The Attack On Science At The Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

Started by stromboli, January 15, 2016, 09:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 16, 2016, 04:14:37 PM
You solution is...

My solution? We actually uphold a reasonable law that armed insurrectionists are criminals and traitors. The U.S. Code already addresses how we treat these people and we should follow it.

Before anything else we do what Skeletal said; cut off any utilities and blockade the area. At this point they are given a choice; leave the compound and only face the criminal charges above or stay and be charged with treason and terrorism. Anyone who leaves now will be treated fairly and have a chance at a reduced sentence if they provide any information useful to bringing these people down. After this anyone attempting to aide them will be charged under U.S. Code 2383 as assisting and aiding in an armed insurrection.

QuoteWhoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Then they have a choice; once they begin to starve and decide to make their move they can either face either of the consequences of code 2381; they can retaliate and be killed or lay down their weapons and face the necessary 5 years + criminal charges against them.

QuoteWhoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Of course they also face charges of sedition...

QuoteIf two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

...but I think we should be generous and save that for the leaders and anyone who wants to stand with them instead of renouncing their allege nice to their "sovereign state".

There are several other laws... but I think this gives us a pretty clear outline on how to deal with these people. What good is a government that cannot even stand up against armed insurrection within it's own borders? These people need to be made an example of... otherwise we will just see this shit more and more often. Letting the first Bundy group getaway with what they wanted without heavy penalty already destroyed credibility of the government and lo-and-behold they think they can get away with it again.

They want to be an "armed sovereign state"... so be it. Let them face the consequences.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

stromboli

In any case as Gawdzilla has pointed out, an armed intervention would be a bad idea. I would cut power off to the station, though I understand it has a reserve generator and fuel for vehicles. If they need to use the vehicles, pick them off when they are in town for car theft, which has already happened. These people will look stupider the longer it goes.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on January 16, 2016, 08:30:48 PM
In any case as Gawdzilla has pointed out, an armed intervention would be a bad idea. I would cut power off to the station, though I understand it has a reserve generator and fuel for vehicles. If they need to use the vehicles, pick them off when they are in town for car theft, which has already happened. These people will look stupider the longer it goes.

In  Liddell Hart's outstanding book Strategy, it would be called a typical Medieval siege warfare. You think the governor and the generals at the Pentagon have read that book?

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 18, 2016, 08:57:37 AM
In  Liddell Hart's outstanding book Strategy, it would be called a typical Medieval siege warfare. You think the governor and the generals at the Pentagon have read that book?

No. And they probably haven't read Sun Tzu's "Art of War" either.

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli on January 18, 2016, 09:07:23 AM

American senior officers are bureaucrats and politicians in fancy uniforms.  How many wars has the US won since 1945?  The Cold War doesn't count ... the Polish Pope won that for the West.  Certainly no American officer knew anything about Vietnam, before we went in to civilize them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Never been to the Army War College I see.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

I can imagine they're still playing X-COM: TERROR FROM THE DEEP. But even that should feed them enough ideas to root out those ragtag hoodlums parading as a militia of some sort.

aitm

Its one thing to face a crowd of rioters with rocks and a hand gun or two and quite another to take on a militia of armed semi-trained whack-jobs.
As I wrote so eloquently many a year ago in a book that has yet to be submitted: "It's easy to squash a dare in Tienanmen Square, not so, in the land of Yosemite Sam"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on January 18, 2016, 01:05:59 PM
Its one thing to face a crowd of rioters with rocks and a hand gun or two and quite another to take on a militia of armed semi-trained whack-jobs.
As I wrote so eloquently many a year ago in a book that has yet to be submitted: "It's easy to squash a dare in Tienanmen Square, not so, in the land of Yosemite Sam"
The mob has guns, that would be the major difference. Otherwise, it's just another mob.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Turn it into a pissed off horny adult male grizzly bear breeding ground .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 18, 2016, 01:21:32 PM
The mob has guns, that would be the major difference. Otherwise, it's just another mob.

as in the minutemen.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 18, 2016, 09:27:59 AM
Never been to the Army War College I see.

Reading and understanding are not the same.  Uncle Ho won, not the US.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 18, 2016, 09:57:33 AM
I can imagine they're still playing X-COM: TERROR FROM THE DEEP. But even that should feed them enough ideas to root out those ragtag hoodlums parading as a militia of some sort.

If only our enemies were like a situation in Zelda, then our young and not so young video gamers would be able to slay that dragon ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2016, 05:15:13 PM
Reading and understanding are not the same.  Uncle Ho won, not the US.
The political will wasn't there. And anyway, you think the Army War College teaches tiddly-winks?
PZ Myers