News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Very quick question.

Started by Tryed, March 19, 2013, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmpty

Is this the old " If a tree falls in the forest," thing?
???  ??

Brian37

I always get a lip twitch when people mentally masturbate. It still amounts to "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts" when what is important is EVIDENCE.

One can postulate an infinite amount of possible claims. But they never consider the most likely answer is that it is just a "feel good" or "woo" claim.

When you look at our species evolution, especially from the start of the written era, you see tons of dead myths humans no longer believe in. But even with all the invisible friend claims made by billions of people, not one can beat anyone to a patient office or win a Nobel Prize by proving it.

So between a god existing or people making them up, the safe bet is that people make them up.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Tryed

You must think I'm a theist, no, I'm not. I was in need of that answer to complete an argument AGAINST the existence of god, but all you did was throw hissy fits at me

But since the answer is no to the reformulated question, my argument fell apart.
Too bad.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Tryed"I'm simply asking if it's possible to conceive of a world like that. I know contingent beings are possible in some worlds and not in others. I'm asking if it's possible for there to be a world without even ONE contingent being, or a world without the existence of contingent beings.

Asked & answered ??
 :wink:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Tryed"You must think I'm a theist, no, I'm not. I was in need of that answer to complete an argument AGAINST the existence of god, but all you did was throw hissy fits at me

But since the answer is no to the reformulated question, my argument fell apart.
Too bad.

WTF?

You butthurt, dude?
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Tryed

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "Tryed"You must think I'm a theist, no, I'm not. I was in need of that answer to complete an argument AGAINST the existence of god, but all you did was throw hissy fits at me

Too bad.

WTF?

You butthurt, dude?

Not one bit, unfortunately the answer was not the one that I wanted, so I had to drop the argument.

aitm

Let's also define "world". Since the definition is applied by humans the "moon" is not a world but I would suggest if a being lives within it, it is indeed a world. Or a star, how anything can survive in a inferno is beyond me but not impossible I suppose. So are stars worlds in your scenario...

most likely the answer is rather simply. Some do, some don't.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Brian37

Too bad.

I didn't assume anything about you. I hate mental masturbation no matter who it is coming from. If you think you have something, you do your homework first, kick the shit out of the claim, then get it independently peer reviewed. If after all that your claim survives, then you are onto something.

Otherwise since I like the idea of getting a blowjob from Angelina Jolie must mean it will happen because I thought of it and uttered it.

The point is EVIDENCE is what matters, not claims. Claims are only claims until evidence backs them up.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Tryed

Quote from: "aitm"Let's also define "world". Since the definition is applied by humans the "moon" is not a world but I would suggest if a being lives within it, it is indeed a world. Or a star, how anything can survive in a inferno is beyond me but not impossible I suppose. So are stars worlds in your scenario...

World in the context of the thread means the "possible worlds", that thing used a lot in philosophy.

aitm

Quote from: "Tryed"
Quote from: "aitm"Let's also define "world". Since the definition is applied by humans the "moon" is not a world but I would suggest if a being lives within it, it is indeed a world. Or a star, how anything can survive in a inferno is beyond me but not impossible I suppose. So are stars worlds in your scenario...

World in the context of the thread means the "possible worlds", that thing used a lot in philosophy.

okay so the moon, an asteroid and the sun is a "possible" world since we can't define whatever life you are trying to define.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Brian37

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"

Too bad.

WTF?

You butthurt, dude?

Not one bit, unfortunately the answer was not the one that I wanted, so I had to drop the argument.

No don't just "drop" the argument. That is a dodge because we challenged you. The intellectual and right thing to do is when your argument gets defeated, treat it as a learning experience and discard it. That is how one learns and grows.

Brian37

I hate the word "Philosophy" it is a loaded and abused word outside of science is nothing more than excuse to be dogmatic. Religions and political parties are "philosophies" and they have been fucking up humans since their invention.

I don't give a shit about "philosophy". I care what you can prove in a lab and what can be independently verified.

Tryed

Quote from: "Brian37"No don't just "drop" the argument. That is a dodge because we challenged you. The intellectual and right thing to do is when your argument gets defeated, treat it as a learning experience and discard it. That is how one learns and grows.

Isn't dropping it the same as discarding it? Should I abandon the argument or try to fix it?

Tryed

Quote from: "Brian37"I hate the word "Philosophy" it is a loaded and abused word outside of science is nothing more than excuse to be dogmatic. Religions and political parties are "philosophies" and they have been fucking up humans since their invention.

I don't give a shit about "philosophy". I care what you can prove in a lab and what can be independently verified.

I too don't like philosophy, I used to avoid it. But I'm feeling forced to attack some "philosophical" theistic arguments for reasons I don't think it's good for me to reveal

Brian37

"possible worlds"

Ok, lets take this naked assertion to its absurd conclusion

If anything is possible until we prove it isn't then the following is true.

The universe was farted out of a monkey's ass.
The universe is a giant computer program.
The universe was made from pixy dust.
The universe was made from Thor.
The universe was made from ice cream.
The universe came from quarks with human brains.
The universe came from Allah.
The universe came from Jesus.
The universe was started by "The Force".

I could go on, but I am hoping you get the point.

Where your logic fails is there is a HUGE difference between not knowing the answer to something and the "probability", of your claim being the likely answer. Since human perception is notoriously flawed, it is a bad idea to fill in the gap. It is better to simply go with the best current data and work from there. And right now our current data is saying that a cognition IS NOT required and is INFINITELY UNLIKELY to be the cause.