Ye Greate US Mass Shooting thread

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, December 02, 2015, 06:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

There's so bloody many of them, we wouldn't want to clog up the whole forum....

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/multiple-victims-california-mass-shooting-203411659.html?vp=1#EAiTXu1

QuoteAt Least 14 Dead After California Shooting

At least 14 people are dead after up to three suspects opened fire at a social services centre in southern California, police say.
San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said another 14 were injured in the attack in the city, about 60 miles (96km) east of Los Angeles.

He said the suspects were armed with "long guns" in the assault, which lasted for "several minutes" at the Inland Regional Center, a facility for people with disabilities.
"They came prepared to do what they did as if they were on a mission," Chief Burguan told reporters.
Up to three men in military gear carried out the attack, San Bernardino Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Teri Adams told Sky News.
The suspects are believed to have fled in a black SUV.
A bomb squad has been sent to look into a suspicious device left in the building.
No arrests have been made.
An FBI spokesman told a news conference: "We do not know if this is a terrorist incident."
Police are interviewing witnesses who reportedly saw men changing clothes near the scene of the shooting, which is along a main road and next to a golf course and recreation centre.
Terry Petit fought back tears as he said he had received texts from his daughter saying she was hiding after gunfire erupted at the facility.
Mr Petit read a message to reporters outside the Inland Regional Center that said: "People shot.
"In the office waiting for cops. Pray for us. I am locked in an office."
Triage units have been set up near the scene, with some people seen being wheeled away on gurneys.
Television images showed people being evacuated from the building with their arms raised.
US President Barack Obama and California Governor Jerry Brown were being briefed on the incident.
"We have a pattern now of mass shootings that has no parallel anywhere else in the world," Mr Obama told CBS News.

Here we f*cking go again.

INB4 the NRA: "More guns would've been better"

An FBI spokesman told a news conference: "We do not know if this is a terrorist incident." - Ermm..... is there actually a definition of what constitutes a 'terrorist attack' and what doesn't?  I'm unsure how US authorities define them.  I'm not being snarky here, I was just wondering how a decision is made (excepting the usual lulz about colour, Arab names etc.)

TomFoolery

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on December 02, 2015, 06:03:49 PM
The number of gun owners are declining, but gun sales are going up. Meanwhile, mass shootings are increasing, and the number of victims in each is also going up. That would lead me to believe that the "more guns" argument only works if you're selling them to the right people, you know, ones who would use them to stop mass shootings, not initiate them. But you know how it is, background checks/permits/mental health screenings/mandatory training = infringing on sacred rights. After all, the right to own a gun even if you're mentally ill trumps someone else's right to not have bullet holes in put in their bodies.

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on December 02, 2015, 06:03:49 PMAn FBI spokesman told a news conference: "We do not know if this is a terrorist incident." - Ermm..... is there actually a definition of what constitutes a 'terrorist attack' and what doesn't?  I'm unsure how US authorities define them.  I'm not being snarky here, I was just wondering how a decision is made (excepting the usual lulz about colour, Arab names etc.)
I agree. I've found that when people get armed to the teeth and start shooting at random in public there's usually some ideology behind it and not, "Hey, I'm bored, it's Wednesday, let's go down to the store and mow some people down. We'll get Taco Bell afterward."
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

The Skeletal Atheist

There's so bloody many of them, we wouldn't want to clog up the whole forum....

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/multiple-victims-california-mass-shooting-203411659.html?vp=1#EAiTXu1

Here we f*cking go again.

An FBI spokesman told a news conference: "We do not know if this is a terrorist incident." - Ermm..... is there actually a definition of what constitutes a 'terrorist attack' and what doesn't?  I'm unsure how US authorities define them.  I'm not being snarky here, I was just wondering how a decision is made (excepting the usual lulz about colour, Arab names etc.)
Motive is what constitutes a terrorist attack. Someone killing people simply to murder may terrorize the local populace, but it's not considered terrorism. A terrorist has political and or religious goals, while a spree killer does not. 
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

josephpalazzo

I'm surprised that certain people are surprised by this. There is an estimate of 300 million guns in the hands of who knows what. What's to expect... except lots of shootings.

aitm

Quote from: josephpalazzo on December 02, 2015, 06:38:57 PM
. What's to expect... except lots of shootings.

especially when schmucks with no or little life see the notoriety that these previous scum bags get by the media who are determined to go into great detail of the persons life so that their misery can commiserate with others.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

pr126

Father of Calif. shooting suspect speaks out
Quote“I haven’t heard anything,” the elder Syed Farook told the Daily News. “He was very religious. He would go to work, come back, go to pray, come back. He’s Muslim.”

Hydra009

Here's a lovely (presumably NRA-sponsored) post about this:

QuoteMass shootings are a monthly occurrence in the U.S today there are over 15 dead and 20 wounded in the most outlawed state to own a firearm in this country. Criminals do not follow the laws you create to make your utopia you think can exist. YOU are responsible for your own security and YOU alone. Are you ready to take the fight to violence when it tries to find you ?

Be afraid.  Buy a gun.  Be afraid.  If you don't have a gun, you're not safe.  Be afraid.

PickelledEggs

I don't even know what to say anymore....

This is.... tiring.... why can't this just stop?

JBCuzISaidSo

Ya know, I'm never going to condone a mass shooting, or any shooting, anytime or anywhere. This tips me over pissed off every single incident. But blaming every gun owner everywhere, every time it ever happens? It's asinine, and a useless blanket statement every single time you say it.

It's not the guns.

Nobody wants my over/under Cowboy or my 22 single six to shoot up a mess of folks, "because it's Wednesday". Come the fuck on. !!??

Yes, I will insure them at a reasonable, non-corporatist rate, sure! They can already be traced back to me should they ever get used.

But will they? Any gun owner reading will agree, no they won't. Not my girlie shit. But assault rifles? Anything marked as "police issue"? Why the FUCK are these guns so easy to get?

And it screams the question, why are they so easy for anyone to get? I like Sanders' New England based ideas on gun control;
http://feelthebern.org/bernie-sanders-on-gun-policy/

Quote“Folks who do not like guns [are] fine. But we have millions of people who are gun owners in this country â€" 99.9 percent of those people obey the law. I want to see real, serious debate and action on guns, but it is not going to take place if we simply have extreme positions on both sides. I think I can bring us to the middle.”

I, also, believe in the middle ground still, and that we can work together to regulate some kind of semblance of order that doesn't include extremism on either side.

(edited for clarification)
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Atheon

Mass shootings are practically non-existent in Taiwan.

Hey look: guns are banned in Taiwan.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on December 03, 2015, 03:08:02 AM
Mass shootings are practically non-existent in Taiwan.

Hey look: guns are banned in Taiwan.
If guns are banned, how do they shoot bad guys with guns?

Checkmate, liberal gun-yankers.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on December 02, 2015, 06:21:30 PM
Motive is what constitutes a terrorist attack. Someone killing people simply to murder may terrorize the local populace, but it's not considered terrorism. A terrorist has political and or religious goals, while a spree killer does not. 

Mmm... that makes sense to me.  Thanks. I assume that there are subdivisions involved depending on which brand of religion or politics is involved, the spin required, and whether people choose to see it or not.  The most recent example would be the meme 'Muslim shooter=Muslim terrorist, Christian shooter=mentally ill' and all similar Facebook shizzle.

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 02, 2015, 06:33:45 PM
http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2015

Fuck me.  That's appalling....

Gawdzilla Sama

Terrorism is a tool used by a weaker opponent against a stronger one to effect political change. (IIRC the term was coined in relation to the Algerian independence movement after WWII.) The one in San Bernardino appears to be a grudge shooting. The "environmental health engineer" (aka "janitor") may have peaked his anger about something or other and went over the edge.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers