HUD Smoke-Free Proposal - Vanishing Liberty for Low-Income Americans

Started by Solomon Zorn, November 25, 2015, 09:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on December 22, 2015, 09:32:31 AM
I smoke cigars. And tobacco smell is far less offensive than body odor. Even to a non-smoker, generally.
I can tolerate body odor. I have to leave the room when I smell tobacco. All non-smokers I know are the same way.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

doorknob

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 22, 2015, 09:21:20 AM
I quit smoking cold turkey in 1988. It was harder than kicking the over-enthusiastic pain relief program the Navy got me on back in 1972, but I was ready and determined to quit. Two weeks of diminishing withdrawal symptoms and I was over the hump. Today that saves me about $60/week. Plus I wouldn't be with my current wife if I smoked.

Nobody can quit smoking until they want to, not even with the chemical aids that make it a lot easier today. The only reason people smoke now is because they want to keep smoking.

well not to be mean but it's not that easy for every one. I quit also cold turkey but that's only because they ruined my favorite cigarette. It was easy for me to quit after that because I no longer liked the cigarettes. But for other people with addictive personalities they can not just quit with out help. Some times not even then either.

I also want to note that cigarettes have a lot more chemicals in them today that they did not have back then. Many of them designed to make the cigarettes even more addictive than before.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on December 22, 2015, 09:34:57 AM
I have also quit smoking, more than once, so I also understand how hard it is.
Chemical aids cost money and require additional resources like transportation and medical care. Cigarette companies specifically target low income people and strategize to keep them addicted.
It's very easy to judge people until you are in their shoes.
Wow, I didn't know I was that well off.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: doorknob on December 22, 2015, 10:28:50 AM
well not to be mean but it's not that easy for every one.
I never said it was easy. I just said I wanted it more than I wanted to keep smoking.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on December 22, 2015, 09:34:57 AM

Chemical aids cost money and require additional resources like transportation and medical care. 
They can afford to buy cigarettes but not stop-smoking aids? Got some hard numbers to support that?
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on December 22, 2015, 09:32:31 AM
I smoke cigars. And tobacco smell is far less offensive than body odor. Even to a non-smoker, generally.
And cigars smell like smoldering sweat socks. I doubt this is news to  you.
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 22, 2015, 11:05:49 AM
Wow, I didn't know I was that well off.
Come on. Don't be obtuse. I am not trying to be adversarial, so please try not to get defensive about it.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 22, 2015, 11:12:36 AM
They can afford to buy cigarettes but not stop-smoking aids? Got some hard numbers to support that?
That isn't what I said.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 22, 2015, 11:20:46 AM
And cigars smell like smoldering sweat socks. I doubt this is news to  you.

Agree with everything you've posted. I hate the stink of cigars. Sit on watch for six hours with a CPO with a big fat Cuban stogie (bought in Scotland) and go away fucking nauseous after. I smoked for a few years, but apparently don't have an addictive personality. Never been addicted to anything.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on December 22, 2015, 11:53:50 AM
Come on. Don't be obtuse. I am not trying to be adversarial, so please try not to get defensive about it.
Then be less condescending to avoid confusion, please.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on December 22, 2015, 11:54:16 AM
That isn't what I said.
You gave an EXCUSE for not using stop-smoking aids. Addicts use excuses to avoid facing up to the problem. (I don't know or care if you smoke, that's a general observation.)
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 22, 2015, 12:11:26 PM
Then be less condescending to avoid confusion, please.
I don't think we disagree fundamentally, smoking is terrible, but you seem to want to pick a fight. I don't mean to be condescending, what did I say that makes me seem that way?

My point: It's not fair to put judgments on people you don't know. That's all my message is.

I didn't give any excuse for anything. Just trying to present a different angle. Besides all of that, not everyone WANTS to quit smoking. Not everyone will do what you think they should do. People judge each other way too much IMO and it results in so many larger problems.

I do not smoke. I did when I was younger, I quit about 20 years ago for the last time.

Gawdzilla Sama

"It's very easy to judge people until you are in their shoes."

What the fuck do you know about my shoes?
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 22, 2015, 12:44:37 PM
"It's very easy to judge people until you are in their shoes."

What the fuck do you know about my shoes?
Haha.  :razz: