Christian Debate in the Chain Saw Shop

Started by SGOS, January 04, 2016, 01:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I work in a large store at the tills, so get the best and worst of people coming though. I was confronted by a catholic, with an Irish accent, or at least I thought he was catholic, since he flat out asked me as I dealt with his items if I was catholic. I really wanted to say to him no i'm an atheist and don't believe in god, but thinking quickly that he might be a crazy ass religious nut, I just said no i'm not catholic, and rushed his goods though, just to avoid what might end up be saying something and costing me my job.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

Unless specifically asked I don't budge in on other people's discussions.

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 05, 2016, 03:46:22 AM

That is wise.  Even when they turn their attention to me and use obvious body language to invite my participation, I am still not obligated to debate even if I want to.  Choosing not to engage is totally appropriate, both intellectually and socially.  That makes me feel better about just walking up to the counter and acknowledging the discussion with a knowing smile, but remaining silent about it.  Just give me my lawn mower, and I'll be moving on.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 05, 2016, 03:46:22 AM

There were these two old white guys that used to stand outside the Coker science building at USC and tried to hand out tracts about how the Earth was only a few thousand years old and fire and damnation and the whole bit. They weren't aggressively confrontational exactly, but they did their damndest to make eye contact with as many people as possible and offer a tract to all passersby.

To me, that feels like being specifically asked. I just never could jump in and go toe to toe with them. I didn't feel like there were enough hours in the day. Let's be honest, two old dudes in suits insisting the planet is only 4500 years old probably have a long track record of denying evidence, and I doubt there's anything I could say that would make them think, "Holy shit, I never thought of that before, NOW I'm an atheist!"

Strangely, the inverse is also true. I can't imagine many people taking a tract, reading it, and thinking, "You know, this makes so much more sense than all of that bullshit they're peddling in biology class. My eyes have been opened!"

I just don't feel like there are a lot of meaningful conversations to have when it comes to opposing religious views, especially in a few brief moments at a cash register or running down a sidewalk when you're late for class.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on January 05, 2016, 08:09:34 AM
I can't imagine many people taking a tract, reading it, and thinking, "You know, this makes so much more sense than all of that bullshit they're peddling in biology class. My eyes have been opened!"
My God.  That's funny.

I just don't feel like there are a lot of meaningful conversations to have when it comes to opposing religious views, especially in a few brief moments at a cash register or running down a sidewalk when you're late for class.

So true.

drunkenshoe

If you are not in a few rare spots on the planet, it is not safe to join in.

People do not have enlightenment switches, but their defense mechanism is violently in tact.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp