Mahoosive methane leak in California

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, January 03, 2016, 11:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/huge-california-gas-leak-could-take-months-to-fix/

QuoteHuge California gas leak could take months to fix

LOS ANGELES -- The escape of tons of natural gas from storage under a Los Angeles neighborhood is not likely to be fixed for at least another two months due to the specific dynamics of the leak, according to officials.
The leak at Porter Ranch, already several months old, has forced the relocation of several thousand residents who said the stench made them sick.
"I can't work in here, I can't breathe in here sometimes. When that wind blows off that hill, it comes down the fire place," resident Matt Pakucko told CBS News.
More than 6,500 families have filed for help, but only 2,200 have been relocated, CBS News' Mireya Villarreal reported.
The state agency that monitors air quality estimates nearly 70,000 pounds of methane gas is being released every hour. That's roughly a quarter of the methane emissions in California.
An online video released last week shows footage of potentially hazardous methane gases escaping from the leak, CBS Los Angeles reported.
The aerial footage was posted on YouTube by the Environmental Defense Fund. The description for the video says the methane plumes were made visible by a "specialized infrared camera operated by an Earthworks ITC-certified thermographer." CBS Los Angeles confirmed the footage is real.
The Los Angeles Times reported Saturday that the leak persists because workers were unable to plug it and instead have the painstaking task of drilling two relief wells.
Officials with Southern California Gas Co., which operates the Aliso Canyon Underground Storage Facility, estimate the new wells may not be finished until the end of February, or even later.
The new pipes will meet where the well emerges from rock that forms the "capstone" which seals the gas in place.
The natural repository is huge -- nearly one cubic mile at a depth of a mile and a half, according to the newspaper -- and holds natural gas brought from as far away as Canada. The gas company holds it underground, then distributes it to nearly 22 million customers in the region.
Southern California Gas tried to plug the damaged well after the leak began in October, but both an ice blockage and upward pressure averaging 2,700 pounds per square inch wouldn't let the mixture of mud and brine work.
Amid concerns that trying to force the mixture down might create a larger leak, the company decided to drill two relief wells, said Jason Marshall, chief deputy director of the California Department of Conservation, which regulates natural gas wells.
If all goes to plan, those wells will intersect the damaged well where it meets the capstone, about a mile down. Workers hope that will let them plug the well below the damaged, leaky section. The cause and exact location of the leak are unclear, though Marshall said engineers speculate it is about 500 feet underground.
Marshall suspects age is a factor -- the well began operating in 1954, according to Conservation Department records.
Drilling on the first relief well began Dec. 4, but will take weeks to complete. Drilling of the second well is expected by Jan. 20, Marshall said as a backup, in case the first one misses the existing seven-inch pipe or is unable to deliver enough brine and mud to stop the leak.
Trying to intercept at such a depth, Marshall told the newspaper, "is a little like trying to hit a quarter-inch target from the distance of a football field."

Given the magnitude of the leak and the inability to fix it, as well as the ramifications.... I'm quite surprised I've only heard of this now. I'd have thought this would have more coverage, even here in Britain...

Shiranu

QuoteMarshall suspects age is a factor -- the well began operating in 1954, according to Conservation Department records.

This is likely THE largest factor... America's infrastructure is in absolutely terrible disrepair and it's only going to get worse.

I have seen maybe one headline about it and it didn't give me any idea that it was this big of issue. Actually reading now that it is a declared "No fly zone"... and from all the videos I am looking at it is nearly unanimous that this is an issue that is receiving almost no coverage while having the potential to be even worse than the BP oil spill.

The video...

Live stats on it...

https://www.edf.org/climate/californias-massive-methane-leak?utm_source=facebook

$11.000.000 worth of gas so far. And then this...

QuoteThe daily leakage has the same 20-year climate impact as driving 7 million cars a day.

Wow.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

That this has been going on for 2 years, without being fixed, is a "Tell".  The elites don't expect the world to survive, so this isn't worth fixing.  They are getting their bunker ready, before they let the nukes fly.  Not that this is inevitable, but it is what you get when you have a psychotic overclass creating self fulfilling prophecy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

Mahoosive? Massive and humongous? Webster's dictionary is not amused.

Shiranu

The governor's sister is on the companies board... so don't expect California to do anything about this anytime soon.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

stromboli

Quote from: Shiranu on January 03, 2016, 03:01:51 PM
The governor's sister is on the companies board... so don't expect California to do anything about this anytime soon.

What is needed here is some conservative media people in a small plane and a teensy weensy spark from the engine exhaust. Then you will see some action. A quarter mile high plume of flame tends to get people's attention. Also a plane full of media people on fire and plummeting to their death. I know, wishful thinking.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on January 03, 2016, 11:43:54 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/huge-california-gas-leak-could-take-months-to-fix/

Given the magnitude of the leak and the inability to fix it, as well as the ramifications.... I'm quite surprised I've only heard of this now. I'd have thought this would have more coverage, even here in Britain...

Ouch, and thanks from bringing that up.

In a way, I can understand why they want to keep this thing quiet: they need to fix that asap without the circus that media attention often brings. But sooner than later, this will inevitably come on the radar.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 04, 2016, 06:57:44 AM
Ouch, and thanks from bringing that up.

In a way, I can understand why they want to keep this thing quiet: they need to fix that asap without the circus that media attention often brings. But sooner than later, this will inevitably come on the radar.

Yes, if it hadn't been for those pesky kids and their dog, we would have gotten away with it - Nixon
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Quote from: stromboli on January 03, 2016, 02:40:49 PM
Mahoosive? Massive and humongous? Webster's dictionary is not amused.

It's a perfectly cromulent word.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato