Did Marcion edit the epistles of Paul?

Started by Daomi, November 27, 2015, 09:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daomi

I heard someone say this on the net.
Btw, if nobody knows who this guy is, allow me to explain.

Basically Christianity was new and was more or less not 100% developed to what this religion should be yet, Marcion basically concluded that the old testament God was evil. While the new testament God was good, making the conflicts of having two gods made it hard to accept by Christians at the time. In his canon he only had "Luke and Epistles of Paul" rest was basically just rejected. It seems he actually had a huge influence for awhile before he got excommunicated from the church.

But some have suggested that he edited epistles of paul. I am not sure if that is correct. I know the reason he chose the Gospel of Luke was because it had the least jewish influence according to him.

Baruch

Yes and no.  Your basic description of Marcion is correct.  And that the Epistles of Paul (as well as the other books that eventually made it into the NT) were edited (the versions we have inherited).  But I don't think anyone knows who edited them.  The challenge of Marcion was essential for the development of an "orthodox" pre-Constantinian church, because it led to the eventual forming of a canon of scripture.  There were lots of things considered scripture in those days in the  early congregations.  But basically Marcion was reacting to the result of the final Jewish-Roman war of Bar Kochba ... and had slid into an anti-semitic version of Paulinism.  He went "heretic" in 144 CE, a few years after that war.  His version of Luke and Pauline epistles were edited by him ... but those aren't the versions used by his opponents, the ones we have inherited.  The Marcion canon was the first official list of books, by a schismatic, and in reaction to that the orthodox church produced the Moratorian canon around 170 CE.  The official canon continued to be disputed for another 250 years.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.