hosting subscription. The rate for us yearly is about $150, which isn't too bad if everyone that can pitches in a tiny bit. Even $150 split 15 ways is only $10 per person, which isn't much at all.

Don't worry, the site isn't going anywhere, but we do appreciate any financial help we can get. If you can spare it, the link is up top in the main menu bar marked Donations, but here is the link as well. http://atheistforums.com/index.php?action=treasury

Thanks guys!!  :88:

stromboli

Gawdzilla Sama

The sign said you don't want my money...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

I got an email notification of a class action suit against Paypal. I thought that might have something to do with it. Apparently not.

aitm

A little annoying as just last week we were told everything was f-ing hunky dory.

On the way.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

wolf39us

Quote from: aitm on January 16, 2016, 04:35:50 PM
A little annoying as just last week we were told everything was f-ing hunky dory.

On the way.

We thought it was, but there was some confusion about the expiration of Thinkinguniverse.org.  When we initially signed up, the file server and domain were attached together... then we moved to AF.com 

We didn't catch that when the TU domain was going down, so were the files.  We were pretty sure we were good until April, apparently not.

Sorry for the confusion guys, GoDaddy didn't make it very apparent either lol...  but all is well.  We've got the File server on autopay now.

SGOS

I'm trying here, but I can't remember my PayPal password, and attempts to reset it are failing.  I'm following directions, and they send me special codes, and then tell me I'm entering the wrong code.  My bank information is from 10 years ago and is no longer valid, and I can't change it.  They are closed on weekends, so I can't call them to yell at people until Monday.

Better yet, can I use my credit card or send Wolf a check?

Thanks

PickelledEggs

Quote from: SGOS on January 16, 2016, 04:41:55 PM
I'm trying here, but I can't remember my PayPal password, and attempts to reset it are failing.  I'm following directions, and they send me special codes, and then tell me I'm entering the wrong code.  My bank information is from 10 years ago and is no longer valid, and I can't change it.  They are closed on weekends, so I can't call them to yell at people until Monday.

Better yet, can I use my credit card or send Wolf a check?

Thanks
You should be able to use a Credit card even if you don't have a paypal account. In the paypal donation link there should be an option for you to use your credit card in the paypal page that you are forwarded to

Gawdzilla Sama

I didn't log in to PayPal, just used it to make the gelt flow.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Yeah, I tried to use my credit card, but they have a card of mine on file from years ago, and it's no longer the same number.  I tried putting in a new number, and that didn't work, although I can't remember why.  Frankly, the whole process was confusing me all the way through.  I'll try again, and see if I can get it to work.  Otherwise, I'll try to straighten it out on Monday over the phone.

Deidre32

I'm glad to see this site not going anywhere. :)
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Mr.Obvious

I remember trying to donate last year, but it didn't work for some reason...
Is there any other way than paypal, 'cause I don't have that.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 16, 2016, 05:11:07 PM
I didn't log in to PayPal, just used it to make the gelt flow.

Thanks, that works.  Just avoid clicking on PayPal altogether, and go right to "Debit or Credit Card" tab.  The PayPal icon is distracting and makes it appear that it's your only option to make a donation. Once you click on PayPal, PayPal wants to step in and manage your money, taking money out of your bank, or activating your credit card as a completely unnecessary and complicated third party.   I think I used PayPal once in my life, when some eBay seller would only take money through PayPal.  It was a pain setting it up back then, with banks and credit sources I no longer use, and PayPal is not making it easy this weekend to update my information. 

I remember an explanation why eBay was some kind of added protection for buyers and sellers, but it's not worth the effort to me.  I compulsively avoid PayPal and use other sellers, except I thought the forum was PayPal only.  My brother-in-law complicates his transactions even more.  He pays money through a credit card to a third party company that creates a phantom credit card account that pays money to sellers until you use up all the money in the account, and have to send them more money via your credit card.  But after all that fiddling around, you're credit card number is still out there in cyberspace for the hackers to find.  There's just an added third party that your money has to travel through.

Solomon Zorn

Using PayPal has become as second nature to me as getting my wallet out at the supermarket. Everybody takes it these days, and I don't have to enter all that lengthy personal info. Never costs me anything as a buyer, and I get a little added purchase-protection, when I need it.

And now back to the subject.

If I can't afford to donate, can I just pray for God to bless you in unexpected ways? :angel:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home