Guns: Europeans taking a page from Americans

Started by josephpalazzo, October 27, 2015, 04:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentFutility

Quote from: Shiranu on November 11, 2015, 12:58:47 AM
Horrifying.

United States: In 2010, unintentional firearm injuries caused the deaths of 606 people.
United Kingdom: 10.

Intentional homicide rates...

United States: 14,827 deaths (4.7 per 100,000 a  year)
United Kingdom: 653 deaths (1.0 per 100,000 a year)

If these criminals have all the guns, they sure are doing a terrible job of exploiting the advantage...

Having a gun in the house also makes you statistically more likely to be shot and even more-so than that if you are a woman.

And so on, and so forth... but these numbers are nothing new, they are pointed out time and time again, and people just close their ears and say, "Lalala, guns are cool, guns are a RIGHT, so the numbers don't matter!". And the circle will be unbroken until the end of time, or the quality of education increases. At least in civilized countries like the UK, people who completely disregard the actual facts of gun ownership don't make up the majority.

I didn't say guns, I said weapons. I don't want everyone to have easy access to firearms in the UK. I'm talking about legislation being overly punitive on people who use any instrument other than their own body to defend themselves with in the UK.

Your point is valid and I do agree with you, but I have a feeling you were having a go at me because of an assumption you've made about my views, so I hope that's now cleared up.

Shiranu

Fair enough, just assumed guns because of the thread. My bad.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur