Resistance To Last Resort Antibiotic Now Spread Across The Globe

Started by stromboli, December 07, 2015, 10:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

@baruch; nobody said shit about science fiction, so once again you are extrapolating from your own interpretation, not mine.

There are other ways to combat bacteria and so on including ultraviolet light- used to purify water- and other approaches yet tried. I have a lot of faith in human ingenuity. It has worked before, it can work again. Given a serious enough problem, we have come up with solutions. Survival of the species is a fairly strong incentive.

SGOS

I have that faith too.  The biggest problem is the time it takes to create a new effective drug.  In the case of a global pandemic, a lot of death can occur before a control can be found and utilized.  My hope is that this threat of pandemic will turn out to be a bigger scare than a reality.  This has occurred enough times in my recent past to suggest this particular one might be the same.  But evolution works to the advantage of all species, including bacteria.  It's very "inventive" and comes up with surprising ways for any species, including bacterial species to survive, often at the expense of others.

Baruch

Quote from: TomFoolery on December 08, 2015, 09:12:58 AM
Well, yes and no. Antibiotics aren't money makers for pharmaceutical companies. What company wants to invent a product that costs potentially billions in research and development that works best when it's used sparingly? Congress has tried sparking interest by offering financial incentives, but the pace of antibiotic development is slower than it should be. As Dr. Dennis Maki once famously indicated the problem isn't the antibiotics, it's us, when he said, "The development of new antibiotics without having mechanisms to insure their appropriate use is much like supplying your alcoholic patients with a finer brandy."

Capitalism and medicine don't mix ... but Fox News bots will never understand that.  Free medicine for all ... is beyond affordability ... but PBS bots will never understand that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 08, 2015, 12:49:25 PM
I have that faith too.  The biggest problem is the time it takes to create a new effective drug.  In the case of a global pandemic, a lot of death can occur before a control can be found and utilized.  My hope is that this threat of pandemic will turn out to be a bigger scare than a reality.  This has occurred enough times in my recent past to suggest this particular one might be the same.  But evolution works to the advantage of all species, including bacteria.  It's very "inventive" and comes up with surprising ways for any species, including bacterial species to survive, often at the expense of others.

Correct ... nature works out things ... but not necessarily one where humans survive ... or where symbiosis or mutualism is superior to parasitism.  the Aids virus is a very stupid virus, because it kills its victims ... example of stupid creationism.  The common cold is a very smart virus, because it doesn't kill its victims.  Random mutation can go either way, it usually produces creatures less adapted, not more adapted.  More adapted species occur over much longer time scales.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: TomFoolery on December 08, 2015, 09:12:58 AM
Well, yes and no. Antibiotics aren't money makers for pharmaceutical companies. What company wants to invent a product that costs potentially billions in research and development that works best when it's used sparingly? Congress has tried sparking interest by offering financial incentives, but the pace of antibiotic development is slower than it should be. As Dr. Dennis Maki once famously indicated the problem isn't the antibiotics, it's us, when he said, "The development of new antibiotics without having mechanisms to insure their appropriate use is much like supplying your alcoholic patients with a finer brandy."
My company does.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

dtq123

Quote from: Mermaid on December 09, 2015, 06:46:14 PM
My company does.
Skype call. Now. I want to work in your job!

(You don't have to Call... just tell us a bit more some time. And no I will not take your job away from you.)

:3
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"