Do not wear a headscarf in “solidarity” with the ideology that most silences us.

Started by Valigarmander, December 21, 2015, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I grew up in a Czech community near Chicago.  My friends called themselves Bohemian.  I'm not sure if it was a Czech  thing or not, but the girls all wore these, although not inside, and it wasn't a religious thing.  Maybe they wore these things all over the country back in the 40s and 50s.  The Bohemians called them babushkas, but occasionally they were referred to as scarves.  I think their purpose might have been to keep long hair from being blown around by the wind.

Baruch

E European women showing some modesty.  Not just in Czech Republic.

But also irony.  The picture Shoe showed ... the women are modest on top, but un-modest below.  They are probably laughing at their men-folk.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on December 25, 2015, 01:09:28 PM
E European women showing some modesty.  Not just in Czech Republic.

But also irony.  The picture Shoe showed ... the women are modest on top, but un-modest below.  They are probably laughing at their men-folk.

Baruch, you wouldn't believe the variety of headscarves and its usages here,lol. They even have it made -the fabric while they are wearing- like hair. You know how women get their hair done in many ways to a bun or others shapes? They treat the fabric that way here. I had no idea of it. I just learned it a few months ago.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

In Israel, the kippah ... if you wear one ... or what kind you wear ... identifies your political position of sub-group.  So it can be more than a fashion statement ... but there is no reasoning with people.  I am tolerating, not advocating ... the hijab ... if the problem is with one's religion/politics ... then that is where the problem is, not with the symbols.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Youssuf Ramadan

Many women of various cultures and religions wear head coverings.  Many are a result of being tied into a misogynistic faith, many are not.  How do you police the two?  Good luck.  The reductio ad absurdum potential here is delicious.

Nonsensei

Yes literally the only bad thing about headscarves/hijab is when women are forced to wear them. But then, forcing anyone to wear any article of clothing for any reason is wrong. Its the forcing part that is bad, not the headscarf part or the fact that they're Muslims.

But wearing them in solidarity? It seems stupid to me, but I think wearing things in solidarity with anything seems dumb. I didn't jump on the soldier ribbon bandwagon to show support for our troops either. Making a statement (with actual words) or a donation seems far more effective than altering your appearance.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

josephpalazzo

Kind of crazy to stand in solidarity with the worst ideology on this planet. Fuck that. You might as well wear a swastika at this point.

Baruch

I think I can be sympathetic to the Hell that Germans went thru, even though an enemy at the time, without playing party dress up as a Nazi like one of Diana's kids did.  But the fact remains that the Germans of that time did terrible stuff and had to be stopped ... and pacifism wasn't going to work very well.  Unless it simply doesn't matter when, where, how or why one dies.  Like Golda Meir said ... paraphrased ... I hate the fact not only that you are killing our young men, but you are making us kill your young men.  That is what a mother would say.  So a choice of clothing in certain circumstances is insensitive, even if it is traditional (full face covering of Muslim woman while getting driver's license).

People also love to commune thru shared identity as expressed by shared clothing ... not just soldiers.  And by community, they are both including while excluding.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on December 22, 2015, 01:07:05 PM
All clothing is sexist and oppressive.  Nudists of the world, unite!

then how do i hide my penis, if it gets hard in a another mans girls presence?
hell How do i hide it from people when I think about fucking any females when my dick gets hard?

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on December 26, 2015, 06:54:47 PM
hell How do i hide it from people when I think about fucking any females when my dick gets hard?

New Hebrides ... Vanuatu ... Malekula Island ... there are the Big Nambas and the Little Nambas.  The men use palm leaves to make a sex cache ... you look like you have a stiffy all the time.  Little Nambas have a harder time finding girlfriends ;-)  You can look up the images of the men on Google.  So not quite completely naked ... and nobody aside from you, but your Vanuatu palm leaf sex cache maker knows for sure ... not your hairdresser ... if you like the girl or not ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Just make it patriotic.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

aitm

Keep a special tassle handy and when it gets all nice and stiff, slap that tassel on and do yourself proud! Let it rock man, let the gals just admire and the men quiver…..or vice versa.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust