News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fuck a Keurig

Started by PopeyesPappy, December 31, 2015, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Hear hear for that abomination's retirement.  Keurig is the most expensive way to make a cup of coffee that tastes even worse than instant (and for the record, trying to choose one's favorite instant coffee is not unlike trying to choose one's favorite venereal disease).

For single cup, I recommend either a pourover (cup-top filter) or a French press.  For entire pots, I use a percolator or vacuum pot.  I've experimented with cold drip, which is an excellent low-acid cup.  And an espresso machine which I don't use near enough.  I had a drip machine that never did anything but gather dust.

...yeah, I'm a coffee snob.  I admit it.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

JBCuzISaidSo

Hello. My name is JBC and I am a coffeeholic.

I use the Keurig, and generally use only the refillable inserts (of which I own in bulk, just in case). I can use any coffee I want to from my premium GreenDay coffee, http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/green_days_billie_joe_armstrong_and_mike_dirnt_launch_oakland_coffee_works, to my precious Green Mountain Coffee -- makers of Keurig -- a la Blueberry Cobbler. Mmmmmm.....

I think the machine is as important as you believe it is. I own a simple Keurig, sure, but also have 2 10-cup brewers and a 16 oz travel brewer. My Keurig and one of the 10-cup'rs share an outlet/counter, side-by-side. Yes, I drink that much, it does not keep me awake at night and I have no shame here. None.

My daughter is a tea fanatic and uses it for super hot water, also.

You can get refillable K-cup inserts at amazon, although Walmart and the like no longer sell anything but 2.0 stuff in person. Now, kindly stop dissing my best friend and just brew a plain old Mr. Coffee pot if you're going to be a butt.

By the by, Popeye, as I am a pro housekeeper, if that's a picture of your place, either you use wd40 for that shine, or high gloss poly coating and a buffing tool. Either way I'm pretty impressed.  :cheer:
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on January 08, 2016, 07:18:01 PM
By the by, Popeye, as I am a pro housekeeper, if that's a picture of your place, either you use wd40 for that shine, or high gloss poly coating and a buffing tool. Either way I'm pretty impressed.  :cheer:

lol. Yes it's our place. The greyhound rules paper on the fridge should stand as evidence of that... I'll let Karen know you approve of her house keeping skills.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

JBCuzISaidSo

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 08, 2016, 07:41:48 PM
lol. Yes it's our place. The greyhound rules paper on the fridge should stand as evidence of that... I'll let Karen know you approve of her house keeping skills.
That's what I thought but I had to ask first. Karen is a Goddess, capital G. That is not easy to upkeep with pets and a hubby. You thank her, goddammit. (Please? lol)
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

PopeyesPappy

Not married but officially engaged as of a few weeks ago. She made me fire the once a week house keeper when she moved in a year ago. I try to make it as easy on her as I can by picking up after myself, doing the dishes and occasionally running the vacuum. I used to do a lot of the cooking when I got home before she did, but I finally talked her into quitting her afternoon job in November so now she cooks dinner most weekdays.

stromboli

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 08, 2016, 08:14:53 PM
Not married but officially engaged as of a few weeks ago. She made me fire the once a week house keeper when she moved in a year ago. I try to make it as easy on her as I can by picking up after myself, doing the dishes and occasionally running the vacuum. I used to do a lot of the cooking when I got home before she did, but I finally talked her into quitting her afternoon job in November so now she cooks dinner most weekdays.

Speaking as the caregiver to a mostly invalid wife, I do nearly all the cooking/cleaning/outside landscaping everything with one (1) dog. This is why the house is usually in disarray and why my gay friend won't come inside.

gentle_dissident

"Inventor of K-Cups regrets the idea"
http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/04/news/k-cups-keurig-inventor-regrets/

We've been using this French press for 2 years.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FT3H7G
My GF recently beat the beaker against the trashcan so hard that it broke. It was cheap and easy to pick up a new beaker.

Mermaid

Quote from: gentle_dissident on January 09, 2016, 12:52:16 PM
"Inventor of K-Cups regrets the idea"
http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/04/news/k-cups-keurig-inventor-regrets/

We've been using this French press for 2 years.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FT3H7G
My GF recently beat the beaker against the trashcan so hard that it broke. It was cheep and easy to pick up a new beaker.
I add a little water, swish it around, and pour through a sieve that I keep by the sink. It works great.

French press is the only way to go.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

trdsf

Quote from: Mermaid on January 09, 2016, 12:56:40 PM
I add a little water, swish it around, and pour through a sieve that I keep by the sink. It works great.

French press is the only way to go.
Depends on what you want to get out of the bean, and how much you're planning to make.  French press is great for a quick cuppa -- as is a pourover.  But if you need to make a whole pot, or if you have a high-acid coffee, I recommend a vacuum pot or (if you have the time) cold drip.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mermaid

Quote from: trdsf on January 10, 2016, 01:00:02 AM
Depends on what you want to get out of the bean, and how much you're planning to make.  French press is great for a quick cuppa -- as is a pourover.  But if you need to make a whole pot, or if you have a high-acid coffee, I recommend a vacuum pot or (if you have the time) cold drip.
I haven't tried that cold drip yet. I keep hearing about it though.
Now you have me intrigued about the vacuum pot.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Got a Krupps drip coffee maker and the only reason we have it is because Sylvia will buy just about anything with a blue light on it. Her son says she'd buy a turd if there was a blue light on it, but I actually bought it and it makes good coffee . The idea of making one cup at a time?  If that's all we ever did around here our entire day would revolve around making one cup of coffee at a time so between me, Sylvia and my dad there really is no point to making a cup at a time  and Pappy, don't take it personally, but anyone who buys a product with the name Ninja on it ought to be slapped daily and twice on Sundays ...maybe even three times on Monday. There is simply nothing Japanese warrior like about making coffee unless you are using a sword to do it.
If I want to go all coffee snob I'll make a trip to Columbus Ohio to Cafe Brioso's who probably makes the best coffee anyone could want, but at $2.75 a pop it's too rich for my blood. We've settled on Folgers Black Silk for now.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PopeyesPappy

We didn't buy the Ninja because it said Ninja. We bought it because it got good reviews and does everything we need which is make a regular cup, large cup, half pot and full pot with a flip of a switch. We do need it to make a cup at time too because Karen leaves for work an hour and half before I do. She makes her a cup when she gets up then I make me one when I get up. Weekends we usually just make a pot. I was going to get a commercial Bunn, but they don't make smaller servings as well.

stromboli

Best thing you can say about a Bunn is they are durable, but they are also expensive. I have run 2 different coffee funds and replaced a couple of coffee makers. Older Bunns are hard to find parts for, at least in Utah. But boy they hold up for mass usage. I wouldn't say the quality of the coffee is all that great either. You get good coffee from quality coffee as much as the machine. the last fund I ran people were taking turns buying coffee and always bought the shit that was cheapest.

I finally insisted they pony up the money and bought the coffee myself. Chock Full O' Nuts was (then) the best store brand, Maxwell House and Folger's tied for the worst. Being Utah, there wasn't a lot of selection. But buying coffee from Bunn was too expensive and it wasn't any better than the cheap brands.

I've been making coffee in a French press for like ten years. Works for me, never bitter no matter what brand I use, though some are better than others. I like Starbucks French Roast beans and Morning Blend beans. Use a cheapo burr grinder, grind it and make it as I need it. Keep the beans in the refrigerator for freshness.

trdsf

Quote from: Mermaid on January 10, 2016, 10:50:59 AM
I haven't tried that cold drip yet. I keep hearing about it though.
Now you have me intrigued about the vacuum pot.
The vacuum (aka Silex, aka siphon) pot is the mad science way to make coffee.  Water goes in bottom pot.  Pot with a siphon down to the lower pot goes on top, with a filter and grounds.  After that, it's pure PV=nRT -- the heat increases the vapor pressure, which forces the water up the siphon and into the grounds.  After it's all up there and bubbles around for a minute or two, remove it from the heat and the partial vacuum created by lowering temperature in the bottom pot sucks the coffee back down through the filter.  It's lovely to watch.

stromboli

Quote from: trdsf on January 11, 2016, 01:58:59 PM
The vacuum (aka Silex, aka siphon) pot is the mad science way to make coffee.  Water goes in bottom pot.  Pot with a siphon down to the lower pot goes on top, with a filter and grounds.  After that, it's pure PV=nRT -- the heat increases the vapor pressure, which forces the water up the siphon and into the grounds.  After it's all up there and bubbles around for a minute or two, remove it from the heat and the partial vacuum created by lowering temperature in the bottom pot sucks the coffee back down through the filter.  It's lovely to watch.

Sounds like an upgrade of an old time percolator. Put the water in the bottom, grounds in the basket at the top. Heated water goes up the tube and through the grounds. Obviously inferior because the water goes back down and mixes with the incoming water, so the resultant coffee is more bitter, albeit strong. Aka sheepherder coffee.