News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

USA Military Spending.

Started by Fluffhead, March 20, 2013, 09:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special B

It would be one thing if the 700billion actually went to military costs. The military of any empire is expensive to run.

The problem is that much of that 700billion is pure waste; profit for criminals like Dick Cheney and Halliburton. No-bid contracts and inflated costs (like Halliburton charging the U.S. gov hundreds of dollars for each can of Coca Cola, and the gov actually paying it!).

We could greatly reduce the spending while also improving the military/equipment by cutting out the corruption.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Sal1981

Quote from: "Special B"It would be one thing if the 700billion actually went to military costs. The military of any empire is expensive to run.

The problem is that much of that 700billion is pure waste; profit for criminals like Dick Cheney and Halliburton. No-bid contracts and inflated costs (like Halliburton charging the U.S. gov hundreds of dollars for each can of Coca Cola, and the gov actually paying it!).

We could greatly reduce the spending while also improving the military/equipment by cutting out the corruption.
Isn't there a break-down in any .gov site that says where the money goes to? Or is that non-disclosure?

Farroc

QuoteThe eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

Bill Hicks
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

kilodelta

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Special B

Sadly, those breakdowns do not include the actual costs versus what the tax payer pays. Those breakdowns do not explain how much would be saved by bidding for contracts rather than them being given (illegally) to the companies that own the politicians.

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Plu"Profit? I was under the impression it was costing far more than it earned.

For whom, though? Oh, it's costing the taxpayers, but the few who got into this war for money are making serious bank.

The 25 Most Vicious Iraq War Profiteers
http://www.businesspundit.com/the-25-mo ... rofiteers/

QuoteThe Iraq war is many things to different people. It is called a strategic blunder and a monstrous injustice and sometimes even a patriotic mission, much to the chagrin of rational human beings. For many big companies, however, the war is something far different: a lucrative cash-cow. The years-long, ongoing military effort has resurrected fears of the so-called "military-industrial complex." Media pundits are outraged at private companies scooping up huge, no-questions-asked contracts to manufacture weapons, rebuild infrastructure, or anything else the government deems necessary to win (or plant its flag in Iraq). No matter what your stance on the war, it pays to know where your tax dollars are being spent.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

kilodelta

Quote from: "Special B"Sadly, those breakdowns do not include the actual costs versus what the tax payer pays. Those breakdowns do not explain how much would be saved by bidding for contracts rather than them being given (illegally) to the companies that own the politicians.

Those are the actual costs. The money does get spent. The budget lines may have funds that move between them, but the final amount is always spent. As far as the contracts that I've dealt with, they're all competed. The winner is decided by a board that has a variety of members. Recent contract awards practices have been awarding to the lowest bid that will hit the minimal contract requirements. There are many Defense contract companies that are getting in fiscal trouble. They've been slashing benefits and pay. The expected pay of a contracted defense analyst has easily dropped by 20K since four years ago. The government building that I used to work at never had pasking spaces available two years ago... now, with the loss of so many contractors, there's always a parking space open.

Special B

Quote from: "kilodelta"Those are the actual costs. The money does get spent.

Are you confused?

Yes, those are the actual prices paid (by the tax payer), but not the actual value.

You have a lot to learn about the Iraq war, it seems. Please Google "Halliburton scandal" and go from there. Maybe Google "no-bid contract" while you are at it. The personal experience you cite (of fair bid contracts) has been disproven, so I have no idea where you are coming from.

I know the involvement of corrupt companies (specifically Halliburton and Blackwater) has declined since the scandals broke, but you are fooling yourself if you think the corruption doesn't continue to this day. We are paying for more than the soldiers are getting and the war profiteers pocket the difference. Having several corrupt companies bid on how much they are going to rip off the tax payer isn't a real fair bid.

kilodelta

Quote from: "Special B"
Quote from: "kilodelta"Those are the actual costs. The money does get spent.

Are you confused?

Yes, those are the actual prices paid (by the tax payer), but not the actual value.

You have a lot to learn about the Iraq war, it seems. Please Google "Halliburton scandal" and go from there. Maybe Google "no-bid contract" while you are at it. The personal experience you cite (of fair bid contracts) has been disproven, so I have no idea where you are coming from.

I know the involvement of corrupt companies (specifically Halliburton and Blackwater) has declined since the scandals broke, but you are fooling yourself if you think the corruption doesn't continue to this day. We are paying for more than the soldiers are getting and the war profiteers pocket the difference. Having several corrupt companies bid on how much they are going to rip off the tax payer isn't a real fair bid.

I was telling you about my personal experience... I didn't mention Iraq or other contracts. I know about "no-bid contracts." I don't have experience in those. You seem to be under the impression that no bid contracts are the norm. They are not. I never addressed the corruption. I only gave you the benefit of my personal experience, not trying to say there is no problem or that there will not continue to be a problem. Please do not try to put words in my mouth.

kilodelta

You were discussing cost... not value. That's a different conversation to the one you started.

PopeyesPappy

Question for you Special B. What contracts were given illegally?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.