News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Latest News on the Unruh Effect

Started by josephpalazzo, March 12, 2016, 03:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Sometimes ago ( more precisely July 07, 2013) I wrote a blog on the Unruh Effect( see here) in which I concluded:

QuoteAn accelerating detector would see particles in a thermal bath. This is the Unruh effect.

We know that the action of accelerating electrons gives off electromagnetic radiation, what we need to transmit to TV’s, satellites, phones, etc. As for the Unruh effect, a typical acceleration of 10m/s2, (earth’s acceleration due to gravity), would yield a temperature of the order, T ~ 10-20 K, or to boil water at 373K, we would need to accelerate it at a ~ 1022 m/s2, both cases being beyond our present technology.

Unruh published his findings in the 1970's, 40 years ago. The latest news is that a Chinese team has performed an experiment that confirms the Unruh effect for the first time. The experiment in question had been designed by Feynman. This is truly remarkable.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-03/scp-csr031116.php

stromboli

A. You and I both get our info from the same places.

B. knew a guy had a quantum field out behind his house. Threw his garbage there and it just vanished. then they found a dead goat and the cops showed up. Rule: never throw broken bottles in a quantum field with a goat in it.

C. Unruh? Pronounced un-roo or urnhhh? I'm confused.

D. Poking fun JP. You are a standup guy. Unless you are in a wheelchair. :biggrin:

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on March 12, 2016, 08:49:48 AM
A. You and I both get our info from the same places.

B. knew a guy had a quantum field out behind his house. Threw his garbage there and it just vanished. then they found a dead goat and the cops showed up. Rule: never throw broken bottles in a quantum field with a goat in it.

C. Unruh? Pronounced un-roo or urnhhh? I'm confused.

D. Poking fun JP. You are a standup guy. Unless you are in a wheelchair. :biggrin:

C. it's unroo.
D. Me and the guy in the wheelchair may possibly meet in the near future. But a lot of things have to happen in between...

aitm

Will this help me get laid because if it doesn't this is no help to me
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

josephpalazzo

Quote from: aitm on March 12, 2016, 02:08:27 PM
Will this help me get laid because if it doesn't this is no help to me

Well, if you accelerate fast enough, I mean really really really fast, your penis will start to bubble... don't know if that helps...

stromboli

Ah yes; the old bubbling penis ploy.

aitm

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 12, 2016, 03:59:08 PM
Well, if you accelerate fast enough, I mean really really really fast, your penis will start to bubble... don't know if that helps...
Okay…well, I'll try read hard and see what happens. If you don't hear from me tomorrow it may have worked real well….which may be a bad thing….okay then!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

josephpalazzo

Quote from: aitm on March 12, 2016, 05:55:03 PM
Okay…well, I'll try read hard and see what happens. If you don't hear from me tomorrow it may have worked real well….which may be a bad thing….okay then!

If you accelerate at the rate of g after 5 minutes, you'll reach a speed of 100 mi/hr, but the temperature of your penis will be raised by 10-20 degrees. If that gives you a hard on, please advise...

GreatLife

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 12, 2016, 06:54:55 PM
If you accelerate at the rate of g after 5 minutes, you'll reach a speed of 100 mi/hr, but the temperature of your penis will be raised by 10-20 degrees. If that gives you a hard on, please advise...

When I was 18 it would have been sufficient... now, not so much.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: GreatLife on March 12, 2016, 11:01:38 PM
When I was 18 it would have been sufficient... now, not so much.

I doubt it was the Unruh effect that gave you that tingling sensation in those days, more like the girl across just sneezing...