News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Helio vs geo centrism

Started by josephpalazzo, January 08, 2016, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

https://45.media.tumblr.com/fbde47a13ba6693ce245f95a4ba8d528/tumblr_o0k7mkhNSN1uk13a5o1_500.gif

It's just a question of different frames of reference. However, mathematically, Heliocentrism is much easier. Long live Occam's razor!

Baruch

Only informally is helio-centrism simpler.  If you get down to accurate observations, both systems, if you are limited to circles (aka Fourier analysis), involves epicycles.  It was ellipses over circles that is the greater break thru.  Of course early people had a hard time imagining alternative frames of reference ... and that pesky idea of gravity keeps getting in the way, and still does.  Up/Down is the master direction ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

What goes around comes around. I win.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on January 08, 2016, 07:54:08 AM
What goes around comes around. I win.

Had you said that falling is the normal state of objects you would have discovered General Relativity. Spinning only makes you dizzy...

stromboli

I was in the Navy. We didn't have generals. Is there admiral relativity?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on January 08, 2016, 01:04:18 PM
I was in the Navy. We didn't have generals. Is there admiral relativity?

No, but there's special relativity. However, at the speed you were traveling, v<<c, you wouldn't have discovered that either. Tough...

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on January 08, 2016, 07:34:06 AM
Only informally is helio-centrism simpler.  If you get down to accurate observations, both systems, if you are limited to circles (aka Fourier analysis), involves epicycles.  It was ellipses over circles that is the greater break thru.
Except for Mercury, the orbits of the major planets are well-approximated by circles. Even Mercury isn't all that bad. Circles are almost right, and certainly more right than the crazy orbits that look like something you drew from a spirograph you get from geocentrism. The ellipse is a refinement upon the circle, not a major change. (It's not as if ellipses are "formally" right either.)
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

stromboli

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 08, 2016, 10:27:57 PM
Except for Mercury, the orbits of the major planets are well-approximated by circles. Even Mercury isn't all that bad. Circles are almost right, and certainly more right than the crazy orbits that look like something you drew from a spirograph you get from geocentrism. The ellipse is a refinement upon the circle, not a major change. (It's not as if ellipses are "formally" right either.)

I ever in my whole life didn't want to know that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 08, 2016, 10:27:57 PM

Mercury is a bitch. Even in the heliocentric model it has an anomaly that could only be resolved by GR.

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 08, 2016, 02:04:00 PM
No, but there's special relativity. However, at the speed you were traveling, v<<c, you wouldn't have discovered that either. Tough...

Thank you. I always knew I was special.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 09, 2016, 07:21:59 AM
Mercury is a bitch. Even in the heliocentric model it has an anomaly that could only be resolved by GR.

There is always more than one way to draw a line thru the data.  For this one example, one can approximate it by using a force law slightly different that inverse square.

Hakurei - I understand harmonic analysis is used in Statistics.  What orthogonal basis functions you use ... makes things easier or harder.  Of course, as an approximation, over a short duration, the path of a planet is a straight line, as per inertia.  In that sense, Newton made progress, by regressing from Aristotle's position of perfect circles, and then rebuilding from scratch.  Even though, given even two masses in the universe, there is no true inertial motion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on January 09, 2016, 07:48:45 AM
There is always more than one way to draw a line thru the data.  For this one example, one can approximate it by using a force law slightly different that inverse square.

Nice joke. In the old days, you would be a court jester... until the king would get tired of your pranks and have your head off, just saying...

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 09, 2016, 08:28:58 AM
Nice joke. In the old days, you would be a court jester... until the king would get tired of your pranks and have your head off, just saying...

:popcorn:

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 09, 2016, 08:28:58 AM

Just when I think you are sane ... you pull something like this ;-)  Are you playing Three Dimensional chess again?  I was quoting from a perfectly legitimate physics book ... parhelion shift can be produced by a non-integer exponent on the inverse distance .... but it isn't a general theory, like GR.  Also linearized GR can be used for most calculations, rather than the full equations ... but again it isn't a general theory, just data chasing numerology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo