What if there is a God and that God is perfect?...

Started by bfiddy100, November 25, 2015, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 10:10:05 PM
Someone pick a verse. Let read it together. We can see if a believe and non believe come up with the same conclusion.

I'll bite.

Quote from: 1 Samuel 15:3Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

I think this one means your god is a sociopathic psychopath, and I wouldn't bend my knee to him even if he was the creator of the universe because I didn't get my morality from religion.

What's your take?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

g2perk

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 17, 2016, 10:42:40 PM
Prove it.  Give me on thing that is proven by the bible.
Wisdom will save you also from the adulterous woman, from the wayward woman with her seductive words,
Proverbs 2:16 NIV
http://bible.com/111/pro.2.16.NIV

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

g2perk

Someone pick a verse. Let read it together. We can see if a believe and non believe come up with the same conclusion.

Is that false..

g2perk

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 17, 2016, 10:49:33 PM
I'll bite.

I think this one means your god is a sociopathic psychopath, and I wouldn't bend my knee to him even if he was the creator of the universe because I didn't get my morality from religion.

What's your take?
What part is not true?

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 10:52:38 PM
What part is not true?

Is English not your first language, or were you just home schooled? The conversation was about how different people interpret the Bible in different ways. You said pick a passage. I did, and I gave you my take on it. What is your's?

g2perk

It means what it says. Really.

Mr.Obvious

The point I meant by that is that not only are the holy texts your read translations of translations and copies of copies of copies so that 'original texts' may be lost or altered. On top of that, they were written in a time and place completely different from our own. If you just look at a foreign film from nowadays, chances are you won't get it completely because you miss the full context of the culture in which the film was made. Now imagine thousands and thousands of years added to that. All manner of references, (poetic) wordplay and metaphors could be going over our head. Even now ancient texgts are filled to the brim with stuff some say you must take metaphorically, others say you must take literally: It's a dividing mess.
And finally, the most important reason why everyone who reads holy texts as a whole must necessarily misinterpret the original text is that they are filled with contradictions and contradictory rules.

Also... Did you above quote yourself, when you said "Is that false.."?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 17, 2016, 10:49:33 PM
I'll bite.

What's your take?

Sociopathic psychopath? That makes little sense. Sometimes I feel like people just use the words "sociopath" and "psychopath" as pejoratives whilst not understanding the psychiatric definition of those terms.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 18, 2016, 10:15:15 AM
Sociopathic psychopath? That makes little sense. Sometimes I feel like people just use the words "sociopath" and "psychopath" as pejoratives whilst not understanding the psychiatric definition of those terms.

Sociopath: a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

Psychopath: a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior.

Used together we have extreme antisocial behavior, lack of conscience and violent behavior. Sounds like the god of the Old Testament to me.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 18, 2016, 10:50:18 AM
Sociopath: a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

Psychopath: a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior.

Used together we have extreme antisocial behavior, lack of conscience and violent behavior. Sounds like the god of the Old Testament to me.

Not quite your right about the definition of sociopath, but wrong about the definition of psychopath.

A psychopath is someone who has impaired emotions, they are incapable of feeling. These would lead to antisocial tendencies and a lack of conscience, no?

Donald Trump is often called a sociopath and a psychopath (I hate Trump but that's just ignorant). He may be an egotistical imbecile but I disagree.

PopeyesPappy

I don't know Delta. Perhaps you are a mental health professional up on the current medical usage of the terms, but the definitions I listed are the first thing that comes up when you Google the definitions. They are common usage.

Webster's gives the following definition for psychopath.

Simple Definition of psychopath
: a person who is mentally ill, who does not care about other people, and who is usually dangerous or violent

A medical professional might not be happy with the way I used the words but given the definitions listed they accurately depicted the idea I was trying to communicate.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 18, 2016, 10:21:22 PM
I don't know Delta. Perhaps you are a mental health professional up on the current medical usage of the terms, but the definitions I listed are the first thing that comes up when you Google the definitions. They are common usage.

Webster's gives the following definition for psychopath.

Simple Definition of psychopath
: a person who is mentally ill, who does not care about other people, and who is usually dangerous or violent

A medical professional might not be happy with the way I used the words but given the definitions listed they accurately depicted the idea I was trying to communicate.

Dictionaries don't always provide medical definitions. My source is my interpretation of diagnostic manuals but let's not get hung up of technicalities I just wanting to make a point about the misuse and overuse of psychiatric terms.

Duncle

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 18, 2016, 11:08:03 PM
Dictionaries don't always provide medical definitions. My source is my interpretation of diagnostic manuals but let's not get hung up of technicalities I just wanting to make a point about the misuse and overuse of psychiatric terms.
Highlighting added

Really? Thats strange, because in Psychiatry the preferred term is "Anti-Social Personality Disorder". "Sociopath" and "Psychopath" are not medical terms, and do not appear in DSM-V, the standard diagnostic manual used by psychiatrists worldwide.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Duncle on August 21, 2016, 10:15:28 AM
Highlighting added

Really? Thats strange, because in Psychiatry the preferred term is "Anti-Social Personality Disorder". "Sociopath" and "Psychopath" are not medical terms, and do not appear in DSM-V, the standard diagnostic manual used by psychiatrists worldwide.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/sociopath-psychopath-difference

They're mutually exclusive.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on November 26, 2015, 09:24:35 PM
Of course, ANY perfect god would allow us to exist. Do you not understand what perfect means? Punishing anything for a gazillion billion years for a one day fuck up is not what a perfect god does, it is what a two year old does because they are a fucking two year old with no fucking sense.

Well, wouldn't we all just be in some sort of perrfect forever-unchanging utter wond...

Never mind, sounds kind of hellish...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!