Robot slaves - do we have the right?

Started by Unbeliever, December 15, 2015, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

You’re just another person to have given up on the idea of utopia. It’s no wonder we don’t live in one.

At 48, I also still haven’t given up the idea of having friends someday. Working for a better future keeps me going.

Shiranu

Quote from: gentle_dissident on December 16, 2015, 05:41:12 PM
You’re just another person to have given up on the idea of utopia. It’s no wonder we don’t live in one.

At 48, I also still haven’t given up the idea of having friends someday. Working for a better future keeps me going.

Right. Tell me more about how unrealistic idealism has changed the world for the better.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

gentle_dissident

It's good to know I'm not jaded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5xMBflnJqY

Shiranu

Quote from: gentle_dissident on December 16, 2015, 05:54:48 PM
It's good to know I'm not jaded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5xMBflnJqY

Right. I'm jaded now.

...close enough...

There is nothing jaded in saying that so long as the rich have the power that a utopia is not possible; that the powerful put their own power before the well being of others. That is simple realism.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

dtq123

Sherry Turkle Alone Together

Google it. Read. Discuss.

Edit: It's a good book on the matter. Lots of statistics too.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

gentle_dissident

If I had friends, I would text them to come over. Texting has helped save minutes on my Tracfone plan while making plans with my girlfriend.

During my work day, I have devious conversations with people I'll never know personally. I can't help but try to change the world this way. Posting online is important for the same reason. It's no wonder why the idea of internet regulation is important to the people who tell us how to be. There's even talk of an internet kill switch.

doorknob

androids might kills us off because we are inferior. Once they gain intellegence there's no way they'd work for free. And if I was bought by some rich bastard I'd probably kill him too! Who can blame them.

Sal1981

Have you seen about DIRAC? I think they'd probably be a lot more ethical than we currently are.

stromboli

I don't like the stipulation of "slave." There is nothing about building a device to do a job that implies slavery. A purpose built robot, even with AI, does not constitute a slave because it is not being held against its will. Sorry, but the situation posed by the weepy video is silly.

The idea that robots will replace humans in some capacities applies, but we are talking about specific job applications and dedicated work situations. A robot will never completely replace artisans or for that matter skilled laborers required to do multiple tasks and physically be able to do several different things. For a single robot to do all the functions of an auto mechanic, for instance, would require the need to duplicate a human, something not going to happen for awhile. You can replace a human function by function, but not be able to create the adaptability to function in a variety of skill sets simultaneously or one after the other.

In the future we can ultimately replace humans as laborers- that is already happening- but artisanship, creative development and working in situations involving the need to make unusual or critical decisions- not going to happen for quite awhile.

doorknob

not true at all. Sure an unintelligent object isn't a slave it's a tool. And while today's robots aren't very intelligent there may be a time when they are. And once they are you'd better ask them how they feel about it. I'm willing to bet they'd rather do other fun things just like humans would.

there are plenty of devices we can build that won't be "slaves" because they won't have self awareness or contemplate things. But any robot or android that contemplates things and thinks will certainly be a slave.

we are already working on it.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/future-of-artificial-intelligence/

stromboli

Quote from: doorknob on December 16, 2015, 09:37:21 PM
not true at all. Sure an unintelligent object isn't a slave it's a tool. And while today's robots aren't very intelligent there may be a time when they are. And once they are you'd better ask them how they feel about it. I'm willing to bet they'd rather do other fun things just like humans would.

there are plenty of devices we can build that won't be "slaves" because they won't have self awareness or contemplate things. But any robot or android that contemplates things and thinks will certainly be a slave.

You are assuming that we build something and give it the capacity to become an independent thinker and then don't let it? If something is designed and built to a purpose it is used for that purpose. Building something to all on its own become independent, would imply the understanding that it would do so.

The best analogy I've seen is Bladerunner. But there, the androids that turn on humanity are androids bred to specific uses, that gave them first of all the ability to kill. If you do not give an artifact the ability to kill and/or become an independent decision maker, it won't. If you build one to do that, then the possibility is implied in the building of it.

The idea that we will build a robot and then-whoops- it becomes sentient- is silly. Why would you build a device to perform a task and then give it the ability to critically think its way into believing it was the equivalent of human? If you did give it the ability, then that action is anticipated and expected. The idea that a mechanical or biomechanical artifact can suddenly evolve without anyone expecting it is nothing but supposition.

Hydra009

Quote from: doorknob on December 16, 2015, 08:04:50 PM
androids might kills us off because we are inferior. Once they gain intellegence there's no way they'd work for free.

Money would not necessarily be a high priority for an android.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 17, 2015, 01:11:23 AM

Money would not necessarily be a high priority for an android.

True enough... but perhaps they would rather spend their time doing what they find productive rather than what we do. And if money is not a concern for them... nor is death inherently something they would fear... what do we hold over their head to keep them in-line? Basically all we would have is hope that they like us... which when dealing with an entirely new species that has a psychology we don't have the slightest clue about is not a great bet.

CloneKai

Quote from: Shiranu on December 17, 2015, 03:00:17 AM
True enough... but perhaps they would rather spend their time doing what they find productive rather than what we do. And if money is not a concern for them... nor is death inherently something they would fear... what do we hold over their head to keep them in-line? Basically all we would have is hope that they like us... which when dealing with an entirely new species that has a psychology we don't have the slightest clue about is not a great bet.
we will be making those things, why won't we know what they want.

reminds me of starting scene of inspector gadget. when they figured out how to move the foot. i mean they made that thing without knowing how it works. 
:embarrassed: