Gun Safety Instructor Shoots Pastor During Demonstration

Started by stromboli, December 16, 2015, 03:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gun-safety-instructor-shoots-pastor-during-demonstration-in-california/

QuoteMODESTO, Calif. -- A Modesto pastor is recovering after being shot during a gun safety class, CBS Sacramento reports.

Tom Smith, a family pastor who also helps with church security, was shot by his own gun safety instructor.

Modesto Police say they were acting out a scenario when a loaded gun the instructor was holding accidentally went off. They say they gun fired at the end of class after the instructor put a mock gun down and picked up his real loaded gun.

Police say so far it's unclear if the instructor believed he was using the mock gun he had been using to teach the class.

The shooting incident comes at a time when church members in California are training to carry concealed weapons in response to recent mass shootings like

Irony? Karmic justice? Freudian Slip? Go any way you want with this puppy.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

TomFoolery

American churches: where praising the Lord and Yosemite Sam performance art intersect.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

PopeyesPappy

Shit happens. Mostly because people are stupid. An average of two police officers die every year from gunshots wounds received in training accidents.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

I could relate stories on fun with black powder, but if you want to see some humans hurt, go to a mountain man rendezvous. "Three Finger Willie" will explain it to you. Think of a drunk guy aiming to throw a hatchet with a crowd standing behind him.

Having long experience with handguns, I definitely know they can hurt or kill you.

gentle_dissident

Many people are disenfranchised. Gun free zones are a glorious suicide to some of them. Until we can solve our problems of isolation and inequality, people better learn to defend themselves.

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on December 16, 2015, 06:02:06 PM
Many people are disenfranchised. Gun free zones are a glorious suicide to some of them. Until we can solve our problems of isolation and inequality, people better learn to defend themselves.

The poor will always be with you ... Jeebus.

The best solution is to not isolate yourself, and give your shit away ... Jeebus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

hrdlr110

Nothing like demonstrating the merits of how a gun can stop someone than with a live demonstration of shooting a real person with real bullets. Sales probably tripled. Those that were on the fence about it, bought a gun.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

FaithIsFilth

Why was this thread made, Stromboli? To laugh at people that have been shot? I know we like to laugh at Christians here, but is it really that funny when they get shot? It's "justice" when someone you don't like gets shot, eh? This way of thinking doesn't sound much different from the Christians who laugh when abortion doctors get shot. It's also just "karmic justice" to them. The guy was a nutcase who enjoyed killing babies, just like the victim in your OP is a Christian "nutcase" who enjoys guns too much?

SGOS

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on December 17, 2015, 03:29:30 AM
Why was this thread made, Stromboli?

This thread may not be for you, but many people will understand the irony of gun crazed rednecks shooting themselves when demonstrating how to handle guns safely.  "Always keep the safety on until you're ready to start a shootout.  That's all you need to know."

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 17, 2015, 05:51:55 AM
This thread may not be for you, but many people will understand the irony of gun crazed rednecks shooting themselves when demonstrating how to handle guns safely.  "Always keep the safety on until you're ready to start a shootout.  That's all you need to know."

Adding ... some people like these stories ... because they are Darwin Awards.  And evolutionists of course dig that, even when the bones aren't fossilized.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on December 17, 2015, 03:29:30 AM
Why was this thread made, Stromboli?
Why was that post made? To try to intimidate people into shutting up about topics you don't like?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

TomFoolery

Quote from: SGOS on December 17, 2015, 05:51:55 AM

Not all guns, particularly handguns, have an external safety in the failsafe sense that you flip a lever or depress a button. Grip safeties and trigger safeties in particular come to mind. Many revolvers have no safety mechanism at all. Most semi-automatic handguns have drop safeties that prevent internal mechanisms from engaging if they are accidentally dropped or bumped, but yeah.

It's more practical to say your finger should never touch the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?