News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any Board Gamers Around Here?

Started by gentle_dissident, December 16, 2015, 05:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Been sinking too much money in magic The gathering lately. Some friends got me into it. Dragthing is fun as hell. Really liked zendikar boosters, oath o The gatewatch made it more complex, but just as i got used to that; in comes shadows over inistrad; and back to square one we go.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 27, 2016, 02:38:09 AM
Did you just quote.... Yourself?

-Sent from your mom
Hey, Pickled, sometimes the best conversations are those you have with yourself!  No arguing----well, not much.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 27, 2016, 04:55:45 AM
Been sinking too much money in magic

I found MTG to be "pay to play". I got a starter box years ago. I played a game with my GF. We could not find the fun, so I gave it back to the shop for a door prize. Recently, a friend brought over approx 3000 cards to see if I wanted to buy them. He left them with me. I built a red and black deck that whompped a blue and white. The other guy kept setting up fancy attacks, slowly rotating my D20. I kept hammering with indefensible instant mega blows. I won by beating him over the head with the best cards from a huge collection. I didn't even have to think past deck building. My hand played itself.

Even if there is a strategy to match every strategy, I'd rather work in a closed system like Dominion. I imagine that MTG players devote a lot of time following the developments from WOTC. I'd rather put that level of study into chess. Chess boards are everywhere, they are complete, and no pieces have been banned.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: gentle_dissident on April 27, 2016, 01:43:24 PM
Even if there is a strategy to match every strategy, I'd rather work in a closed system like Dominion. I imagine that MTG players devote a lot of time following the developments from WOTC. I'd rather put that level of study into chess. Chess boards are everywhere, they are complete, and no pieces have been banned.

I don't know, chess was a lot better when the barbarian was still in between the knight and the rook.

Lol, no I get you. Half the fun of playing MTG to me is playing it with friends who are into it a lot more than me. A great load of it is just hanging out with the guys and drinking some beer while they smoke some pot. If they stopped playing, I'd never play again myself. It's a fun enough game, imo, but not in and by itself worth the price.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 27, 2016, 02:26:27 PM
I don't know, chess was a lot better when the barbarian was still in between the knight and the rook.

Lol, no I get you. Half the fun of playing MTG to me is playing it with friends who are into it a lot more than me. A great load of it is just hanging out with the guys and drinking some beer while they smoke some pot. If they stopped playing, I'd never play again myself. It's a fun enough game, imo, but not in and by itself worth the price.
Speaking of chess and the barbarian----has anybody played the version of chess from The Chessmen of Mars (Edgar Rice Burroughs)?  The rules were published in the book.  A friend and I in HS built a set--it adds one more row around the edges of the board.  It adds one more piece (well, two more per side), a Flyer I think.  I don't remember how it moves, but that did change the game quite a bit.  Oh, you set up as you would traditionally, so you have an empty row behind your setup.  I remember it as being fun.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 27, 2016, 02:30:51 PM
has anybody played the version of chess from The Chessmen of Mars (Edgar Rice Burroughs)?
Thanks for introducing me to Jetan.
http://www.chessvariants.com/other.dir/jetan.html

It's available for C64 emulators.
http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=12534&d=24

Mike Cl

Quote from: gentle_dissident on April 27, 2016, 03:04:07 PM
Thanks for introducing me to Jetan.
http://www.chessvariants.com/other.dir/jetan.html

It's available for C64 emulators.
http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=12534&d=24
You are more than welcome.  The rules are a bit different than my ancient memory remembered.  But I still have a copy of The Chessmen of Mars, so I should have looked them up. :)  It was a fun game as I remember it--and I got that memory accurate I think.  I'd like to play it again--but I have not had any luck teaching my dogs chess yet.  Nobody else around here wants to take the time for stuff like that.

gentle_dissident

Here's a chess table with pieces I put together from a second hand store. The whole thing was about $10. The quarter is for scale.

drunkenshoe

I just realised this is the board game thread.  :redface:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 27, 2016, 04:41:26 PM
Nobody else around here wants to take the time for stuff like that.
Mf GF and I have been sans daughter for a few days. I looked over at her and said, "let's do something." She asked if I wanted to go to the bedroom. I told her I wanted to play games. Since she is a secret nun, this was more preferable to her. She suddenly liked the idea of thinking instead of zoning. We played rounds of Pente (the promotional John A. Brown board with blue ink). I continually skunked her despite me teaching while talking her through my moves. She's hopelessly green, but Pente comes naturally to me. She had better "skill" at Zombie Dice. We eventually played the entire double feature expansion. We then moved on to 1 game of Flip Out. I played it safe and won.

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 31, 2016, 08:40:54 AM
I just realised this is the board game thread.  :redface:
Thanks for the bump.

Hijiri Byakuren

I play Risk from time to time, but it's hard to find opponents, especially for more advanced versions like Risk 2210.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 31, 2016, 11:51:21 AM
I play Risk from time to time, but it's hard to find opponents, especially for more advanced versions like Risk 2210.
I've never played Risk, but I've collected a few boards.
1968, 1975, 1993, 2210, and Castle Risk

Risk on Steam gets bad reviews, but this looks promising.
https://www.conquerclub.com/
Up for a game?

I have Small World on Steam. I won against the bot once due to a lucky combo. Up for a game?

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

gentle_dissident

See you tomorrow then. I have the day off as well.

Mike Cl

Quote from: gentle_dissident on May 31, 2016, 11:20:14 AM
Mf GF and I have been sans daughter for a few days. I looked over at her and said, "let's do something." She asked if I wanted to go to the bedroom. I told her I wanted to play games. Since she is a secret nun, this was more preferable to her. She suddenly liked the idea of thinking instead of zoning. We played rounds of Pente (the promotional John A. Brown board with blue ink). I continually skunked her despite me teaching while talking her through my moves. She's hopelessly green, but Pente comes naturally to me. She had better "skill" at Zombie Dice. We eventually played the entire double feature expansion. We then moved on to 1 game of Flip Out. I played it safe and won.

My wife and I do play Boggle 5x5 quite often and an occasional game of scrabble.