News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any Board Gamers Around Here?

Started by gentle_dissident, December 16, 2015, 05:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

Within the last few years, I’ve gotten into really old school gaming. I’ve collected MANY games and made a few from templates at https://boardgamegeek.com/ . I’m not very good, but I still find it hard to find people who will play with me. I’m always free at 12:00 AM Central. I’m also free at other times, but that time is guaranteed.

My steam account has Blood Bowl Legendary Edition, Small World, Space Hulk, Talisman, and Ticket to Ride (popular but horrible game).

These are some nice online gaming sites http://www.happymeeple.com/en/ http://www.pente.org/index.jsp http://youplay.it/  http://www.playcatan.com/en/ http://en.boardgamearena.com.

If you have the physical board game Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, we can play online here http://www.daysofwonder.com/cleopatra/en/ .

If you play chess, you probably have a favorite site. If you feel like schooling me, let me know. I promise to disappoint.

Send me a PM if you want to game, but please, reply here about anything board game related.

Unbeliever

I've played chess for about 40 years, and enjoyed many other board games, as well. It's hard for me to find anyone else to play with, since I prefer being alone most of the time.

Ever played Twixt, or Feudal?.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

gentle_dissident

I haven't played either. Here's my collection https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/androidlove?own=1&subtype=boardgame&gallery=large&ff=1

I have some RPG's not listed and a couple of games not in the BGG database yet.

gentle_dissident

I just bought TSR's Dragon Strike for $35 on Amazon. It was on a different page that the $180 listing. It's handled by Amazon and looks to be new. It's probably a mistake. I hope they honor it.

Shiranu

I am 20 hours away from 1000 hours on Civ V.

Edit: Derp... I just realized this was the board game thread. Just gonna... slowly walk out...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

gentle_dissident

Sid's Civ is a very popular board game. I haven't picked it up because I haven't come across it at a deep discount. I'd prefer a 90% discount, but I'll pay a little more. My games are life insurance. They should at least get me cremated.

Shiranu

Quote from: gentle_dissident on December 16, 2015, 06:06:07 PM
Sid's Civ is a very popular board game. I haven't picked it up because I haven't come across it at a deep discount. I'd prefer a 90% discount, but I'll pay a little more. My games are life insurance. They should at least get me cremated.

Yeah I played one pretty regularly... 10 or so years ago. I enjoyed it but I don't think we ever actually finished a game.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: gentle_dissident on December 16, 2015, 05:19:47 PM

If you play chess, you probably have a favorite site. If you feel like schooling me, let me know. I promise to disappoint.

Wait... Does that mean you are good at chess? :p
I like chess. As Well as other board/card games in general. Apart from chess i haven't played them online much. Isn't half the fun playing it irl with friends?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

I like Monopoly and Risk.  HeroQuest was great fun to DM.

Haven't played a non-electronic board game in ages, though.  But lately, I've been watching Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day's Tabletop show and it's gotten me interested again.  I'm thinking about getting either Dead of Winter or Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill or Arkham Horror.  Or maybe a deck-building game like Legendary.

My main problem is that I have like 1 other person who is interested and available most of the time.  Then there's the family at Christmas time, but there's no way in hell they'll go for anything with more than a 10-min prep time and lasts longer than an hour, if I can even coax them at all.

SGOS

Board Games?  Now there's a blast from the past.  I have fond memories of board Games.  I like the new single player computer games too.  They are challenging, stimulating, and if nothing else, I'm amazed by the programming they entail.  Directing an avatar to run around in an almost photo realistic 3D environment is nothing short of stunning.  The work required to create such a game dumbfounds me.  But playing a board game with family brings back great memories.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 17, 2015, 02:30:27 AM
I like chess. As Well as other board/card games in general. Apart from chess i haven't played them online much. Isn't half the fun playing it irl with friends?
I understand the logical conundrum I posed. Perhaps that means I'm a secret chess genius since I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

Yes, board games are best played live. I really notice this playing Talisman on the computer with my daughter who is in the next room. People seem to prefer screens to actual human interaction. I have to adjust by necessity. I'm hoping I can at least give people a desire to leave the screen and play the real thing.

I'm listening to NPR going on about the popularity of video games. The popularity of video games is huge. My family likes to watch me play the N64 or the Atari 2600, but it's hard to get them to play with me. "You're just going to win" is what I hear. I've had luck getting going games of Mario Party, a board game of sorts. I usually win, but the other players are happy to fight over 2nd place. I should fire up the Odyssey 2 and play the cooperative game The Quest for the Rings. It also has an actual board game component. The Odyssey 2 makes me laugh so hard that I come close to passing out.

I have board games that have a video component. So far, I've only got Clue DVD, house ruled for 2 actions, to the table. My family liked it, but they're general Clue fans.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 17, 2015, 03:50:17 AM
I like Monopoly and Risk.  HeroQuest was great fun to DM.

Haven't played a non-electronic board game in ages, though.  But lately, I've been watching Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day's Tabletop show and it's gotten me interested again.  I'm thinking about getting either Dead of Winter or Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill or Arkham Horror.  Or maybe a deck-building game like Legendary.

My main problem is that I have like 1 other person who is interested and available most of the time.  Then there's the family at Christmas time, but there's no way in hell they'll go for anything with more than a 10-min prep time and lasts longer than an hour, if I can even coax them at all.
I have a few versions of Risk, as you can see on my BGG collection page. I only have fond memories of watching a hip adult play it when I was a kid. I've been playing Small World on my PC and tablet. I occasionally beat the AI.

I have a complete HeroQuest. I plan on forcing my family and my daughter's friends to play soon. I'll be using some traditional house rules.

I love Tabletop.

I picked up Arkham Horror cheap. I got a chance to play with an actual gamer before he moved far away. I felt like the game played itself and I wound up with a headache from the constant rules referencing. BGG said that this is normal for a 1st play and recommended I read the edited rules from the file section.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: SGOS on December 17, 2015, 06:38:36 AM
Board Games?  Now there's a blast from the past.  I have fond memories of board Games.  I like the new single player computer games too.  They are challenging, stimulating, and if nothing else, I'm amazed by the programming they entail.  Directing an avatar to run around in an almost photo realistic 3D environment is nothing short of stunning.  The work required to create such a game dumbfounds me.  But playing a board game with family brings back great memories.

Have you played the Hitman GO app? It's more of a puzzle, but I include puzzles in my BGG collection. "Board Games" has a broad definition for me. I include activities like Horseshoes and Tangram.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 17, 2015, 02:30:27 AM

I'll play you at chess
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit