Ye Greate US Mass Shooting thread

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, December 02, 2015, 06:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 03, 2015, 01:02:20 AM
Here's a lovely (presumably NRA-sponsored) post about this:

Be afraid.  Buy a gun.  Be afraid.  If you don't have a gun, you're not safe.  Be afraid.
NRA: "More guns make things better, always, forever and without exception."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on December 03, 2015, 01:31:02 AM
Ya know, I'm never going to condone a mass shooting, or any shooting, anytime or anywhere. This tips me over pissed off every single incident. But blaming every gun owner everywhere, every time it ever happens? It's asinine, and a useless blanket statement every single time you say it.

It's not the guns.

Nobody wants my over/under Cowboy or my 22 single six to shoot up a mess of folks, "because it's Wednesday". Come the fuck on. !!??

Yes, I will insure them at a reasonable, non-corporatist rate, sure! They can already be traced back to me should they ever get used.

But will they? Any gun owner reading will agree, no they won't. Not my girlie shit. But assault rifles? Anything marked as "police issue"? Why the FUCK are these guns so easy to get?

And it screams the question, why are they so easy for anyone to get? I like Sanders' New England based ideas on gun control;
http://feelthebern.org/bernie-sanders-on-gun-policy/

I, also, believe in the middle ground still, and that we can work together to regulate some kind of semblance of order that doesn't include extremism on either side.

(edited for clarification)
Nice post. But posting it in this forum will only find the deafest of ears. Shame that.

Also an FYI, some of the mods will yell at you for disagreeing with them if you post that sort of thing too much in these threads. So keep this sort of rational reasonable shit to a minimum unless you want to get smacked.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

I've been a shooter and an owner since 1965, as well as doing 20 years in the USN with a wee bit of trigger time during that stint. I believe we have too damn many guns in this country. Sorry if that blows anybody's stereotyping.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

The reason for public assault weapons ... is because the Democrats are going to kill and eat the Republicans for watching Fox News truthiness ... so the Republicans need to protect themselves, because the police are a bunch of Marxist goons ... bwahaha

When I was young, it was illegal to have these weapons, and it was enforced.  But then the sheriff departments went Dukes of Hazard on us!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

TomFoolery

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on December 03, 2015, 01:31:02 AM
It's not the guns.

I agree. It isn't the guns. It's the gun culture. It's the poor state of mental healthcare. It's the lobbyists who act like any sort of paperwork required to obtain a firearm is a violation of someone's Constitutional rights. It isn't the guns. It's the way we worship guns.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Atheon

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 03, 2015, 03:13:35 AM
If guns are banned, how do they shoot bad guys with guns?

Checkmate, liberal gun-yankers.
Guns are banned so it's extremely difficult for bad guys to get guns. They actually enforce these laws, you know, and possession of a gun is a serious crime here. There are very specific exceptions: Aboriginals can hunt with rifles, but the guns must be registered and kept at the police station. There are shooting clubs, but the guns are kept on club premises. Most men are trained in gun use during their military service, but they can't keep the guns at home.

Cops, however, do have guns, and they CAN shoot bad guys.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Follow up question:  how does it feel to live in a far-left dystopia where tyrannical government gun regulations infringe upon individual rights to bear arms however they please?  :P

Atheon

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 03, 2015, 10:44:14 AM
Follow up question:  how does it feel to live in a far-left dystopia where tyrannical government gun regulations infringe upon individual rights to bear arms however they please?  :P
It's awesome, man!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 03, 2015, 06:26:44 AM
Terrorism is a tool used by a weaker opponent against a stronger one to effect political change. (IIRC the term was coined in relation to the Algerian independence movement after WWII.) The one in San Bernardino appears to be a grudge shooting. The "environmental health engineer" (aka "janitor") may have peaked his anger about something or other and went over the edge.

Must have been pretty bad to involve 3 people, body armor, sidearms and assault rifles. Strikes me as a bit more than a grudge.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on December 03, 2015, 11:22:16 AM
Must have been pretty bad to involve 3 people, body armor, sidearms and assault rifles. Strikes me as a bit more than a grudge.
Don't forget the pipebombs. They were probably prepared in advance. Making bomb quickly is a good way to kill yourself.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 03, 2015, 10:44:14 AM

Far-right dystopias are so much better!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

TomFoolery

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 03, 2015, 01:29:41 PM
Love this:

I thought of Anthony Jeselnik. He raised some rather prickly but interesting points about social media and tragedy. While I don't see the point in making jokes about tragedy, I sort of agree that social media and tragedy make interesting bedfellows. In a standup routine ironically named "Thoughts and Prayers," he said:

“When you make a joke on Twitter the day of a tragedy, it seems like you’re making fun of the victims, and that’s wrong. But that’s not what I’m doing. Because you see, the day of a tragedy, victims are not on Twitter. Am I wrong? Tell me I’m wrong. The day of a tragedy, victims have got victim shit to do. No one is ever putting on a tourniquet asking ‘Hey, are we trending? This is who I’m making fun of, when I make a joke on Twitter the day of a tragedy. The people who see something horrible happen in the world and they run onto the Internet. And they run to their social media: Facebook, Twitter, whatever they got. And they all write down the exact same thing: ‘My thoughts and prayers…’ Do you know what that’s worth? Fucking nothing. Fucking less than nothing. You are not giving any of your time, your money, or even your compassion. All you are doing is saying ‘Don’t forget about me today.’ ‘Lots of crazy distractions in the news, but don’t forget how sad I am.’ Those people are worthless and deserve to be made fun of. They’re like a wedding photographer who takes only selfies.”
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

josephpalazzo

Ok, I'm going to go ahead of the authorities and call this a terrorist attack.  The name "Farouk", went to Saudi Arabia, came back with a wife of Pakistani origin, pipe bombs at home. Meh, if t isn't a terrorist attack, I will eat my words...

pr126

This was workplace violence.

If your work is jihad.