USA Military Spending.

Started by Fluffhead, March 20, 2013, 09:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffhead

[size=150]
?But I Sure Have Some Powerful Pills?
[/size][/color]

Mister Agenda

We should at least cut it by 40.2 billion to get it down to 'almost as much'.

Really, it's ridiculous. We could cut that in half and still be the strongest military power on the planet.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Fluffhead

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"We should at least cut it by 40.2 billion to get it down to 'almost as much'.

Really, it's ridiculous. We could cut that in half and still be the strongest military power on the planet.

yea but why the hell do we need weapons anyway. You can't stop war with war. When you defeat your enemy they only think about how they will revenge their lose,its like germany after world war 1.

Also people never want war,politicians,bankers and corporations do because war makes them even more richer. Anyway back to topic,im wount argue with anyone that is prowar on this site.
[size=150]
?But I Sure Have Some Powerful Pills?
[/size][/color]

Plu

It's true. You only need to have enough weapons to make other people realise that all out war with you is a complete waste of time. Everything beyond that is basically pointless, because there's nothing to be gained anymore from going to war with another nation.

I mean seriously; even the US vs Iraq battle is basically just a huge waste of money, and that's the biggest military in the world versus peasants with guns.

The time of war is over.

stromboli

Just slashing the number of super carriers and their attendant costs would save billions.

AllPurposeAtheist

War equals profits.. it's our number one export bar none.
Ridiculous, but the MIC has grown to the extent that every state in the union has become dependent on defense spending. Cut it in half and millions become unemployed. What to replace those cushy jobs with right away..that can be exported like war?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

Profit? I was under the impression it was costing far more than it earned.

gregm766

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"War equals profits.. it's our number one export bar none.
Ridiculous, but the MIC has grown to the extent that every state in the union has become dependent on defense spending. Cut it in half and millions become unemployed. What to replace those cushy jobs with right away..that can be exported like war?

This.

This is the sad reality of it all. The defense budget is the biggest government jobs program we have going.

We need to cut it for sure but we have to be smart about it and do it at appropriate levels over time.

NitzWalsh

China has the largest military in the world at just about 2.3 million. Their budget is $114.2 billion. They have about 300 posted overseas. This is according to wikipedia so it might not be accurate.

I think one of the biggest differences is the USA has set themselves up as the World Police.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

stromboli

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"China has the largest military in the world at just about 2.3 million. Their budget is $114.2 billion. They have about 300 posted overseas. This is according to wikipedia so it might not be accurate.

I think one of the biggest differences is the USA has set themselves up as the World Police.

Right. The second we change that philosophy, the second the rationale for our military goes out the window.

What is ironic is that when I worked at Hill as an aircraft welder, I was working on F-4 Phantoms; at one point, we were working on planes from Egypt and Israel sitting side by side. Personally, I don't care if we sell a zillion planes and make oodles of money to foreign countries and let them kill each other. We do it, other countries do it as well. It is completely hypocritical, but who cares.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Plu"Profit? I was under the impression it was costing far more than it earned.
The profit is defense contracting..planes, bombs, bullets and everything in between. For taxpayers it's the same as turning a used condom inside out for the next go..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

kilodelta

Quote from: "Fluffhead"
Quote from: "Mister Agenda"We should at least cut it by 40.2 billion to get it down to 'almost as much'.

yea but why the hell do we need weapons anyway. You can't stop war with war. When you defeat your enemy they only think about how they will revenge their lose,its like germany after world war 1.

Also people never want war,politicians,bankers and corporations do because war makes them even more richer. Anyway back to topic,im wount argue with anyone that is prowar on this site.

The reason for the rise of the Nazis is that we left Germany as a failed state after WWI. Germany didn't rise as a threat again after WWII due to activities such as the Marshall Plan. Failed states are fertile ground for voilent groups to form. Re: Afghanistan
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"China has the largest military in the world at just about 2.3 million. Their budget is $114.2 billion. They have about 300 posted overseas. This is according to wikipedia so it might not be accurate.

this^^
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

PopeyesPappy

Couple of other charts to help put things into perspective.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Shiranu

Its hard to be an empire without a bloated military.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur