What if there is a God and that God is perfect?...

Started by bfiddy100, November 25, 2015, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfiddy100

Question for y'all.  If a perfect God exists do you think that God would send you to a place like hell (i.e., punish you) or a place like heaven (i.e., reward you) based on the way you've lived your life?

TomFoolery

Quote from: bfiddy100 on November 25, 2015, 09:01:40 PM
...based on the way you've lived your life?

I think this is the part of the equation no one can decide on.

In what way are we supposed to live our life to please God? You'll get answers that range from feeding the hungry to bombing abortion clinics, and each person who holds that belief holds it sincerely.

Also, does it work on some sort of points system? The good you do just has to outweigh the bad?

If you do bad, do the Catholics have it right and all you need to do is say sorry? Or do the Baptists have it right and the bad doesn't matter and all you need to do is believe in Jesus?

And no, I don't think God would send me to Hell and let Satan punish me for not believing in God. That has never made sense to me. If Satan hates God and I'm supposed to be punished for not doing right by God, wouldn't Satan reward me?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

Quote from: bfiddy100 on November 25, 2015, 09:01:40 PM
Question for y'all.  If a perfect God exists do you think that God would send you to a place like hell (i.e., punish you) or a place like heaven (i.e., reward you) based on the way you've lived your life?

G-d isn't perfect (that is clear in Genesis 1 thru Noah).  But speaking generically, there is no difference between heaven and hell, and I am already here ... in heaven/hell aka the present ... but I don't have any memory of being sent here.  Again generically, G-d is perfect ... a perfect monster.  Lots of people get rewards and punishments here and now ... but I don't know that any of it comes from G-d ... it mostly comes from other people aka shit monkeys.  Got poo?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

bfiddy100

Interesting reply, TomFoolery. 

One thing that I think is important to consider is that you would certainly expect this God to always do what is right...since He is perfect.  Therefore, if it is wrong to send you to a place like hell you would expect Him not to do that.  But that reveals that we expect a perfect God to act like it's never good to do wrong.  So I think that shows us the standard we expect God to have if He is perfect.  If we have done anything that we knew was wrong then a perfect God must punish us, since to reward us would be to act like it is sometimes good to do wrong, which a perfect God could never do.  Agree?

aitm

IF a god exists, then yes, all life would have a wonderful fulfilling afterlife…you, me, bunny rabbits, tree frogs, mosquitos…all life. The horrible, horrendous POS that the babble presents does not exist, thankfully, what a monstrous clusterfuck that thing is. But yes, if a real god existed, perhaps…of course the idea that it is perfect is a rather dappled red apple. Nice of us to imagine such a thing just for our fragile little egos to have, but the reality…meh.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

bfiddy100

Quote from: aitm on November 25, 2015, 09:44:42 PM
IF a god exists, then yes, all life would have a wonderful fulfilling afterlife…you, me, bunny rabbits, tree frogs, mosquitos…all life. The horrible, horrendous POS that the babble presents does not exist, thankfully, what a monstrous clusterfuck that thing is. But yes, if a real god existed, perhaps…of course the idea that it is perfect is a rather dappled red apple. Nice of us to imagine such a thing just for our fragile little egos to have, but the reality…meh.

Hmmm, all life?  Do you really think a perfect God would/should give members of ISIS a wonderful fulfilling afterlife?

aitm

Quote from: bfiddy100 on November 25, 2015, 10:07:25 PM
Hmmm, all life?  Do you really think a perfect God would/should give members of ISIS a wonderful fulfilling afterlife?

maybe "your" perfect god would not. "My" perfect god would not allow such creatures as ISIS to exist in the first place. I guess we have different versions of what a REAL god is eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solomon Zorn

Bfiddy said:
QuoteIf we have done anything that we knew was wrong then a perfect God must punish us, since to reward us would be to act like it is sometimes good to do wrong, which a perfect God could never do.  Agree?
Disagree.

Reward and punishment is a primitive way for humans to control each other. What about giving up his mysterious invisibility, and communicating directly with us the information we require?

And who says a "perfect" God has need of our compliance with his will? Or that he views "good" and "evil" as priorities in the universe?

But there are so many reasons God is NOT perfect, that your point is moot.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: bfiddy100 on November 25, 2015, 09:40:45 PM
Interesting reply, TomFoolery. 

One thing that I think is important to consider is that you would certainly expect this God to always do what is right...since He is perfect.  Therefore, if it is wrong to send you to a place like hell you would expect Him not to do that.  But that reveals that we expect a perfect God to act like it's never good to do wrong.  So I think that shows us the standard we expect God to have if He is perfect.  If we have done anything that we knew was wrong then a perfect God must punish us, since to reward us would be to act like it is sometimes good to do wrong, which a perfect God could never do.  Agree?

It is, in my book, inherently wrong to punishment anyone eternally for a finite crime.
And if god was perfect, there would be no need for punishment. (I can elaborate later if you'd like, after work. Let me know.)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

peacewithoutgod

If there is a God, and that God really is perfect, then

1. He would have done a better job of creating the earth, and the system by which life evolves - and then he would not have wasted time sitting back and watching all the shit that ever happened. There would have been no need for a God which really could and did create it all himself to wait for evolution.

2. Being the perfect and all-powerful creator of everything, he would have actually created us all, and then he would have made us perfect too - otherwise, he himself could not be called perfect. Therefore, he never would have to punish any of us. When you have to resort to that with your own creation, you ain't no God, you're just a shithead!

If you're talking about a perfect god who did not create us, but has the right to judge us, well no he doesn't unless he answers to a greater god, and it would not be one which is all-perfect and all-powerful because no such God would need to hire a flunkie to do his work for him.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Sal1981

When did you stop  beating your wife?

Sorry, but your question presumes a whole lot in OP.

Hakurei Reimu

If the perfect god existed, the universe wouldn't look like the work of an office temp with a bad attitude.

Omniscience, omnipotence, omnibenevolence. Choose two.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

bfiddy100

Quote from: aitm on November 25, 2015, 10:15:15 PM
maybe "your" perfect god would not. "My" perfect god would not allow such creatures as ISIS to exist in the first place. I guess we have different versions of what a REAL god is eh?

Would your perfect God allow any of us to exist?  Undoubtedly, we've all done things that we knew were wrong, but we did them anyway because we found them more pleasurable for ourselves than doing what we knew to be right.  If God is perfect then it would seem reasonable that He is merciful.  And it is right for all of the attributes of a perfect God to be expressed.  However, mercy can't be expressed unless someone is in need of mercy.  If people were perfect and never did what they knew was wrong then how would God demonstrate His mercy?  Likewise, how would God demonstrate His perfect anger towards wrongdoing if nobody does wrong?     

bfiddy100

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 26, 2015, 10:26:39 AM
It is, in my book, inherently wrong to punishment anyone eternally for a finite crime.
And if god was perfect, there would be no need for punishment. (I can elaborate later if you'd like, after work. Let me know.)

They aren't finite crimes...they're infinite crimes, which is why the punishment never ends.  But I'm curious why you think a perfect God would never punish anyone.

aitm

Quote from: bfiddy100 on November 26, 2015, 09:11:16 PM
Would your perfect God allow any of us to exist?
Of course, ANY perfect god would allow us to exist. Do you not understand what perfect means? Punishing anything for a gazillion billion years for a one day fuck up is not what a perfect god does, it is what a two year old does because they are a fucking two year old with no fucking sense.