News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Might Makes Right

Started by Sal1981, November 25, 2015, 11:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

The common denunciation that someone is wrong because of the use of force, as per arguments sake, I've always found to be a bit lopsided.

Of course, if I claim, as per argument, that I'm correct because I can muscle my argument through, then not only is my argument poor, but it's only sustained by force.

But without some sense of "force", be it by muscle or Law-enacting police or strength of military or whatever - force is necessary for any argument to hold any sway one way or another. Think about it; what good is a Law without anything to enforce it?

I argue this is somewhat the same with any "argument": If you can't demonstrate by using some measure of force it will just be empty argumentation with no backing merit.

What do you think of this train of thought? Am I just befuddling Law and argument together? If so, what difference is there?

Baruch

Force - more than one definition.  One kind of force my be the rationality of the argument.  Another might be a thug taking your wallet.  The first is good, though passion would also be a plus in some cases.  But the second is definitely bad ... just because thugs are not worthy of argument.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solitary

In logic using force is not logical, because it doesn't mean the one using force is correct just because he used force. I go into a biker bar and one guy has a tattoo of and angel on his arm and another of a cross saying God is love, An d I go in and say God is a fairy tail. Who do you think wins the argument, and who do you think is correct. 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Baruch

"I can muscle my argument through" ... point being, the OP isn't using a black jack.  Maybe just showing off his massive muscles to Arnold or Sylvester ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jannabear

It's a primitive way of thinking, one that we're atleast starting to branch away from, though VERY slowly.