News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any Board Gamers Around Here?

Started by gentle_dissident, December 16, 2015, 05:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Anyone going to be at Origins this coming weekend?  I'll be there Friday (mainly for the Smithees) and probably Saturday as well.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

If any of you enjoy mtgo, I'm Mr_Obvious if you ever want to play a friendly match.
I'm pretty bad at it and only have one standard deck yet, but I enjoy playing.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

doorknob

The only board or card games I play are for extreme nerds like myself. Now I can't play a regular deck of cards or board games. I like coup.

trdsf

I was just thinking that I would *love* to find a group for semi-regular rounds of Illuminati -- either the original small-card edition, or the CCG version.  Love 'em both.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

I have an entire closet shelf filled with ACTUAL board games, meaning the kind you put on a table and sit around playing.  Everything from the standards like Scrabble to some games you have never heard of (Camelot?  Feudal?).  I thought I found an old game club locally a few years ago, but they had shut down.  Pity.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on October 22, 2016, 11:21:49 PM
I have an entire closet shelf filled with ACTUAL board games, meaning the kind you put on a table and sit around playing.  Everything from the standards like Scrabble to some games you have never heard of (Camelot?  Feudal?).  I thought I found an old game club locally a few years ago, but they had shut down.  Pity.
So do I.  And yes, I do know Feudal.  Used to like it.  I must have close to 50 of them now; had more.  So, Cavebear, why not grab a few (dozen???) and come on over next weekend.  We could have a hell of a time! :)))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 23, 2016, 12:07:53 AM
So do I.  And yes, I do know Feudal.  Used to like it.  I must have close to 50 of them now; had more.  So, Cavebear, why not grab a few (dozen???) and come on over next weekend.  We could have a hell of a time! :)))

Where are you?

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

I'm in MD.  That would be one long drive to play Feudal across a table...  ;)

doorknob

Meh those are all normal board games. Get some real board games like "letters to white chapel" How about a good old frustrating game of elder signs? Those are some games that are fun.

Cavebear

Are those some of those weird Avalon Hill games?  It takes days just to figure out the rules.  Not that I mind doing it.

Hydra009

I'm actually getting back into board games.  My local games store has a couple board game nights a week and a bunch of board games available for demonstration purposes.  (free to play, in the literal sense)

The sheer amount of board games on the shelves is pretty incredible.  Board games really are going through a bit of a millennial boom right now.

My wishlist:

Betrayal at House on the Hill:  Horror-themed exploration RPG.  Someone turns traitor eventually, probably.  RNG (Random Number Goodness).  I also really like that the map is generated differently each time.  Great replay value.

Secret Hitler:  Election-based game of lies and colluding scoundrels trying to get a narcissistic authoritarian maniac into power.  So naturally, there's a Trump version of it.  Also, it's the only game in town where you can bellamy salute in public and it might be considered socially acceptable.  Easy as hell to learn, few pieces to keep track of.  Great party game.

Sushi Go:  Extremely simple but addictive card game where you amass a collection of sushi with kawaii faces.  Weapons-grade cute and extremely family-friendly.  Games typically take <20 minutes.

Forbidden Island/Desert:  Cooperative RPG.  Players VS environmental dangers and a punishing deck of increasingly dire events.

Legendary:  Cooperative card game set in the Marvel universe where plays try to beat a villainous mastermind and his/her henchmen.  Stop, you had me at Marvel.

Baruch

Betrayal at House on the Hill ... I played this with my daughter when she was a teen.  Good game.  But you need like 4 players.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I'm not sure if you are joking me with those.  LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 22, 2017, 03:19:44 AM
I'm not sure if you are joking me with those.  LOL!

You worked for government.  Maybe "Secret Hitler" is your style?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.