Bare Breasted Women In A Mosque! (In Sweden)

Started by stromboli, July 01, 2013, 07:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... um-ensues/

Video might be NSFW (like you care) your naked breast dosage for today. Hey, its news.  :-D

QuoteIn 2011, while living in Egypt, she uploaded photos to her blog in which she wore nothing more than a flower in her hair, red shoes, and thigh-high polka-dot stockings. This was, she claimed, a form of protest against "the oppression of women in Egypt." After the image went viral and she began receiving death threats and was kidnapped, the 21-year-old was given political asylum in Sweden.
Breasts, for whatever reason, have the power to shock, and I don't think shock tactics such as semi-nude disruptions of religious services will make atheists more loved anywhere on the planet. Not even in live-and-let-live liberal Sweden.
We can probably agree that disturbing the peace is against the law for a reason. Groups of people should be able to come together for worship or companionship unhindered.
And yet — every movement needs its outliers, and I understand perfectly where Elmahdy is coming from. When you're deliberately outrageous, people can hardly ignore you, and you just might force them (after everyone has calmed down) to begin questioning a little bit of what they stand for. Writing blog posts or having a nice panel discussion in a cultural café in Stockholm isn't the same, and doesn't carry the same urgency.

Got to say, this is one brave lady.

Solitary

I hope they don't go to the Middle East and do that. I will understand what the big deal is about women being nude, I got bigger boobs then one of them.  :shock:  :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

StupidWiz

Incoming acid to her face?  :-?

I hope not.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Solitary

It's all Eves fault for tempting Adam with an apple? Well now we know what the bible meant by an apple.  And when Eve looked at naked Adam we know where the snake came into the picture.  :shock:   :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Johan

The people you see protesting naked in public are never the people you want to see protesting naked in public.

I guess it takes a certain amount of bravery to do what they did. But I kind of agree with the writer of the article. Storming naked into a church is not going to do much in the long run except make all atheists look like raving lunatics in the eyes of non-atheists.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

I don't see it doing any harm and I don't see it doing any good. No different than any other small protest.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Johan

It does harm IMO. But I only say that because I've had experiences where I was treated/judged unfairly due to the actions of a select few who were associated with the same group(s) I was associated with. Shit like this gets press and even though our collective attention spans are getting shorter by the minute, people remember these sorts of things and tend to prejudge those who are affiliated based on it. I've seen it, I've experienced it, so I can say with some authority that she's doing far more harm than good with this.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

This was part of FEMEN, yes? At the very least this is the same shit they do.

For me I don't relate actions like this at all to secularism or feminism because it doesn't seem to represent either; its just a shock-tactic that brings attention to groups, not ideals. That said, I guess I can see how people could mistake an ideal for a group, so...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Fidel_Castronaut

lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

SGOS

I find it interesting that 5 cops, all male, managed to respond to that call in such a timely fashion.

"911 emergency for Car 54.  An armed robbery is in progress at a liquor store in your area."

"Send someone else, we are currently providing backup for three officers arresting nude women protestors."