Ted Cruz Challenged Science At His Climate Change Hearing

Started by josephpalazzo, December 11, 2015, 10:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

QuoteWhat Ted Cruz Said: A bunch of scientists got stuck in Antarctic ice last year, so John Kerry was wrong about Arctic ice melt. <blockquote>“The summer of 2013 has come and gone, and John Kerry was not just a little bit â€" he was wildly, extraordinarily, entirely wrong. Had the [2014] Antarctic expedition in the picture next to it not believed the global warming alarmists, had they actually looked to the science and the evidence … they wouldn’t have been looked down and been surprised when they got stuck in ice.” </blockquote>What Science Says: The Antarctic is not the same as the Arctic.

What Ted Cruz Said: CO2 isn’t bad, because we’ve had more CO2 in our atmosphere then we have right now.
<blockquote>“I would note that the history with markedly more CO2 pre-dated the industrial revolution, so it didn’t come from automobiles or the burning of carbon fuels. … I would note those facts are directly contrary to what the global warming alarmists tell us day in and day out, and what the media who echoes those concerns tell us day in and day out.”</blockquote>What Science Says: The last time CO2 was this high, humans didn’t exist, and the planet was a terrifying place.

What Ted Cruz Said: Arctic and Antarctic ice are both increasing.
<blockquote>“Here are the inconvenient facts about the polar ice caps. The Arctic is not ice free. This year’s minimum sea ice extent was well above the record low observed in 2011. In the Antarctic, a recent study… indicates that the ice is not only not decreasing, but is in fact increasing in mass, directly contrary to what the global warming alarmists had told us would be happening.”</blockquote><blockquote></blockquote>What Science Says: Sea ice in the Arctic and land ice in the Antarctic have been dramatically decreasing for decades.

What Ted Cruz Said: It doesn’t matter than 97 percent of scientists agree about climate change, because 97 percent of scientists said the sun rotated around the earth in the 1600s.What Science Says: Scientists did not use the modern scientific method in 1600s.
What Ted Cruz Said: Satellite data shows no warming for the last 18 years.<blockquote> “According to the satellite data, there has been no significant global warming for the past 18 years. Those are the data. The global warming alarmists don’t like these data, they are inconvenient to their narrative. But facts and evidence matters.”</blockquote><blockquote></blockquote>
What Science Says: Satellite data, ground-based weather station data, and sea-based buoy data all show a steady warming trend over the long term.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/12/10/3729732/ted-cruz-and-science-have-a-rocky-relationship/

stromboli

A supposed man of god either wildly misinformed or an abject liar. I go with the latter.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: stromboli on December 11, 2015, 11:27:58 AM
A supposed man of god either wildly misinformed or an abject liar. I go with the latter.
It's the same old right-wing revisionism: don't let the facts get in the way of the official narrative - we can always just make up new facts, or at least, leave out the ones we don't like.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

josephpalazzo

Most likely he really believes in his shit. That's the scary part.

Unbeliever

Yeah, more likely both.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

widdershins

These people look up information on any given subject with an agenda.  He's likely willingly wildly misinformed.  I doubt he outright knows he's lying.  He simply doesn't trust any source which disagrees with his pre-drawn conclusion and implicitly trusts any source which agrees with him wholeheartedly.  So, when he's looking up information on the subject the only information he actually looks at and believes is the information that supports the belief he already had to begin with.  If it "sounds" reasonable, he simply assumes that it's true because doing so is convenient.  Likely he doesn't even realize he's doing it.
This sentence is a lie...

Brian37

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Draconic Aiur

Valigarmander

"The sea level's rising? If global warming is true the oceans should've evaporated by now! Goddamn libtards."

drunkenshoe

"It doesn’t matter than 97 percent of scientists agree about climate change, because 97 percent of scientists said the sun rotated around the earth in the 1600s"

I loled at "...Challenged Science..." Good title. :lol:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp