News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Very quick question.

Started by Tryed, March 19, 2013, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tryed

Heya, here goes

Is a world with NO contingent beings (not even one) possible?

Or perhaps for better wording:

Is a world without the existence of any contingent beings possible?

Please help me with this one

Plu

What's a contingent being?

Brian37

Does a hurricane need an ocean god to cause it? Does lightening need a god to cause it?

A god is not required or any type of being for anything in the universe to happen. PERIOD!

An imagination and wishful thinking is all it takes to pull shit out of one's ass.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Mister Agenda

Sounds like a backwards-question. We know contingent beings are possible, because we exist. There appears to be no good reason why the universe couldn't get along without us, though. Shouldn't the question be if it is possible for a non-contingent being to exist?
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Brian37

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"Sounds like a backwards-question. We know contingent beings are possible, because we exist. There appears to be no good reason why the universe couldn't get along without us, though. Shouldn't the question be if it is possible for a non-contingent being to exist?

How about skip the mental masturbation and chalk it up to human imagination?
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Tryed

I'm simply asking if it's possible to conceive of a world like that. I know contingent beings are possible in some worlds and not in others. I'm asking if it's possible for there to be a world without even ONE contingent being, or a world without the existence of contingent beings.

Jason78

Quote from: "Tryed"Is a world with NO contingent beings (not even one) possible?
Is a world without the existence of any contingent beings possible?

Yes.

Glad to be of help.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "Tryed"Is a world without the existence of any contingent beings possible?
Why would 'contingent beings', whatever the fuck they are, be nessecary for a world to exist?

Have contingent beings been observed on Mars? On Venus?
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

stromboli

We conceive of contingent beings because we are here. Haven't found any on Mars, far as I know.

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "stromboli"We conceive of contingent beings because we are here. Haven't found any on Mars, far as I know.

Could you link me to a definition?
All google turns up is that 'contingent' means 'neither true nor false', and that - in my mind - is rather difficult to apply to 'beings'.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

SGOS

As far as we know all beings in the universe are a byproduct of the universe.  Once you have a universe, atoms combine, and things happen, beings being one of the things that happen.  I don't see how anything could happen without a universe.

Tryed

Yes, SGOS, I wonder how necessary beings can exist without the existence of something physical.

I reformulated the question I think

Is the existence of contingent beings necessary in itself?

Brian37

Quote from: "stromboli"We conceive of contingent beings because we are here. Haven't found any on Mars, far as I know.

And there is a word for that "anthropomorphism". It is nothing but psychological projectionism of human qualities on the world around you.

I forget which ancient Greek was on to this idea but said "If horses had gods their gods would look like horses"

Brian37

Quote from: "Tryed"Yes, SGOS, I wonder how necessary beings can exist without the existence of something physical.

I reformulated the question I think

Is the existence of contingent beings necessary in itself?

The answer is no. If anything this bullshit over complicates explanations of reality. It is nothing more than a gap answer caused by credulity and willful ignorance.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Tryed"I'm simply asking if it's possible to conceive of a world like that. I know contingent beings are possible in some worlds and not in others. I'm asking if it's possible for there to be a world without even ONE contingent being, or a world without the existence of contingent beings.

Asked & answered ??
 :wink:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.