News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

book idea(s)

Started by Mr.Obvious, November 29, 2015, 06:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

So, one of my hobbies is to write. Poetry, (short)stories, fanfiction and once a play. They aren't good, I'll be the first to admit, but I like to keep trying and improving so that I can go from bad to average and, dare I hope one day perhaps 'okay'. However, it can be very hard to come up with a good premise to a story.

I have a prompt in my mind and would like to hear some honest feedback on it. Some pointers, advice, warnings, what-have-you, ... If others here have a similar drive and similar problems, perhaps they can post their ideas here too, and get some new insights on them. If you simply want to post some prompts for others, fine too. (Though there is a subreddit for that :p )

So here's my latest idea:
In the distant future, the cloning-procedure has been perfected. Cloning human beings perfectly is now completely possible. Even from old, ill-kept samples of DNA. However, this raises concerns and dillema's both on juridical level and on morality. On the eve of the UN's summit to discuss the matter, the pope flies over to the institute in which the only functional cloning aparatus resides. There he holds a speech as to why the RCC dissaproves of this abomination unto God. However, half-way through his speech a christian extremist sect carries out a viscious attack in which they kidnap not only the pope but also the scientists responsible for developping the cloning-machinery and -process inside the institute. Their one demand? The true Holy Lance said to reside deep bellow the Vatican and which contains the blood of Christ. Convinced that by cloning a human being from it, they can bring back Jesus and thus fullfill the prophecy and bring about the end of days.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

aitm

sounds like a good story, my ending would be the sect fights its way into the bowels of the vatican to find nothing but gold stored there and evidence of its collection merely to pay off those who support it. A vast personal piggy bank.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

I have a tremendous idea for a story (don't we all) but i ain't giving it out unless I get a cut.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

widdershins

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 29, 2015, 06:53:57 AM
So, one of my hobbies is to write. Poetry, (short)stories, fanfiction and once a play. They aren't good, I'll be the first to admit, but I like to keep trying and improving so that I can go from bad to average and, dare I hope one day perhaps 'okay'. However, it can be very hard to come up with a good premise to a story.

I have a prompt in my mind and would like to hear some honest feedback on it. Some pointers, advice, warnings, what-have-you, ... If others here have a similar drive and similar problems, perhaps they can post their ideas here too, and get some new insights on them. If you simply want to post some prompts for others, fine too. (Though there is a subreddit for that :p )

So here's my latest idea:
In the distant future, the cloning-procedure has been perfected. Cloning human beings perfectly is now completely possible. Even from old, ill-kept samples of DNA. However, this raises concerns and dillema's both on juridical level and on morality. On the eve of the UN's summit to discuss the matter, the pope flies over to the institute in which the only functional cloning aparatus resides. There he holds a speech as to why the RCC dissaproves of this abomination unto God. However, half-way through his speech a christian extremist sect carries out a viscious attack in which they kidnap not only the pope but also the scientists responsible for developping the cloning-machinery and -process inside the institute. Their one demand? The true Holy Lance said to reside deep bellow the Vatican and which contains the blood of Christ. Convinced that by cloning a human being from it, they can bring back Jesus and thus fullfill the prophecy and bring about the end of days.
Simpson's did it...I mean, that definitely sounds interesting.  You should go all Shyamalan on the ending where they do the clone, but it's a woman or something.  Or maybe a super, super gay Jesus.  Oh, or one where he immediately admonishes the antagonists for their spiteful actions.  One change I would make from the Shyamalan motif, though, make the first 99% of the story good too, not just the ending.
This sentence is a lie...

SGOS

The plot is certainly good enough for a best seller.  Now all that's left is the actual execution of the project.  I like the ending.