Four arrested in Libya on suspicion of being Christian missi

Started by Valigarmander, February 16, 2013, 08:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/2013216235124227319

QuoteFour foreigners have been arrested in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi on suspicion of being Christian missionaries and printing books about Christianity, a security official has said.

"They were arrested on Tuesday at a publishing house where they were printing thousands of books that called for conversion to Christianity," security official Hussein Bin Hmeid said on Saturday.

"Proselytising is forbidden in Libya. We are a 100 percent Muslim country and this kind of action affects our national security."

Hmeid said the government-affiliated security apparatus called the Preventative Security, for which he is a spokesman, had arrested an Egyptian, a South African, a Korean and a Swede who was travelling on a US passport.

"We are still holding interrogations and will hand them over to the Libyan intelligence authorities in a couple of days," Hmeid said, without giving further details.

The Preventative Security apparatus is a parallel security body created during the 2011 war that ousted Muammar Gaddafi and made up of several rebel brigades which fought in the conflict.

Libya's central government has yet to impose its authority on a myriad of armed groups who have yet to lay down their arms, and with skeletal national security forces, often relies on them for security.

Makes me kind of miss Gaddafi.

Brian37

UGG shit, they ask for our help and then pull this shit.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

Quote from: article"Proselytising is forbidden in Libya. We are a 100 percent Muslim country and this kind of action affects our national security."

Gadaffi was a Muslim too, dumbasses. How the fuck can you rightfully rail against a dictator then act like one yourselves?
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

stromboli

Not sure if indignant over Muslim bigotry or thinking these are some stupid fucking christians.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "stromboli"Not sure if indignant over Muslim bigotry or thinking these are some stupid fucking christians.
Stupid fucking christians.. You go to a nation you better know its laws or lack of.. Sympathy here lands exactly between shit and syphilis. That said, US State dept and the holy senators and reps of the house will put pressure to release them..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Weltfrieden

Quote from: "stromboli"Not sure if indignant over Muslim bigotry or thinking these are some stupid fucking christians.
I choose both.

AllPurposeAtheist

True.. Rememer the Spy vs Spy cartoons? This is asswipes vs asswipes..

Thumpalumpacus

When I was stationed in Saudi, it was infuriating to me that Christians in our unit had to hide their faith, even as they were defending the Muslim "Holy Land" ... not because I was Christian (I had been atheist for ten years at that point), but because it seemed pretty ungrateful.  The same here -- why did we help these intolerant rebels?  This is a good argument, to me, to stay out of affairs that aren't our business.

Plus, it's funny to think that four mere mortals armed with pamphlets might be able to threaten Allah's universal "truth", and Libyan national security.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Jmpty

Go to a place that's obviously hostile to what you are doing, and get caught up in some shit. No sympathy from me. Let 'em rot. God will save them, right? Recently heard the xtians were up in arms about a minister in jail in Iran for "spreading the word." It's The Islamic Republic of Iran, you idiot. What part of that don't you get.
???  ??

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"When I was stationed in Saudi, it was infuriating to me that Christians in our unit had to hide their faith, even as they were defending the Muslim "Holy Land" ... not because I was Christian (I had been atheist for ten years at that point), but because it seemed pretty ungrateful.  The same here -- why did we help these intolerant rebels?  This is a good argument, to me, to stay out of affairs that aren't our business.

Plus, it's funny to think that four mere mortals armed with pamphlets might be able to threaten Allah's universal "truth", and Libyan national security.
Read up on Ibn Saud pre WWII. He was an ally then and since religion not withstanding..

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"When I was stationed in Saudi, it was infuriating to me that Christians in our unit had to hide their faith, even as they were defending the Muslim "Holy Land" ... not because I was Christian (I had been atheist for ten years at that point), but because it seemed pretty ungrateful.  The same here -- why did we help these intolerant rebels?  This is a good argument, to me, to stay out of affairs that aren't our business.

Read up on Ibn Saud pre WWII. He was an ally then and since religion not withstanding..

Yeah, I know.  But at the same time, the Christian members of my unit were facing jail time, in a Saudi jail, for wearing a crucifix or having a Bible on their possession. My context is not foreign policy, but rather, an insulting Status of Forces agreement that rendered the same GIs who defended them unable to express their faith.  As much as I reject religion, of all stripes, I think that sort of churlishness is contemptible.  If someone helps you (general pronoun, not personal) put out your house as it is  ablaze, would you  treat him poorly?  That's my point.
<insert witty aphorism here>

pr126

Come on people,let's not be intolerant tho those Libyan Muslims.
They are only practicing their religion as proscribed.

Islam is the only true religion, everything else is false and forbidden.

As for those Christians threatening national security, well, the state is Islamic, and Islam is very, very insecure.
To the point of paranoia. That is why apostates have to be killed.

At the same time they will say to the ignorant kuffar that we all worship the same god.  
Yeah. Right.

Plu

Quote from: "Rasputin"
I choose both.

This. Idiots on both sides.

pr126

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote from: "Rasputin"
I choose both.

This. Idiots on both sides.
Maybe so.
But you will not find Christians imprisoning Muslims for proselytizing anywhere.
Which makes the moral equivalence unfounded.
Don't you think so? I guess not.

Plu

QuoteMaybe so. But you will not find Christians imprisoning Muslims for proselytizing anywhere.

I'm willing to bet there's some countries in africa where they'll just shoot them instead. Which is entirely besides the point as I know it's your life goal to pour shit on muslims and ignore everything else happening in the world, but hey.