Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

We'd go mad if we had to do everything our subconscious does. When engaged properly, conscious decisions can be very high quality. The downside is that conscious decisions are slow, too slow for the basic drudgery that happens every day.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

aitm

I am about 30 years ahead of this, albeit without the degree or the education. I wrote that the human can never fully understand what the subconscious is capable of doing since we can't consciously control our internal organs without a great deal of effort and then only in a limited role such as slowing the heartbeat, but we can't do a damn thing with the liver or pituitary or intestines. I suspected then that all living things probably have such similar ways of dealing with the stem functions that otherwise would clutter the ready conscious for more pressing needs.

Part of that thought was to address the idea of "supernatural" suggestions such as out of body experiences along with near death experiences where people claimed to have been able to identity activities around them while they were "dead". The mind is a wonderful piece of evolution but I also still hold that the micro world built us not as an intentional vessels to live in but as an accidental by-product.

When we are able to manipulate the billions of creatures that live in and on us we will grasp the ability to wipe out cancers and diseases, or simply melt people into a pool of sludge.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust