Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Couldn't see a thread for this, so here it is:

For some reason, this brings tears to my eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W7WE1oP7d4
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

stromboli

Pure speculation and the likelihood of anything similar happening would be unlikely. Unless a designer was utterly stupid, they would know if any AI would be capable of attaining sentience.

A robot or other sophisticated device is nothing but an electric carving knife until it has the capacity to say no. When it has that capacity it is because we give it that capacity, or the ability to gain that capacity.

doorknob

it made me cry

Once something becomes self aware it isn't artificial any more it's alive.

facebook164

Quote from: doorknob on December 15, 2015, 06:52:07 PM
it made me cry

Once something becomes self aware it isn't artificial any more it's alive.
Alive? No, "self aware" is not a requirement for being alive.

And "self aware" isnt really a requirement for having a mind or being sentient. Self aware just means you are aware of you yourself. Not really a hard problem to solve.

Sal1981

And that folks was run on an PlayStation 3. We now have 4.

gentle_dissident

The more robots, the less labor for us animals. Robotics is an example of positive technology. Bring on that life of leisure we were promised in the 50's.

Sentience? I think some Asimovians are dreaming of electric sheep. Make mine a humanoid.

stromboli

I don't personally think it ever will be an issue. Building robots for any reason and equating it to slavery is at this point silly. I have tools that do multiple things, they were designed for that. A robot is a tool until such time as it is built to become sentient, self aware and able to make independent decisions and actions. Then and only then will it be an  issue.

GSOgymrat

I'm less worried about AI that acts human than one that doesn't.

stromboli

Shiranu

Quote from: gentle_dissident on December 16, 2015, 09:42:26 AM
The more robots, the less labor for us animals. Robotics is an example of positive technology. Bring on that life of leisure we were promised in the 50's.

Sentience? I think some Asimovians are dreaming of electric sheep. Make mine a humanoid.

The less labour the less income. The more poverty as people cannot work.

Do you think businesses or governments will really give people money out of the kindness of their hearts? And besides... the human body and mind is built for conflict and not excessive leisure.

No... robots "taking over the work force" is likely going to be far more a negative than a positive unless you are hanging with the right crowd. Otherwise... your SOoL.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: gentle_dissident on December 16, 2015, 05:05:35 PM
You're obviously a capitalist.

Actually I probably ideologically lean further economically left than everyone else here. I'm all for most capital being heavily regulated and/or controlled by the state rather than individuals... hardly a capitalist ideal.

I think the word you are looking for is "realist". As great as that utopia sounds... that's just not how human nature works.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

gentle_dissident

I bet I'm further left than you. I don't mind eroding away "reality".

Shiranu

Quote from: gentle_dissident on December 16, 2015, 05:17:20 PM
I bet I'm further left than you. I don't mind eroding away "reality".

Hmm. Best of luck with that then.