Teen Austrian 'poster girl' reportedly beaten to death for trying to leave Raqqa

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, November 25, 2015, 04:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/isis-teen-austrian-poster-girl-223840097.html#9w8t5JT

QuoteIsis: Teen Austrian 'poster girl' reportedly beaten to death for trying to leave Raqqa

A 17-year-old Austrian girl who went to Syria to join the Islamic State (IS) is reported to have been beaten to death by the group after attempting to flee from the militant group's base in Raqqa. Samra Kesinovic and Sabina Selimovic, both of Bosnian heritage, disappeared from their homes in 2014, leaving a note for their families which read: "Don't look for us. We will serve Allah and we will die for him."
Samra and Sabina travelled to Syria via Turkey after allegedly being brainwashed by Bosnian Islamist preacher Ebu Tejma in Vienna. He denies the claims. Both the girls - then 17 and 15 - married IS fighters soon after their arrival in Raqqa, and were photographed in full burqas carrying Kalashnikovs surrounded by armed men - images used by the terror group to draw other young girls to Syria.

At the time Sabina told Paris Match in a series of Tweets: "Here I can really be free. I can practice my religion. I couldn't do that in Vienna." Sabina was reported dead soon afterwards, apparently during fighting in the city. Samra reportedly wrote to her family soon after arriving saying she wanted to leave because she was sickened by IS brutality, but she was unable to do so.
Earlier this year David Scharia, of the United Nations Security Council's Counter-Terrorism Committee (CTED) said: "We received information just recently about two 15-year-old girls, of Bosnian origin, who left Austria, where they had been living in recent years; and everyone, the families and the intelligence services of the two countries, is looking for them. Both were recruited by Islamic State. One was killed in the fighting in Syria, the other has disappeared."
Now Austrian media sources say Samra was killed when she tried to leave Raqqa, beaten to death by IS thugs. The Austrian government has yet to confirm the reports. Foreign ministry spokesman Thomas Schnöll, said: "We cannot comment on
individual cases."
There are thought to be some 190 Austrians in Syria, many of them having gone to join the so-called Islamic State. Several young British girls have also gone to join the group, including Bethnal Green schoolgirls Kadiza Sultana, Shamima Begum and Amira Abase.

While I feel sorry for their families' loss, what the hell were these girls expecting? A One Direction concert and an appearance from Barbie?  It's ISIS, for fuck's sake.  Someone on FB started whining about the incompleteness of the teenage mind. Well ok, but I have yet to meet a fifteen year old that didn't know what ISIS is, or what they're up to in Syria.  Hopefully, this story will lead to less kids trying to embark on a glory hunt.

EDIT:  deliciously ironic name spotted:  "David Scharia, of the United Nations Security Council's Counter-Terrorism Committee (CTED)..."

Atheon

I don't have much sympathy for those who run off to fight for ISIS. You KNOW they what they do. You KNOW how evil they are. OF COURSE they will enslave you, rape you, abuse you, torture you and kill you. What else do you expect from ISIS????
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I feel bad for them, but at the same time... really, I mean... just... really? The fuck did you expect?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 25, 2015, 08:31:54 PM
I feel bad for them, but at the same time... really, I mean... just... really? The fuck did you expect?

Maybe they were hoping for ... "If it wasn't for those pesky kids, I would have gotten away with the crime and stupid disguise".  I felt sorry for the American girl who got run over in Gaza when she placed herself in front of the bull dozer ... but common sense is not optional.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

TomFoolery

I don't know I would call it sympathy for them, but I sort of understand the mindset.

Young people like rebelling, they think it's poetic to stand up for things, they think war is romantic.

Add immaturity and cognitive dissonance into the mix, and I can definitely see why they went. It's one thing to read about brutality and another thing to witness it. I imagine it's like young girls who read Philippa Gregory novels about medieval monarchs and fantasize about how awesome it would be to be a lady in waiting in King Henry VIII's court. Awesome until you realize you're forced to wear restrictive clothes that choke you, your only function in life is to marry some guy you probably don't know, have his babies (male babies) who are lucky to survive infancy, and everyone you know is constantly dying of shit like smallpox, childbirth, and "fell off a horse." But I shit you not, I bet if there were a time machine, girls would volunteer to do it and they would quickly regret it.

And as for not fully understanding the brutality of ISIS, I get that too. In the Army, you'd see it all the time... these young kids coming in fresh from basic training with this idea that "war is awesome" and "let's kill bad guys" because culture romanticizes it. They have ideas about what it's like: they've seen Saving Private Ryan and probably seen pictures and video in the news about suicide bombings, but the truth is, stuff like that doesn't register the same way as it does in person. It doesn't take long after experiencing actual war and seeing actual casualties for someone's mind to change. Sometimes it makes them love war more, sometimes it makes them hate war. The truth is, you never really can tell what violence like that will do to a person until you expose them to it.

So while I feel like these girls were stupid and I can't really feel sorry for them, I do understand how they could have been drawn to ISIS.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

pr126

If this will make future wannabe jihadi brides to pause to think, then it was not a complete vaste.

Munch

The stupidity levels are through the roof, with so many of these teenagers in the west believing there is something to gain from running off to join isis, ignoring everything the group has done and still causing.

I'm just curious, is there some kind of setup forum Isis members put online to lure stupid teenage westerners to them with promises of eternal bliss and happiness?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

It's odd.  I find it sad, even though their purpose was to serve a group that wants to kill me.  I think it's the part about running away to live a dream, only to find out it's really your worst nightmare, and you can't wake up.  It's the lure of a dream that winds unlucky women up into modern day slavery.  Although, buying into this one, seems a particularly poor show of good judgment.  But the stupid suffer equally with the unlucky forced prostitutes who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up as kidnap victims.

Baruch

I feel sorry for original Nazis, since I didn't have to fight them.  If you chose to be anything at all, in the one life you are given ... and you chose Nazi ... then you really screwed up!  I understand the need to fight certain people, but I don't understand the "need" to demonize them.  I think only demons do that.  You can tell who they are ... they buy deviled ham at the store.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

ISIS has a particular image of themselves that many Muslims, evidently, find attractive. It's no coincidence that a lot of the ISIS fighters you see are quite young, because that sense of purpose that young people often seek is exactly what ISIS targets in their ad campaigns.

It's a shame this girl didn't survive her experience: not only because of the human tragedy, but because she would have been the perfect speaker to warn people what ISIS is really about.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on December 05, 2015, 09:33:59 AM
ISIS has a particular image of themselves that many Muslims, evidently, find attractive. It's no coincidence that a lot of the ISIS fighters you see are quite young, because that sense of purpose that young people often seek is exactly what ISIS targets in their ad campaigns.

It's a shame this girl didn't survive her experience: not only because of the human tragedy, but because she would have been the perfect speaker to warn people what ISIS is really about.

Can't blame ISIS for doing what the US Army does ;-)  But young people are vulnerable by nature ... and predation is a Darwinian necessity.

I agree that many Muslims (at least the Arab ones) find the idea of ISIS attractive, even if they won't join it.  Kind of like White Americans who secretly admire the KKK or neo-Nazis ... but who don't ride Harleys and have "Mom" tattooed on their arm.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.